Lou Reed and Metallica recorded an album together

RPS

On 26/09/2011 at 10:16, Lineker said:

*reads thread title*

Blimey, talk about left of field...

*listens*

oh wow this is not good.

I always wondered why Linekles never posted in the music forum and I guess it must be because he heard Lou Reed and Metallica and now assumes that’s what all music is like.

Silly Linkles, not all music is bad! Go and listen to Charles & Eddie or the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I always wondered why Linekles never posted in the music forum and I guess it must be because he heard Lou Reed and Metallica and now assumes that’s what all music is like.

Silly Linkles, not all music is bad! Go and listen to Charles & Eddie or the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

What did you think of Lulu? 

10 hours ago, RPS said:

What did you think of Lulu? 

Got to admit that while I've always found it intriguing I've never listened to it aside from a few snippets.

But in any case I'm not the biggest fan of post-VU Lou Reed anyway. Aside from Walk on the Wild Side, which is sublime, I can take or leave pretty much everything else he's done. So given my lack of interest in his "good" stuff I don't think I need to hear him mumbling along on top of Lars Ulrich's Incredibly Loud Cymbal.

How did you find it?

On 05/11/2011 at 11:08, RPS said:

I actually listened to the whole album. I really don't know what to think. Part of me thinks its a huge practical joke. Part of me thinks it sounds like two musical icons basically releasing whatever the fuck they want to do, devoid of any standards and expectations. Part of me thinks its the worst album I've ever heard. But than I also think it's the best album I've ever heard? It's entertaining to say the very least.

This stands up.

It's both audacious and completely unlistenable. I think it's interesting it was made but the thought of listening to the entire album is my definition of torture. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DFF said:

I AM THE TABLE!

To describe one favorite lyric from the album is just so difficult. I am indifferent to "If I waggle my ass like a dark prostitute/Would you think less of me". 

• Haha 1

I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually listen to Lulu. But I have read the lyrics of some of the songs on Genius and I can hear Lou Reed performing them in my head. I feel like that's enough.

Mainly, while I like Lou Reed to a point. I liked his good work and I liked some of his less than good work. I just don't like Metallica even at what people say is their best.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, metalman said:

I used to like Lou Reed and now I don't.

I used to dislike Metallica and now I like them.

Isn't that fascinating? I'm such an interesting person.

You should tell us the reasoning during the next episode of "Metalman Drives His Truck!"

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually listen to Lulu. But I have read the lyrics of some of the songs on Genius and I can hear Lou Reed performing them in my head. I feel like that's enough.

Mainly, while I like Lou Reed to a point. I liked his good work and I liked some of his less than good work. I just don't like Metallica even at what people say is their best.

It is so interesting, because I can distinctly remember the songs from Lulu years after not hearing them because they are so memorable. Just not memorable for the right reasons. 

20 minutes ago, metalman said:

I used to like Lou Reed and now I don't.

I used to dislike Metallica and now I like them.

Isn't that fascinating? I'm such an interesting person.

I can't wait to find out where you go next!

I still remember when this album was coming out.  The morning show I listened to at the time was hyping it the fuck up.  "Remember everyone!  During our 10 o'clock hour we will be DEBUTING the single from the Lou Reed and Metallica album 'Lulu'!  MAke sure you stay tuned to hear it here first!" or something similar every 30 minutes.

Then they played it.  The one host after jsut goes "Uhhh...ok...", one of the producers went "Well that was...something"

They had been doing the paid promotion hype for it then, when they didn't like it, had no idea what to say.  They couldn't even be fake hyped for it anymore

I'm surprised I gave the album a middling review back in 2011 and gave Metallica more credit than they deserved. I distinctly remember saying somewhere that, even though I'm a huge Metallica fan and never been arsed by Lou Reed's work, Metallica's contribution was not up to scratch compared to what Reed brought to THE TABLE.

I've not listened to Lulu since that review, and it's rare for me to never revisit an album.

I think people tend to find things a bit better when they hear it first time. I dug up this thread because I was looking for something about Metallica and I was amused to see the amount of people in the Death Magnetic thread giving it 10/10 or saying it was their favourite album ever. Wonder if they still feel the same way...

On 09/04/2021 at 11:41, metalman said:

I think people tend to find things a bit better when they hear it first time. I dug up this thread because I was looking for something about Metallica and I was amused to see the amount of people in the Death Magnetic thread giving it 10/10 or saying it was their favourite album ever. Wonder if they still feel the same way...

I was probably one of them, and no. I'd only rank it better than Kill Em All and St Anger.

• Like 1

I honestly didn't completely hate it. 

I know it's ten years ago...

But I mean, it was kinda just some heavy rock with Lou Reed, didn't bother me too much. 

I love the Velvet Underground, and I love Lou Reed's solo album Transformer but maybe wouldn't count myself a huge Lou Reed fanboy (give me Iggy Pop or Bowie any day). I really don't Metallica, just not my cup of tea when it comes to metal. As far as big four of thrash goes I'll fuckin take Anthrax and Slayer (acknowledging the weird right wing shit associated with Slayer) any day. 

I do get the appeal of Metallica though. For people that grew up in the 80s and 90s I can see where they thought they were such a cool heavy take no shit metal band. They seemed fresh and exciting, and obviously did something right because they're fucking huge. I guess you can't expect people to record insane thrash forever but my god Metallica went from this cool sorta "my friends older brother gets high and listens to this in his shitty van" to "this is just watered down ass". 

I remember really digging Death Magnetic for a while, not been back to it for a good few years though. For me, Metallica are now just a 'oh cool, they are headlining this festival' type band. You know you'll get the majority of the classics, and their last couple of releases were perfectly fine and have some tracks that work well live.

Death Magnetic's fine but I think I prefer Hardwired to it. I struggle to remember the singles off Death Magnetic but Hardwired had Atlas, Rise! and Moth Into Flame, which I thought were both pretty good tracks.