Grand Theft Auto V

IzzyX

Detroit was Carcer City from Mahnunt. I'd say DC is a good bet given the bank note font they're using on the 5.

D.C. is the only as-yet unchartered US territory that I'd be excited to see them do here. Revisiting San Andreas in modern day would be immense though, something like that. I'd like to see if they could do it justice going somewhere abroad too, somewhere with a distinct culture that they can get a lot out of.

While GTA IV wasn't as fun as San Andreas (going on a cop chase through the woods or desert? so much fun!), it was still a very fun game, in my mind. Even if they decide to take another crack at the 'serious' game, I won't complain. Let GTA be the more grown up one, and let Saints Row cover the over-the-top balls-to-the-wall gameplay.

Just as long as there is multiplayer free roam. And helicopters. So much fun :D

I really hope that they implement Red Dead Redemption's checkpoint system into this new game. I've had great fun with GTA over the years, but its most frustrating aspect has always been the whole "drive across city to receive mission briefing; watch cutscene in which said debriefing is given; repeat entire process once you fail the mission" rigmarole. It always broke the flow of the game for me and was the main reason that I found it difficult to engage with the storylines.

I really hope that they implement Red Dead Redemption's checkpoint system into this new game. I've had great fun with GTA over the years, but its most frustrating aspect has always been the whole "drive across city to receive mission briefing; watch cutscene in which said debriefing is given; repeat entire process once you fail the mission" rigmarole. It always broke the flow of the game for me and was the main reason that I found it difficult to engage with the storylines.

Wasn't that fixed in IV? If you fail a mission you can redo it by pressing some button on your cellphone.

I'm really excited for this news. The way the stylized roman numeral five looks like US money makes me think they're doing something with a Washington, D.C. motif. That sounds like an awesome setting for a story, but it would make for a radically different GTA game. The city, at least the most famous part of the city, is full of Roman-esque architecture and all of the buildings are very low. A GTA without sweeping skyscrapers would be an interesting change, but I must admit that it would gimp the sandbox gameplay mode.

D.C. also seems like a lightning rod for political correctness controversy, but that might be by design I guess. Either way, if they were pressured into removing airplanes from IV (III I can understand) because of the most ridiculously tenuous connection to 9/11 ever, I can't imagine how the overly-sensitive types would feel about the potential of blowing up some offshoot of the Lincoln Memorial or something.

Anyways, yeah, I wonder what new gameplay mechanics we'll get? I'm hoping for proper environmental damage. It would be so fun to be able to bring down entire buildings and stuff. That and the return of character creation would make me so happy. And, goddamnit, bring back the bicycle, Rockstar.

Anyone want to speculate on a release date? I'm going to say May 2012. Rockstar has been staking their claim to April/May the last few years.

Anyone want to speculate on a release date? I'm going to say May 2012. Rockstar has been staking their claim to April/May the last few years.

Seems like a short window from announcement to release though. I wouldn't be shocked if they try to make this the October/November 2012 must-have game.

Though you are right, the last few years their big game has come out in about May.