General Movie Thread

Jimmy

On 13/06/2018 at 13:25, DFF said:

I saw the new Jurassic World film last night. It was... fine. Maybe a 3/5. 

To me it felt like two separate stories, each given around an hour to resolve. It meant the first half felt rushed as hell. I did quite enjoy the second half, but I think they could have made that a better 90-100 minute feature in its own right. 

Jurrasic World 2 spoilers:

Spoiler

I thought that the movie was average at best. But there is one major thing I have to give them credit for: They finally broke the status quo of the franchise. They did something they can't take back. Isla Nublar is destroyed (and IIRC there was a line in the new movie about how they moved all the remaining dinosaurs from Isla Sorna over to Islar Nublar). The dinosaur are out in the world. Pandora's box has been opened. If there is one thing that always bothered me about all the Jurassic Park sequels (other than that they all are pretty terrible), it is that until the latest installment they never really did tap the full potential of their premise. There are so many places they could've gone with the series. But every time they made a sequel it felt like they were simply trying to ape the success of the first movie. But now that they let the genie out of the bottle they can't simply return to the old formula. They have to come up with new ideas. I'm very much looking forward to the next movie.

Just the other day I was thinking that they need to make a film about Carlos Kaiser. If you don't know who he is, do read up on him.

Turns out someone made that film! I want to see this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =BK= said:

That looks awesome

• Like 1

I love that they've stuck with the idea of there being different Predator sub-races

As hyped as I am, you know what bugs me about these movies? They always have to have some kind of "Man is the ultimate Predator"  ending where there's a human that's won. Even in AvP movies. You create this uber-beasts and job them out to humans every time. I'm not here for humans! I'm here for the badass aliens!  Fuck, after this  give me Predator vs Jason or vs Terminators or something. A bootleg Suicide Squad doesn't intrigue me. 

The last fight in Jurassic World is super cool but just incredibly stupid.

They gave the dinosaurs moral alignments! The T-Rex just turned the fuck around and left back to it's pin! Also if the damn thing is smart enough to have that kind of thought process why did she need to lead it with a flare?! I kinda can understand the raptors since they were supposedly smarter than the average Dinosaur so maybe they could grow fond of a trainer from birth but pretty much any other Dinosaur should be presented as a creature of pure instinct. Did any of the older movies do this that I'm not remembering? IIRC all Dinosaur fights were happenstance or by design of human manipulation. Like in JP 3 the T-Rex only gets in a fight with the Spinosaurus because they went after the same prey.  This just seemed like they couldn't write a logical way to contain the T-Rex or didn't want to take the time to do so so they had it just go away.

Like, I get it. It's a hard to write ending. I'm trying right now and everything has a problem.

1.The T-Rex has is pure killer and wins. Great, the genetic abomination is dead but a loose, hungry T-Rex is still a hell of a problem. They just went a little ways back down shit creek. That's not an ending.

2. The Mosasaurus drags them both down. It solves the problem but it kills the T-Rex and the T-Rex is a crowd favorite so you don't wanna end the movie on everyone's favorite Dinosaur dying.

3. There's a couple lines in a scene after saying they lured it back to it's pin. That just belittles the T-Rex. The T-Rex takes a whole movie to get around years ago and they do it off screen? Nah.

But I'm not a paid writer. There has to be something.