General Snooker Thread

ONO

I can't believe nobody has posted about this, at all. It's a brilliant final. Bit pissed that it's went on this long (Pushing back Have I Got News For You <_<). However, it's damn entertaining. Poor Dott has played some terrible shots, due to the pressure and all, as well as Ebdon, which is understandable. I want Dott to win. Ebdon bores the fucking shit out of me, and at this moment in time, Dott needs this frame, to win.

• 1 year later...
GLOBAL AUDIENCE SET FOR SNOOKER SHOW

With the popularity of snooker growing in numerous regions internationally, this year's tournament is being broadcast to an unprecedented number of countries around the globe.

Fans in 77 different territories will be able to follow the action live from the Crucible thanks to host broadcaster BBC as well as Eurosport (Europe/Middle East/North Africa), Showtime Arabia (Middle East), CCTV (China), Shanghai Media Group (China), Now TV (Hong Kong/Macau) and Cineplex (Thailand).

Adam Kelly, Marketing Director of IMG Media, said: "Snooker is being seen by an ever-wider audience and this growth is set to continue for years to come. IMG Media takes great pride in the role it plays in developing this growth, alongside World Snooker."

Last year, BBC generated 138 hours of coverage, reaching over 27 million viewers in the UK, while Eurosport provided 144 hours, reaching 57 million people.

The growth in popularity of snooker internationally is also reflected in the vast and varied number of applications made to World Snooker's press office for media accreditation. Journalists from China, Latvia, Italy, Switzerland, Holland, Germany and Denmark will be among those reporting from Sheffield.

There's also an international feel to the event on the table with a record four players from the Far East. Ding Junhui, Liang Wenbo and Liu Chuang from mainland China and Marco Fu from Hong Kong are all aiming to become the only non-British or Irish player other than Cliff Thorburn to lift the famous trophy.

Canada's Thorburn will be present backstage at the tournament to mark the 25th anniversary of his 147 in 1983 – the first maximum break ever made in the Championship.

Familiar stars such as defending 888.com World Champion John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Mark Selby, Shaun Murphy, Stephen Maguire and Steve Davis will also be battling for the title and £250,000 top prize.

The 888.com World Snooker Championship, which runs from April 19 to May 5, attracts many thousands of fans to the famous Crucible arena. The theatre is currently under-going a £15.3 million renovation project, but will re-open each year for snooker's most important tournament.

The Draw

I want O'Sullivan to add to his UK Championship win but my moneys on Stephen Maguire.

Edited by brenchill

I've loved snooker ever since I was a kid and am really looking forward to this years competition.

Should be a goodun. I'm always rooting for O Sullivan but there's always so many people that can win it. Sad that Jimmy White didnt qualify this year, wont be the same without him.

Looking at that draw there's a few potential fantastic matches in the 2nd round. Ding Junhui vs Stephen Hendry and Ronnie O Sullivan vs Mark Williams could be brilliant if those guys get through. Marco Fu would be a good opponent for Hendry as well, but from what i've seen of Junhui in the last 2-3 years he has the potential to be one of the best of all time.

Edited by SilentBob2004

Maguire has potentially the easiest route to the quarter finals. Williams is meant to be back on form aswell. I hope O'Sullivan can bring his "A" game to the tournement but you never know what mindset he's going to be in and the China Open incident wasn't a good indication.

Edited by brenchill

• 2 weeks later...