General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Please say if I'm over stepping the mark here by posting something like this, but I think the forum needs one. We have one for television and there's plenty of news pieces which don't deserve their own thread but warrant discussion.

Like Edward Norton's cast as the villain in the new Bourne Film. With the two stars heading the franchise, maybe there is room for something good to come out of this.

Edward Norton wants to play spy games, too... the evil kind!

The "Fight Club" star will bring antagonism to Jeremy Renner's top-secret mission as he signs on to play the villain of "The Bourne Supremacy," according to Heat Vision.

Details on the plot of the Matt Damon-less "Bourne" reboot are still confidential, though we do know that Norton and Renner will be at odds with one another, probably as a team of CIA employees frantically type on their keyboards.

It'll be fun to see Norton in another villain role, something he hasn't indulged in since 2003's "The Italian Job" (you may remember he was a big baby about having to appear in that movie due to contractual obligations with Paramount).

We were recently impressed with Norton's dramatic turn in "Stone," in which he plays an incarcerated arsonist who finds religion (or does he?) as he tries to manipulate his parole officer (Robert De Niro) via the affections of his hot wife (Milla Jovovich).

"The Bourne Legacy" will be directed by regular series screenwriter Tony Gilroy. The cast also includes Rachel Weisz as Renner's love interest (uh oh -- we hope she fares better than Franka Potente did in the original trilogy).

Look for the new "Bourne" adventures to commence in theaters on Aug. 3, 2012.

Didnt realize we lacked one! Heres some good times...

Talk about a new Evil Dead film has been kicking around for awhile but as is usually the case with such fan-powered hopes and dreams, there's been no real substance to any of it. Until yesterday, that is, when DreadCentral.com claimed "on good authority from a very reliable source" that Bob Murawski, an editor whose partnership with director Sam Raimi goes back to the 1992 flick Army of Darkness, was in Detroit to start work on a fourth film. Evil Dead 4, according to the report, will be "a small indie thing like the first two."

That's good news, albeit still a rumor - but a rumor that got a big boost late last night by way of a tweet from none other than Bruce "Ash" Campbell, B-movie legend, best Elvis ever and of course the "hero," as far as that goes, of the Evil Dead franchise.

"Believe in the remake, dawg!" he wrote. "The project is real. In the works. Cool as hell. Scary as hell."

I'm not sure if the Evil Dead films qualify as scary, but cool as hell? Definitely. And a chance to watch Campbell smash things over his own head again? Take my money, please.

UPDATE: In a follow-up tweet, Campbell clarified that the new Evil Dead film is in fact a remake of the original Evil Dead and not an all-new chapter. "Good people. My tweet was about remaking Evil Dead - not Evil Dead 4," he wrote. Campbell's role in the project is not yet known.

It also appears that while Sam Raimi will be involved, Fede Alvarez will actually be in the director's chair. According to Bloody Disgusting, Alvarez came to attention with the 2009 short film Ataque de pánico! [Panic Attack!]

• 1 month later...

No Bill Murray? Ashton Kutcher?! The fuck?

I'm really, really hoping he signs on. It's not even worth bothering without Venkman!

I'm somewhere in between (fittingly). Didn't find it hilarious but there were a good deal of laugh out loud moments and I quite liked the story as well. It was cliche, yeah, but it's the British trying to make a teen film so it will be.

I was suprised how well it did at the box office. I mean, I knew alot of people my age were seriously excited - but it made something like £13 million in its first week, which, in terms of British box office, is pretty big if memory serves.

And ew, they're remaking Oldboy with Josh Brolin playing the lead :(

His name has been linked to the film for a while now, but Josh Brolin has signed on the dotted line to star in Spike Lee’s planned remake of Oldboy.

I Am Legend writer Mark Protosevich adapted the current script from Park Chan-Wook’s 2004 original. Brolin will feature as a man who is kidnapped on his daughter’s birthday and held by a mystery villain in solitary confinement for 15 years without knowing why. But when he’s released and handed the tools to get revenge on those who kept him a prisoner, he soon learns that it’s all part of a bigger plan. And, naturally, violence ensues…

Lee is taking over from Steven Spielberg, who originally nabbed the rights to remake the movie in 2008 and planned to have Will Smith in the lead. Now, though, Brolin will be the main man and there’s apparently an offer out to Christian Bale to play the villain, though he’s yet to make his mind up about any post-Dark Knight Rises work.

Brolin’s in for a busy time over the next few months: he’s about to start work on Gangster Squad before finding time for Oldboy and then Jason Reitman’s next planned movie, Labor Day, which sees him playing a fugitive on the run who hides out with Kate Winslet. He’ll next be seen in Men in Black 3, which finally arrives on May 25, 2012…

I hate the idea, though I was expecting much, much, much worse than Josh Brolin in the lead. He's actually probably one of the better name guys you could get in terms of playing the character.