Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

39 minutes ago, Apsham said:

All the worlds, not just Gotham - and so be it if it is, but it's not really what I'm looking for when I'm thinking about something in line with CoH.

I see.

On one hand, that would fit with a villain concept I have in mind. On the other, I do agree (Although pretty much all of the Rogue Islands were pretty bleak, albeit not necessarily grungy per se).

How is the character customization in DCU though? Is roleplaying a thing that happens? Specifically are there roleplay-heavy servers?

14 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

CoH nostalgia is hitting me hard.

I might see if I can reclaim the magic.

DCU Online or Champions Online?

I'm looking for customization and roleplay above all else. Leaning on Champions because CoH devs worked on it so I know there will be customization.

I am familiar with the Champions universe, so the familiarity of DCU isn't a plus for me.

I've played all 3 games: CoH, DCUO and CO. Though to be fair I played Champions Online back when Atari ran it and it hadn't gone F2P.

If you're going to subscribe, go for CO. I tried it F2P and didn't care for it at all. The customization sucks if you don't pay.

DCUO I used to love, but you're more or less locked out of most of the content if you don't subscribe. The money situation REALLY sucks for non-subscribers.  Except for special events, you can't do much of anything once you hit level 30. They just did a total stats revamp, and added a new powerset: Water. (I believe it's a healer set). As far as the stats revamp goes, they also changed how you gain powers and revamped some of them. More or less, instead of picking between powers in a set at various points, you now unlock them all eventually. 

I'll also let you in on one sneaky trick: If you subscribe for a month, and create a hero or villain with a powerset that's normally locked if you don't pay, you keep that character once you cancel the subscription. BUT....you don't keep the extra character slots from subscribing. Those become locked. So unless you buy additional character slots, you won't be able to make characters with all the locked powersets and keep them all. (And if you don't sub and buy an additional character slot, you can only use it to unlock a locked character, not make a new one, if you have extra characters.)

Oh, and a major recommendation: Avoid Acrobatics as a travel power. It's a right bitch in a lot of zones and during some team-ups, because it's easily the slowest travel power. My very first character I made is the only one I have with that travel power. (There's one 8 man mission that I've showed up just as the final boss is going down a few times due to it being slow as hell.) Skimming, which is locked to non-subscribers, is just Flying with different animations. They have the same exact abilities. (And yes, you make a character with Skimming, you keep it when your subscription is done.)

Incidentally, I don't know the status of it, but some people formerly associated with COH are working on a new game called City of Titans. I've heard it will have greater customization than CoH, but that's all I really know about it at this point.

Well looks like I might have to go with Champions if DCUO won't let me stay connected for more than two fucken minutes

2 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I'm busy tonight and tomorrow is my oldest daughter's birthday, but I should be available some on Sunday to tangle at Dead By Daylight @RPS. If you see me on steam, just send me a message. 

I would be down! If anyone from EWB has it, we can group up. 

5 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Well looks like I might have to go with Champions if DCUO won't let me stay connected for more than two fucken minutes

DCUO is probably having issues due to server overload because of the new powerset going live. Whenever there's a big update or event, things like that happen for a day or two.

One night during an event (the anniversary one, I believe) the Watchtower was so laggy I couldn't buy anything from the market, and it too 30 seconds just for the market screen to load. 

I still play DCUO occasionally, but due to me being mid-tier (ie, I spent money but am not a subscriber anymore), meaning I can't do much, all I really do is level up low level alts and run 8-mans.I can't afford to subscribe anymore because I really don't play it often enough each month anymore to justify it. Playing *maybe* 8 days a month (and not all in a row) isn't worth it. And it's not because I got bored with it. It's that I don't have the time for it. My league also changed their raiding schedule, and mostly do episodes I'm not high level enough one of the two nights they raid, and I don't want to find a new league.

well Champions is working for me, not sure if I'll buy a premium powerset for the character I have in mind.

Had to jump through an annoying amount of hoops just to log in though :(N):

I don't know if it is still that way, but when Champions Online started out, Munitions was overpowered as hell. My first hero, Midnight Crusader, was Munitions, and after I had it powered up a bit, I called the Gatling Gun my lawn mower. For good reason. Sniper Rifle was also lethal when close to maxed out, but situational/ranged fight starter since it is charged.

He was almost purely Munitions, except I gave him Regeneration from the Supernatural power set, and he had Flight. I had him using Swinging at first, but it's a bitch if you get hit with lag. The Ice Slide also sucks if you have that problem; had an Ice/Gadgeteering hero who I used Ice Slide with for about ten minutes before I switched it out for Flight.

Not my favorite hero, though. That was Boneyard, who was a combination of Munitions and Supernatural, with a few other powers I forget thrown in. Boneyard was a former hitman betrayed and left for dead by the Purple Gang, but resurrected as a vigilante/anti-hero. When I played him, he used non-lethal ammo on most villains, but if it was the Purple Gang he was facing, he left behind corpses. For some strange reason I can't remember, I gave him the Earth Flight travel power.

When I played City of Heroes, GhostMachine (my avatar here) had a similar vendetta against Crey Industries, because they were responsible for the accident that caused him to become a cyborg to save his life. And I actually got a mention in a text story in an issue of the CoH comics. :)

6 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I don't know if it is still that way, but when Champions Online started out, Munitions was overpowered as hell. My first hero, Midnight Crusader, was Munitions, and after I had it powered up a bit, I called the Gatling Gun my lawn mower. For good reason. Sniper Rifle was also lethal when close to maxed out, but situational/ranged fight starter since it is charged.

He was almost purely Munitions, except I gave him Regeneration from the Supernatural power set, and he had Flight. I had him using Swinging at first, but it's a bitch if you get hit with lag. The Ice Slide also sucks if you have that problem; had an Ice/Gadgeteering hero who I used Ice Slide with for about ten minutes before I switched it out for Flight.

Not my favorite hero, though. That was Boneyard, who was a combination of Munitions and Supernatural, with a few other powers I forget thrown in. Boneyard was a former hitman betrayed and left for dead by the Purple Gang, but resurrected as a vigilante/anti-hero. When I played him, he used non-lethal ammo on most villains, but if it was the Purple Gang he was facing, he left behind corpses. For some strange reason I can't remember, I gave him the Earth Flight travel power.

When I played City of Heroes, GhostMachine (my avatar here) had a similar vendetta against Crey Industries, because they were responsible for the accident that caused him to become a cyborg to save his life. And I actually got a mention in a text story in an issue of the CoH comics. :)

Bolded: Awesome! The closest thing I ever got to that was being somewhat notable for getting away with making a superhero dominatrix called BDSM Avenger. I was still a college kid at the time. I abandoned the character once I found out that Virtue was the RP server and she was in Freedom and didn't feel like remaking her.

Though as far as build goes, I'm a roleplayer first. I will gladly spend XP on skills that serve no practical purpose in a standard session in a table top game. For example, a nWoD2.0 mage character I'm playing has Fame 1 for being a Let's Player and once had a SW:D20 character who had +30 in Craft: Wood Carving

Edited by OctoberRavenO

I played mainly on Freedom, in the league Freedom Reborn.

How I ended up in the comic is basically a friend of mine was running a really hard boss mission and his team was getting their asses handed to them. I was the cavalry, because a team I was in had just finished a mission the same zone, so we ran to the rescue. It's been so long I can't remember some villain names from the game, but it was the circus freaks group, and the female boss with mental powers. He wrote a text story and submitted it, and it got published.  I don't remember what issue it was, though. 

And I'm in the same boat when it comes to MMOs. When I played Everquest (the original game), my main character did Baking/Cooking, or whatever it was called in that version of the game. Which unfortunately required carrying a lot of tools and supplies. Half my bags had those things in them most of the time. So I spent more time working on that tradeskill than I did adventuring. I spent quite a bit of time doing tradeskills in the World of Warcraft (I even had a Gnome Rogue with Goblin Engineering; he'd throw dynamite then use Vanish), and I have/had (I haven't played in ages) characters in Everquest 2 that have most of the tradeskills (but not all the specializations) covered.

Edited by GhostMachine

Well, the main reason I umped into Virtue and never looked back was the RP community.

Anyway I rolled two characters, a female Slade Wilson type who dresses kind of like a Fallout Raider, the look based off my PUBG avatar. The other comes from an alternate universe where the dominant species of Earth is Saurian Sapiens (basically lizard people) and ended up in the Champions universe to escape from her reality's version of VIPER (called HOMID, of course). She thinks Trump is King of America and that he's part orangutan.

10 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Well, the main reason I umped into Virtue and never looked back was the RP community.

Anyway I rolled two characters, a female Slade Wilson type who dresses kind of like a Fallout Raider, the look based off my PUBG avatar. The other comes from an alternate universe where the dominant species of Earth is Saurian Sapiens (basically lizard people) and ended up in the Champions universe to escape from her reality's version of VIPER (called HOMID, of course). She thinks Trump is King of America and that he's part orangutan.

I had a few characters on Virtue, but didn't play them much. I couldn't even tell you what they were.

Champions Online, though, I've been thinking and I really miss my Power Armor hero, Bear In A Battlesuit. (He was a polar bear in a huge suit of battle armor.)

Edited by GhostMachine