Grand Theft Auto V

IzzyX

Anyone want to speculate on a release date? I'm going to say May 2012. Rockstar has been staking their claim to April/May the last few years.

Seems like a short window from announcement to release though. I wouldn't be shocked if they try to make this the October/November 2012 must-have game.

Though you are right, the last few years their big game has come out in about May.

For all we know, they've been working on the game since GTA IV came out....the game could be more or less done.

Anyone want to speculate on a release date? I'm going to say May 2012. Rockstar has been staking their claim to April/May the last few years.

Seems like a short window from announcement to release though. I wouldn't be shocked if they try to make this the October/November 2012 must-have game.

Though you are right, the last few years their big game has come out in about May.

For all we know, they've been working on the game since GTA IV came out....the game could be more or less done.

Ruki, I'm shocked you've heard about this game. I thought I'd be explaining to you why you should buy it a week before it's release.

Regardless this is going to be the shit. I got Vice city the day it came out and i took the day off of work to get San Andreas and i skipped college for number 4. So Yeah I am a little excited.

I really hope that they implement Red Dead Redemption's checkpoint system into this new game. I've had great fun with GTA over the years, but its most frustrating aspect has always been the whole "drive across city to receive mission briefing; watch cutscene in which said debriefing is given; repeat entire process once you fail the mission" rigmarole. It always broke the flow of the game for me and was the main reason that I found it difficult to engage with the storylines.

Wasn't that fixed in IV? If you fail a mission you can redo it by pressing some button on your cellphone.

That's true, but I'm fairly sure that you still lost all your weapons/armour if you used that method. They made it slightly more lenient in the DLC episodes, but I think RDR's model works best.

There just seems to be a certain sequence of marketing these video game developers do for the big releases and the marketing cycle lasts at least a year. Teaser trailer, a couple of news releases, another trailer, gameplay trailer, hands-on samples, a major TV commercial, beta/demo, and then release. Rockstar isn't required to uphold this standard though, and a short wait from announcement to release would be great and wouldn't overhype the game too much. So I hope you're right but call me skeptical.

Oh yes! :w00t:

I loved GTA IV with its gritty realism and incredibly detailed city. I understand how people thought it was too serious but I hope it doesn't go too goofy because the new Saints Row seems to have taken it too far on the other side of the scale for my liking.

As far as cities go, I'd like to see somewhere outside of America but if we got an accurate representaion of DC, Vegas, Detroit Chicago oe even return to a more detailed San Andreas, I wouldn't mind either.

Either way I'm psyched and will be buying this come release day no matter what.

Oh yes! :w00t:

I loved GTA IV with its gritty realism and incredibly detailed city. I understand how people thought it was too serious but I hope it doesn't go too goofy because the new Saints Row seems to have taken it too far on the other side of the scale for my liking.

Ditto. Saint's Row is just ridiculous. I thought RDR captured the GTA 3 era charm, with a main character you could like, whilst making the goofy stuff in some of the side characters.

Echoing the sentiments of GTA4 being boring. And I for the most part hated multiplayer. Getting picked off by some guy around a corner with a pea shooter from 3 blocks away wasn't my idea of fun.

LIberty City was just too grey and dismal (I guess it reminds me of the 'town' where my university was then <_<). I absolutely adore Vice City just for the feel of the city, it's vibrancy, it's colours, it felt like you were in a sunny, rich party destination. And even with San Andreas it felt like you were actually in a sprawling city ranging from the rich end of town to the troubled ghettos, and then compare that with the difference in each of the cities/counties, it just felt different. Liberty City was just far too dull, I get enough of that looking out my windows. <_< And one part was largely indistinguishable from another. Both Vice City & San Andreas had plenty of landmarks and generally were a breeze to get around.

The tl;dr is I hope they make Vice City 2011. (especially after having recently watched Drive, they go hand in hand.)

• Like 1

So we could fly a helicopter into the Greenhouse? :w00t:

I was thinking Blackhouse.

As for GTAIV, I understand the complaints, but I liked it. There were a ton of great characters and some stellar missions, but I totally get the "too serious" complaint.

I'll also echo the hope that it's set in a modern-day San Andreas, from a Latino perspective. I loved SA, and I always wanted to play as Cesar -- it'd be really neat to see which SA characters are still around (or not). Woozie cameo! :shifty:

Autumn 2012 is most likely.

Nah, IIRC Rockstar like to release their big games in the spring/early summer, less competition with the other big franchises.

I'd like to see them do something really out there like Colombia or something, but it'll probably be DC or Vegas. Though I do support GTA Blackpool, so long as you can travel as far south as Manchester, I'd take great pleasure in blowing the shit out of Old Trafford over and over again.