Cricket!

nabeel

• 5 months later...

Basic rules:

England play Australia.

England capitulate.

England lose.

Advanced rules:

Cricket is played between two teams of 11. Each team will get a chance to bat and bowl. Batting is where you score your points or "runs". Once the bowling team have got 10 of the 11 batsmen out then the teams switch over.

There are variations in match lengths:

20/20: Each team bats for 20 overs. An over is made up of 6 balls bowled by the same player. After those 6 balls ANOTHER player has to bowl 6 balls. After that either the other player can bowl again or another. No player can bowl more than 1 over in a row. Once one team has batted for 20 overs the other team bats. If they get more runs, they win. If they get less or lose all their players before they get the score needed, they lose.

40/45/50 overs: This is the usual game played on a Sunday in England. Like 20 overs but with more time to score runs. Batsmen will score at a slower rate, trying to make sure their team lasts ALL the overs but still try to score enough runs to win. When they're all out, or after the full overs they switch and the other team tries to beat the score.

5 day test match: In a five day game two teams play the same match for five days. On average there are around 90 overs bowled in a day. One team bats, when they're all out, or think they've scored enough and 'declare' their innings over the other team bat. Then the first team bats again and then the second. If the second team scores more than the first then they win. If the second team is STILL in, but does not have enough runs to win after five days then it's a draw. If the first team gets everyone out in the second team then they win.

The Ashes is always played between England and Australia. This is basically the best of five 5 day test matches. The series can be a draw or one team can win.

Right then.

BATTING:

The eleven players are listed in order, with their best batsmen towards the top of their list, and the players who are in the team for their bowling ability at the bottom (this is called the tail). The wicket keeper (like the backstop) will normally be alright at batting and will go between the proper batsmen and the rubbish batsmen.

The first two players go in to bat. When one of them is out, the next player on the list goes in to play with the one who is already in there. When another is out, the next player goes in and so on.

Basically to score a batsman will hit the ball and the two players will run down the pitch, crossing over. When they reach the other end that is 1 run. If the ball goes over the boundary rope that is 4 runs. If it goes over without bouncing that is six runs. The team also get a run if the bowler bowls (throws) the ball too wide or if it hits their leg and they run, or for a few other reasons.

A batsmen can be out if:

+ The ball is bowled and hits the wicket (the wooden stumps behind them) and at least one of the bails comes off.

+ Thy hit the ball and another player catches it without it bouncing.

+ The ball hits their leg and the umpire (the referee) decides that if their leg was not there the ball would have hit the wicket.

+ If when they run the ball hits the wicket before they have reached it.

+ If the wicket keeper throws the ball at the wicket when they are out of their batting line.

+ A few bizarre other ways including timed out, hit wicket, double hit. These aren't common.

BOWLING:

The ball is bowled overarm and must bounce once before it reaches the batsman. It CAN get to them without bouncing but if it is too high up the body a foul is called and a run is given to the batting team.

A fast bowler will bowl up to 100 mph.

A bowler may bowl quickly, or will try to make the ball swing around as it gets to the batsman, or may bowl slower but make the ball spin sharply towards or away from the batsman which can make it VERY hard to hit.

Bowlers will often bowl in "spells" of bowling every other over for a while. This means that the order of bowling may go something like this:

OVER 1: Hoggard

OVER 2: Harmison

OVER 3: Hoggard

OVER 4: Harmison

OVER 5: Hoggard

OVER 6: Harmison

OVER 7: Flintoff

OVER 8: Harmison

OVER 9: Flintoff

OVER 10: Panesar

OVER 11: Flintoff

OVER 12: Panesar

• 5 weeks later...

Since it's the only cricket I'll watch religiously this year, I thought it'd warrant a thread. Squads are being announced during the day, and so far Sri Lanka and India are up. Discuss.

India

Rahul Dravid (capt), Sourav Ganguly, Robin Uthappa, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik, Irfan Pathan, Ajit Agarkar, Harbhajan Singh, Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel.

Sri Lanka

Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Kumar Sangakkara (wk), Sanath Jayasuriya, Upul Tharanga, Marvan Atapattu, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Russel Arnold, Chamara Silva, Chaminda Vaas, Farveez Maharoof, Lasith Malinga, Dilhara Fernando, Nuwan Kulasekara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Malinga Bandara

New Zealand

Stephen Fleming (capt), Shane Bond, James Franklin, Peter Fulton, Mark Gillespie, Michael Mason, Brendon McCullum (wk), Craig McMillan, Jacob Oram, Jeetan Patel, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Daryl Tuffey, Daniel Vettori, Lou Vincent.

For conveniences sake, I'll edit all other squads in here as they come. Also, for those not in the know, pools look like this:

GROUP A

Australia

South Africa

Scotland

The Netherlands

GROUP B

Sri Lanka

India

Bangladesh

Bermuda

GROUP C

New Zealand

England

Kenya

Canada

GROUP D

Pakistan

West Indies

Zimbabwe

Ireland

It's Bermuda and Ireland's first ever appearance in the tournament!

Edited by Misanthrope

Favourites:

Aussie - Obvious Reasons

South Africa - been in good form against Pakistan

Wildcards:

England - Who would a thunk it?

New Zealand - if they can just get over the line more often

Sri Lanka, India, West Indians and Pakistan could all win if they found some more consistency.

Everyone else is just there to make up the numbers.

Edited by SwantonEdge

Right, so swanton named pretty much every decent team, but i feel like naming the two i can see winning.

The Aussies : They are almost the perfect side, however, without Andrew Symonds (ROY!) they lack that extra edge that pushes them ahead of the pack. If he is fit, I'm pretty sure they will come out on top.

South Africa : I like the SAs they have a nicely balanced lineup with a good mixture of bowlers and batters. Kallis, Smith and Pollock will be vital to them doing well, if they fire SA fire.

I'll mention England, I think they can mount a challenge but fall in the Semi Finals to The Aussies. Down to KP and Flintoff though.

I love South Africa cos of their middle order of big hitting all rounders. They've batted down to number 10 in the past (Pollock who would bat at 7 in MANY other teams) and they're jsut an exciting team when batting and in the field. Their bowling's a bit middling in patches but they're a cool team - my favourite outside of England.

Who's gonna win though? Probably an Asian team, and probably Pakistan, I HATE Pakistan so they're bound to win.

Well if it's down to the Pakistani board as to whether to ban them or not of course they'll play.

That's the difference, English boards ban players all the time because of what they've done. Countries like Pakistan are like "Meh, we've got more chance if they play" and so overturn rulings for their own means. Scumbags.

Don't be surprises to see the Windies jump up another notch. The Cup is in their back yard, after all. Plus you can never write off a side that includes Chris Gayle and Brian Lara.

Are the Canadians any good?

New Zealand's squad:

Stephen Fleming (capt), Shane Bond, James Franklin, Peter Fulton, Mark Gillespie, Michael Mason, Brendon McCullum (wk), Craig McMillan, Jacob Oram, Jeetan Patel, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Daryl Tuffey, Daniel Vettori, Lou Vincent.

My Australian squad:

Gilchrist (who will miss first few weeks)

Hayden

Ponting

Clarke

Hodge

Hussey

Symonds

Lee

Bracken

Johnson

McGrath

White can be 12th man and just come on to field :P

For the other three I'd have Haddin, Tait and either Watson or Hogg.