Board Game thread

Like video games you get cheap and crappy licenses based on the fact you know that people will by them, some that are "okay" and some that are real gems. Ultimately it's easier to see based on a particular game you're thinking of rather than trying to go through and list them. Recently Tabletop Gaming magazine did a top 150 games list based on audience votes and a few licensed games made the list.

Dinosaur Island (as close to a Jurassic Park game as you'll get so I'll include it should you see it somewhere)

Firefly : The Game

Star Wars : Imperial Assault (miniatures game with lots of expansions so beware plastic crack problem)

Lord of the Rings The Card Game (living card game so lots of expansions and so on again)

Legendary Deck Building Game - Comes in Marvel which is the main game, as well as Aliens, Predator, Buffy and probably a couple more I've not come across yet.

Fury of Dracula

War of the Ring

Star Wars : Rebellion 

Battlestar Galactica : the board game

X Wing Miniatures game (as said above, beware the plastic crack as some great models (and prepainted which cuts some of the work)

A Game of Thrones - The Board Game

You'll also get variants of popular board games like Catan, Munchkin, Carcassone, Love Letter and family favourites like Monopoly that if you like the original and don't happen to have it I'm sure will be reasonable enough fun. Some do add different mechanics which can be interesting even if you have the original but that's something that will vary from person to person.

I mean, it was a fan vote list so I accept fanboy votes could account for some of it but I've heard good things about them and enjoyed the ones I've played (Fury of Dracula, X Wing, AGoT, WoTR and Dinosaur Island). I've also got Ghostbusters, which we enjoy playing every now and then and plan on getting the second game.

2 hours ago, lanky316 said:

Like video games you get cheap and crappy licenses based on the fact you know that people will by them, some that are "okay" and some that are real gems. Ultimately it's easier to see based on a particular game you're thinking of rather than trying to go through and list them. Recently Tabletop Gaming magazine did a top 150 games list based on audience votes and a few licensed games made the list.

Dinosaur Island (as close to a Jurassic Park game as you'll get so I'll include it should you see it somewhere)

There was a cheap tie in board game for Jurassic park, but it's apparently shit and exactly what malenko was thinking of when he was talking about rubbish tie ins.

I've also heard good things about firefly being a good game in its own right.

Firefly, Spartacus and the LOTR living card game are all great. 

I really want to try Legendary Alien which is supposed to be very good too.

Sons of Anarchy game is supposed to be better than maybe you'd expect.

Kickstarter has thrown out a lot of licenced games lately including Turtles, Ghostbusters, Goonies etc. Most are the usual Kickstarter trend for miniature-focussed averageness but there are plenty of movie and TV cash-ins that are fine or better.

I've never been able to get into Firefly, although I suspect that might have something to do with the people I was playing with. The concept is cool but in practice every game dragged on for like six hours until we collectively agreed to call it a draw.

So I decided to back my first ever Kickstarter for One Week Ultimate Werewolf last week. I won’t get it until November but having played One Night Ultimate Werewolf & the vampire version too I’m excited to see how a longer game goes. 

I wanted to share my list of games I have/want and see if any of you had recommendations. 

• One Night Ultimate Werewolf
  • Boss Monster
  • Sushi Go
  • Labyrinth
  • Cards Against Humanity

On my list to get

• Tsuro
  • Colt Express
  • Betrayal at House on the Hill
  • Arkham Horror
  • Ticket to Ride (this is not a priority as I suck at it but it’s a fun game)
  • Formula D

I've got Betrayal at House on the Hill and I've played Arkham Horror. I love both. I played Arkham once and it was a couple years ago. I don't remember much but it was a blast.

As for Betrayal, I've played it five or six times and it's been completely different each time. There's so many options for what monster/creature/spirit you get that you have to play the first part of the game differently each time. I highly recommend that if you have at least four people to play with. 

1 hour ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

What is it you like most about the games you like/have?

The nerdy-ness of Boss Monster is lovely. The others all have easy to learn game play but as mentioned about Betrayal, end up being different each time. Also why I enjoyed Tsuro, making a map etc. and Alahambra which I forgot to add to my want list. 

5 hours ago, PkmnTrainerJ said:

The nerdy-ness of Boss Monster is lovely. The others all have easy to learn game play but as mentioned about Betrayal, end up being different each time. Also why I enjoyed Tsuro, making a map etc. and Alahambra which I forgot to add to my want list. 

I'd recommend you go with Tsuro of the Seas over Tsuro. You can still play it the original way, but the extra components (the Kaiju) add an extra dimension should you ever want to open the game up a little bit.

Edit: Also regarding Cards Against Humanity, that's a pretty simple party game, and if you're looking for a fun, fast paced game to play with non-board game people, then I'd recommend  just learning Celebrity. it's a  hilarious Charades style party game played with just pens and paper, but for me and my friends it's much more fun than just the random south-park humour of CAH. Also because it's just a concept, it's completely free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_(game)

If you're looking for an actual game to buy, then @ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster recently introduced me to Codenames, which is a good party game with a super simple premise that can lead to loads of fun arguments. There are a a few variants, so if you can go and try them out and see which one suits your situation best, that would be ideal, but personally I recommend Codenames Duet. It works as a co-operative game and can be played with two people, or with two small teams. The original Codenames is competitive, but you need at least three, and ideally four people to play it. It's also really cheap as it's mostly just a bunch of cards.

Edit 2: I just remembered that Codenames has a 'dirty' version, so if you like CAH because it has cussing, you could go for Codenames Deep Undercover.

• Like 1

@PkmnTrainerJ

For CAH, look into Snake Oil or Funemployed for a party game in a similar vein, but both are more interactive. 

I loath CAH, because at a certain point it just becomes a game of laughing at offensive things. 

In Funemployed, each round you are given three personality traits (for example: inconsiderate, violent drunk and nudist) and you interview for a job (for example, elementary school teacher). You get one minute to pitch why the traits you have make you best fit for the job. One person is the interviewer and picks the person based upon their trait. I enjoy it because it requires you to think on your feet and it is fun. Each round you get three new traits and a new job to interview for. 

Snake Oil, if I recall, is like CAH where you'll have like 6 cards in your hand and it'll be things that work together (for example, slippery and dog grooming scissors). Each round one person will pull a customer card (a baker or a lawyer). You'll have to combine two of the traits in your hand to sell to the customer. Once again, better than CAH because it is interactive and you have to think on your feet. 

• Like 3

On 28/06/2018 at 13:23, Soda Popshamski said:

Reiner Knizia's Decathlon was actually an amazing recommendation - played it with the girlfriend last night and it was fun as hell. Ended up in a really close 252/247 score or something along those lines.

oh dope, really glad you enjoyed it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2018 at 15:25, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Kickstarter has thrown out a lot of licenced games lately including Turtles, Ghostbusters, Goonies etc. Most are the usual Kickstarter trend for miniature-focussed averageness but there are plenty of movie and TV cash-ins that are fine or better.

Legendary Alien is really good. Same with Predator.

LOTR living card game doesn't have a scratch on the only game that matters (the actual tag line for A Game Of Thrones Living Card Game) which is the absolute best

On 20/06/2018 at 15:25, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Legendary Alien is really good. Same with Predator.

LOTR living card game doesn't have a scratch on the only game that matters (the actual tag line for A Game Of Thrones Living Card Game) which is the absolute best