Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

6 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

You're missing a case, to be captain obvious. Also a keyboard/mouse, if you need one. Or a sound set, if you don't have one.

I've got a mouse already and I think I have a keyboard at home. Added a case, and already got some speakers but I suppose I could upgrade.

If you have any spare cash I'd consider picking up a SSD. It's more a preference than a necessity but if you play games that have a lot of loading/maps etc it definitely help in that aspect.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rocky said:

If you have any spare cash I'd consider picking up a SSD. It's more a preference than a necessity but if you play games that have a lot of loading/maps etc it definitely help in that aspect.

That's about the only improvement I'd suggest as well. For £70 or so you can get a 240 GB one, which basically is the bare minimum capacity I'd suggest for the operating system and a game or two.

Below is what I'm pulling together for the build I mentioned yesterday (bolded is what I already purchased):

Spoiler

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $188.49 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.88 @ OutletPC
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $7.18 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-Z270M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $113.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $115.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $107.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $88.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB Gaming 8G Video Card $220.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair - 300R ATX Mid Tower Case $79.88 @ OutletPC
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung - SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer $23.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.00 @ Jet
Case Fan Corsair - Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans $25.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus - VS239H-P 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor $131.49 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Corsair - STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard $94.49 @ OutletPC
Mouse Razer - DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse $44.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech - Z200 0W 2ch Speakers $22.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1510.78
  Mail-in rebates -$25.00
  Total $1485.78

• Like 2

Does the kind of motherboard matter that much? I found one for £43, virtually half the price of my original one, and I don't see why I wouldn't get the cheaper one until it does matter.

22 minutes ago, Owen said:

Does the kind of motherboard matter that much? I found one for £43, virtually half the price of my original one, and I don't see why I wouldn't get the cheaper one until it does matter.

Check whether or not it supports your memory. The number behind the DDR4 part e.g. DDR3-1600. If the motherboard supports lower, it won't make your memory run at full efficiency.

Also SATA slots, with two drives you'll use at least two, adding optical drives and other stuff will take up sata slots too. You'll want SATA3/SATA600, works fine for optical drives, but will bottleneck your storage devices, especially SSD's.

How many PCI-E slots are in there, there should be at least on in there so you can put in a graphical card. But if there's more you could in the future add other devices like audio, ethernet, or w.e. a man might need.

That should be everything, I think.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Check whether or not it supports your memory. The number behind the DDR4 part e.g. DDR3-1600. If the motherboard supports lower, it won't make your memory run at full efficiency.

Also SATA slots, with two drives you'll use at least two, adding optical drives and other stuff will take up sata slots too. You'll want SATA3/SATA600, works fine for optical drives, but will bottleneck your storage devices, especially SSD's.

How many PCI-E slots are in there, there should be at least on in there so you can put in a graphical card. But if there's more you could in the future add other devices like audio, ethernet, or w.e. a man might need.

That should be everything, I think.

Nailed it. Less important but still useful to know is the number of RAM slots and max capacity of RAM supported. In the case of your motherboard, 4 slots and 32 GB max. Then again, unless you develop a sudden interest in virtual machines/video and photo editing, you'll likely won't get use out of going past 16 GB beside dick waving to others

If budget was no issue and you were utterly psychotic, you can buy motherboards using Intel's X99 chipset that support eight slots and 128 GB max RAM.

Anyone have Rock God Tycoon? If so, recommend or not?

Okay, made a couple changes. Getting the NVIDIA GTX 1060 instead of the 1050 Ti and a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P motherboard :) aaaaand bought! EXCITING.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

For $10 I may pick it up and see what it's like. I use to have an old Rock band manager game that I played the crap out of, but can't even think of what it was called now. I think I was terrible at it, but it was still fun.

I remember a similar game. Chart Wars where you ran a record label. 

• Like 3

I am excited for the Daniel Bryan cameo.

• Like 1