General Movie Thread

Jimmy

7 hours ago, =BK= said:

As hyped as I am, you know what bugs me about these movies? They always have to have some kind of "Man is the ultimate Predator"  ending where there's a human that's won. Even in AvP movies. You create this uber-beasts and job them out to humans every time. I'm not here for humans! I'm here for the badass aliens!  Fuck, after this  give me Predator vs Jason or vs Terminators or something. A bootleg Suicide Squad doesn't intrigue me. 

Aw man. You wanna talk about Predators getting fucked over in their versus movie? Look at what they did to Jason in Freddy Vs Jason. They made the guy who lives on, you know, Camp Crystal Lake, who has a penchant for popping out of the lake and grabbing people? That guy? They made him afraid of fucking water. In the first AVP (From what I can remember, that movie I swear to god was filmed in a mineshaft in Alaska during the period where they don't get sunlight for two months) the Predator who are getting their asses kicked are just like, new hunter initiates. 

Jason being afraid of water makes sense logically but makes no sense canonically, yeah. It was a clever idea but the fact they were writing off the back of like ten movies previous fucked them.

And you are correct. The Predators that typically hunt basic Xenomorphs are just entering adulthood and killing one is their rite of passage and the beginning of them as hunters.

50 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

No idea where to really put this. Shaun Weiss, Goldberg from The Mighty Ducks, was arrested for public intoxication. My god, poor guy looks roooough.

Image result for shaun weiss

What the absolute fuuuuuuck? 

He’s THIRTY-EIGHT. 

Kids. Don’t do meth.

15 hours ago, MDK said:

I felt like watching Tropic Thunder for some reason. What are some other meta-films that take the piss out of mainstream and Hollywood?

This is the end is a damn fun meta film set at a Hollywood party whilst the apocalypse happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9 to 5 said:

I can get why people might be weirded out by a straight man playing a gay character "who is hugely effete, very camp and very funny". I mean, that sounds a lot like gay blackface... Gayface(?), basically having a straight man play a stereotypically over-the-top gay... gay.

I don't think a straight man playing someone who is gay isn't neccesarily what people have problems with here, mostly the fact that the character will be over the top flamboyant fuh-laming. And for such a character to be the first openly gay male lead, it feels like an extremely outdated stereotype to go with, especially for a company such as Disney which seems to be extremely image conscious. Why not go with a gay character who is... just a person who happens to be gay, like most gay people seem to be in real life?

In general I don't see the guffaw about sexuality as a whole, I don't feel it needs to matter if a character is straight/gay/bi/pan/pot/omni-sexual or any other nomer that they might identify with. I'm cool with it, you know.

I'd say John Barrowman did a better job being a (gay) lead actor playing a bisexual man with a male significant other in Jack Harkness on Torchwood.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Judging by the way they're hyping, Disney already tried the "regular guy who likes guys" thing in Beauty and the Beast and it was far too subtle to the extent they're not counting him as a gay character any more. There is a bit of the same complaints that the Scarlett Johansson film that had to be scrapped had relating to "it should be an actual gay person playing the part" but I am with you that I'm more worried about his description which reeks of homosexual caricature, given subtlety and nuance aren't particularly Whitehalls strengths that's a bit worrying

• Like 1

No. It’s about what roles have been traditionally offered to and cast with queer people vs. straight people. Especially if this is meant to be such a momtentous first, cast someone with the lived experience to do justice to the role.

Add to that the camp, etc. description and you have a powder keg of misrepresentation ready to blow, only making things more difficult for queer folks.

29 minutes ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

No. It’s about what roles have been traditionally offered to and cast with queer people vs. straight people. Especially if this is meant to be such a momtentous first, cast someone with the lived experience to do justice to the role.

Add to that the camp, etc. description and you have a powder keg of misrepresentation ready to blow, only making things more difficult for queer folks.

So who are allowed to play what?

Just now, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

More accurately, no one is explicitly allowed or disallowed from playing anyone. But I feel this reflects poorly on Jack, the director, the producers, and the writers.

So then what the fuck? It is acting. I'm boycotting [INSERT FILM] because they had [INSERT ACTOR]! playing [ROLE]!

Just now, GA! said:

I mean with my wang. :wub: :wub:

Let me get my body triple ho ho ho