The Punk Thread

RPS

I love post hardcore. Steve Albini has been in a few more bands that you may like as well in case you don't know them yet like Rapeman and also Big Black, although this one has more of a punk feel but still post hardcore/noise rock. I'd recommend you newer stuff but a lot of times it's cleaner and more derivative and I feel you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

1 hour ago, Malenko said:

I love post hardcore. Steve Albini has been in a few more bands that you may like as well in case you don't know them yet like Rapeman and also Big Black, although this one has more of a punk feel but still post hardcore/noise rock. I'd recommend you newer stuff but a lot of times it's cleaner and more derivative and I feel you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

:huh:

5 hours ago, Malenko said:

I’d be interested in anything Albini, he’s a genius. I’m familiar with Big Black and Rapeman. He also produced the earlier Jesus Lizard albums and Nirvanas In Utero I believe? 

Another group I’ve been enjoying lately is Girls Against Boys, very cool stuff.

Schlongs "Punk Side Story" the Drunk Punk version of West Side Story

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:53, Los Ingobernables De VP said:

I’d be interested in anything Albini, he’s a genius. I’m familiar with Big Black and Rapeman. He also produced the earlier Jesus Lizard albums and Nirvanas In Utero I believe? 

While Albini did produce In Utero, his "version" of the album is quite different to that which was released - the album was remastered to make it more commercially viable after he'd produced it, and the label got in an entirely different producer (a guy who had worked on REM's "Automatic For The People") to work on Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies to make them more commercial and radio-friendly. Albini's versions sound far more typically Steve Albini - drums high in the mix, less focus on vocals, very rough around the edges.

The Albini versions are out there - a deluxe reissue had the Albini mixes of Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies included as bonus tracks, and in the early '00s the entire Albini version was released by mistake when the wrong master tape was used on a re-release. To confuse matters even more, a few years back they released a new Steve Albini mix of the album as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if I've shared these guys before, but the Redskins. They're pretty god damned good. Not sure how they sort of fell under the radar in the 80s, too radical maybe? I don't know, not that they're a total unknown but I feel like the one album they did was absolutely brilliant. Good blend of third wave ska but maybe more in line with a Clash sound then the Specials for example. The singer even sounds a bit like Joe Strummer as it is, so I think Clash fans would like this. Though I also think non-Clash fans would as well because while they're is similarities, these guys are definitely their own band with their own sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

NOFX Loses Brewing Co. and Festival Sponsor Over Las Vegas Shooting Comments

Oh I'm sure its nothing.  Just Fat Mike being Fat Mike...

Over the weekend, the punk band made an insensitive joke about last year’s Las Vegas shooting at a country music festival that left 58 people dead and 489 injured.

NOFX frontman, Fat Mike, joked onstage, “We played a song about Muslims and we didn’t get shot.” Another band member then chimed in, “I guess you only get shot in Vegas if you are in a county band.”

A third added, “That [shooting] sucked, but at least they were country fans and not punk rock fans.”

Oh FFS

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Fat Mike come out and do some songs with Mad Caddies in NYC,he was kind of a dick there too, and the lead vocalist of the Jukebox Romantics said he got one member of his band so drunk they got kicked out by security, just for his (Fat Mike's) entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad Religions new song "The Kids Are Alt-Right"

So apparently Pauley Perratte, the goth tech girl from NCIS...you know...her

pauley-perrette-ncis-leaving.jpg

had been a singer for a punk band called Lo-Ball.  Its not great, but its not terrible...I kinda like it

On 28/06/2018 at 04:02, Malenko said:

The Adolescents founder and bassist Steve Soto died yesterday, or so I've read. :(

Yeah I read, RIP Steve Soto.

The self titled Adolescents album is probably one of my top albums. 

I’m going to see the Dead Boys tonight though, that’s awesome.