Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

18 hours ago, HarshMillennium said:

Getting into this game and enjoying it. I've got a basic grasp on the mechanics but FFS! The levy rates are very low compared to other regions, cash isn't exactly coming quick and so many damn factions/usurping vassals. HOW DO YOU DO WELL IN THIS GAME?!?

The very best lifehack I can offer is to use your children to buy alliances. Marry people who don't stand to inherit and then bump the other rulers opinion up and form an alliance. If you can count on their levies plus your own it makes you sort of unstoppable. Be the tyrant your realm deserves. Fight off wars against your tyranny with foreign soldiers and revoke everything the traitors own. Land high skill characters or foreigners with claims as barons and priests. Press claims and then revoke titles from the claimant, win the war against the tyranny and execute the claimant; if need be, war against their sons and kill them too. Basically, you can never kill enough people.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SeanDMan said:

The very best lifehack I can offer is to use your children to buy alliances. Marry people who don't stand to inherit and then bump the other rulers opinion up and form an alliance. If you can count on their levies plus your own it makes you sort of unstoppable. Be the tyrant your realm deserves. Fight off wars against your tyranny with foreign soldiers and revoke everything the traitors own. Land high skill characters or foreigners with claims as barons and priests. Press claims and then revoke titles from the claimant, win the war against the tyranny and execute the claimant; if need be, war against their sons and kill them too. Basically, you can never kill enough people.

Can't be a tyrant if you don't have vassals. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanDMan said:

When I start revoking titles of the vassals who try to betray me, everyone else hates me, meaning no levies. I've not tried execution as I suspected that would lead to a worse result.

So far my guys biggest achievement had been closing the gates of hell by throwing a couple of cows into a hole in the ground!

18 minutes ago, HarshMillennium said:

When I start revoking titles of the vassals who try to betray me, everyone else hates me, meaning no levies. I've not tried execution as I suspected that would lead to a worse result.

So first, what are you doing with those titles? Are you hoarding them, redistributing them? 

Here's how it works.

And that point you should be able to take the title if he's your vassal. He'll hate you, but if you give it to someone, you'll get an opinion boost with them. 

• Thanks 1

I pulled off something interesting in my current game: I've got a female rival, and I married her off to the King of Sweden. (I started the current game as the Earl of Cil Dara, but am currently a King; I control two desmenes, but have about 7 others under my rule; and 3 are in Scotland) She's plotting to try and kill me, but has a low chance. I'm going to either get a claim against Sweden or wait for them to attack me, then fuck them up and do away with her. (I couldn't get enough support to have her assassinated and didn't want to take the hit for having her executed or arrested, so marrying her off was the next best thing.)

A couple of practice games later and I worked out the mechanics - or thought I had - and decided to get to work establishing a new world order. 

I chose Ireland in 1066 like all the guides said. To make sure my journey to the throne of the emerald isle gets off to a good start I took advantage of the "ruler designer" - the Irish deserve a demigod in charge so I racked up the stats and traits. Handsome, smart, diplomatic military superstar who's a genius. It couldn't get better than that. LET'S UNITE SOME LANDS PEOPLE! 

So it turns out when you heap loads of positive traits on a ruler it adds on to their years. A lot. So instead of my super Sexy warlord I got an old man, who very quickly found that he couldn't do much of anything. A lot of the court people had relatively poor stats as well, and no one abroad wanted to come over. I decided to get married and try and squeeze out a kid wih some of papa's positive traits thinking it'll just be a do-over. Under false pretences I manage to lure some hot young lusty bimbo from the arse's end of nowhere, France, who will now never trust anyone again, straight down the wedding aisle. She would serve her purpose though, right? Wrong. Wouldn't you know it, the guy drops dead, his life and reign cruelly cut short... at the age of 60 odd, approximately two months into the reign. 

Luckily, when cherry picking my God's attributes I chose to start with a son. IT TURNS OUT that when you make a son on the ruler designer they get none of the father's positive attributes. Also, since I'm now the grand total of zero years old, I'm not allowed to run the country. How much danger could I possibly get in? I can't even lift my own head. So we get regent Mr McAwful Mustache, based on his stats and portrait. He does nothing. Nothing at all but sitting on his mustachiod ass, collecting my cash. I've put the speed up to times five, which is still like a snail with a club foot as I desperately try to get to age 16. Some stuff happens, and I click through it. You'd think having no control because of the regency would mean I paid attention to the pop up things. You'd think wrong. I FINALLY hit sweet sixteen with all the attributes of a serial killer and make my first move.

The guides said to take control of your home region's city and church so I did. The current occupants were less than thrilled. The Bishop came quietly, albeit whispering hatred about me but the mayor giy wouldnt budge. None other than McAwful Mustache, who wanted to keep on his cash cow to the sweet life. So the church doesn't give me much soldiers, and hes got roughly the same numbers. But those sixteen years in regency meant I had some cash - a band of ugly, smelly, but somewhat reasonably priced mercenaries to the rescue! My band of outcasts chased McAwful around some counties until eventually defeating the army, then lay seige to the city. I clasp my fingers in an evil pyramid of revenge, as it falls without a problem. I won! I got back my city... MY city... where I'd killed all of my soldiers. The realisation hit me like an fat guy opening the fridge door. The cash is gone, so with it the mercenaries, and I'd just killed all of my soldiers in a bid to get my own city back. There's only one person to blame: McAwful Mustache. I read the warnings this time but I'm pissed at this point and too far gone, so I just double down. I execute McAwful Mustache, so that's the end of that. 

Except now I've got one county, no vassals, no cash, no army and everyone in court hates me like a stole all of their potatoes. 

I think I need to start again. This is a very emotional game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarshMillennium said:

I think I need to start again. This is a very emotional game.

Wait until you saw a baby in half :shifty: 

Also, Ruler Designer Unlocked will let you give you whatever traits you want without penalties :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know you need Reaper's Due for Immortality, and Great Old Ones (I think) for Cthulhu, but do you have to have a particular add-on for the other supernatural events to occur, or are they just ultra rare? The only one I ever get is the hell hole one.

Edited by GhostMachine

22 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I know you need Reaper's Due for Immortality, and Great Old Ones (I think) for Cthulhu, but do you have to have a particular add-on for the other supernatural events to occur, or are they just ultra rare? The only one I ever get is the hell hole one.

Monks and Mystics for most of them.

I think I may put more of a focus on proper Crusader Kings II. I love the AGOT mod, but it's so buggy at times and the AI really does weird shit, that it's kind of turn off. Maybe even start in a period such as like 1090 or something, to have England established, as well as me liking the political situation, a callback to Medieval: Total War 

12 hours ago, Mick said:

I think I may put more of a focus on proper Crusader Kings II. I love the AGOT mod, but it's so buggy at times and the AI really does weird shit, that it's kind of turn off. Maybe even start in a period such as like 1090 or something, to have England established, as well as me liking the political situation, a callback to Medieval: Total War 

Or do what I plan to do next time I play CK2, be a viking and plan to conquer the Isles.

42 minutes ago, Mick said:

With me it's more like:

I mean, with my idea you can sack France on the reg with no problems and be much closer to big money targets in Spain and Italy.