The Punk Thread

RPS

1 hour ago, DMN said:

Does anyone have suggestions for stuff that's like GG Allin's honky-tonk stuff? Or is there like a southern punk rock genre I don't know about that's like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Jr. but more punk rock? Does that even make sense?

Yes. 

Bob Wayne is definitely a name you’ll want to check.

Ghoultown is another, they do a nice variation on the Misfits “London Dungeon”. 

Phantom of the Black Hills may also strike your fancy.

@DMN

Just to elaborate more, the genre has sometimes been called “Cow Punk” but that is probably getting you more in Mojo Nixon territory (which is good, but far sillier than the darker tones taken by others). A lot of that derives from the Gun Club (one of my personal favorite bands ever ever) and the Cramps (psychobilly of course being a darker/harder take on rockabilly). 

You’ll find a lot of overlap with a lot of the southern/country that fit with punk and metal. 

Another name for you, Scott H. Biram, he’s cool. Izzy Cox is another if you want a female fronted band in this context.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 09:48, VerbalPuke said:

Yes. 

Bob Wayne is definitely a name you’ll want to check.

Ghoultown is another, they do a nice variation on the Misfits “London Dungeon”. 

Phantom of the Black Hills may also strike your fancy.

@DMN

Just to elaborate more, the genre has sometimes been called “Cow Punk” but that is probably getting you more in Mojo Nixon territory (which is good, but far sillier than the darker tones taken by others). A lot of that derives from the Gun Club (one of my personal favorite bands ever ever) and the Cramps (psychobilly of course being a darker/harder take on rockabilly). 

You’ll find a lot of overlap with a lot of the southern/country that fit with punk and metal. 

Another name for you, Scott H. Biram, he’s cool. Izzy Cox is another if you want a female fronted band in this context.

I checked out Bob Wayne, and I'm digging him, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Ghoultown is someone I knew about but also not quite what I want.

I think the issue is I just want more GG, with the white trash junkie reject feel to it, you know? Real scumfuc shit.

It seems like an obvious suggestion, but I'll throw out Hank Williams III.

Hank III is an interesting artist, because he plays old school outlaw country, heavy metal, punk, hellbilly and more.

The first two albums, Risin' Outlaw and Lovesick, Broke & Driftin' are a good mix of his father and grandfather's styles.

The next three albums... Straight to Hell... Damn Right, Rebel Proud... and Rebel Within all incorporate more punk rock stylings and a heavier sound.

Since then, he's been mixing it up. There's been some outlaw country, some punkier stuff and a couple of metal-influenced albums. He even put out a record called A Fiendish Threat, which is heavily influenced by his love of the Misfits, despite not being musically similar.

Also, check out Those Poor Bastards. Hank III covered their song, Pills I Took. They're a very unique sounding band that might be close to what you're looking for.

And if you have some time, maybe check out Ski King. Most of his tracks are covers, but he plays an outlaw country style with little influences from punk.

Not sure if I've posted this before

• 2 weeks later...

This is so fucking good. I'm glad I came back to these guys. I started listening to them in high school and quickly fell in love them to the point that I'd say they were my favorite band. Then for awhile I just stopped listening to them and I don't know why. I've been playing them a lot lately and remembering why I really dug them in the first place, they are a truly remarkable band. Unfortunately they retired from doing shows so I'll never get the chance to see them, but they're probably the one band that I'd pay good money to see (over 50 for a ticket) if they made their way back to touring. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/04/2018 at 12:32, Malenko said:

I love post hardcore. Steve Albini has been in a few more bands that you may like as well in case you don't know them yet like Rapeman and also Big Black, although this one has more of a punk feel but still post hardcore/noise rock. I'd recommend you newer stuff but a lot of times it's cleaner and more derivative and I feel you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

That Rapeman album is amazing. Might be my favorite Albini project and I bought the album on a whim (Two Nuns, and a Pack Mule). 

It reminds me of Jesus Lizard which isn’t a stretch given its Steve Albini and on the Touch and Go label.

Speaking of Jesus Lizard and Rapeman, Scratch Acid is amazing.

Scratch Acid was sorta Jesus Lizard before Jesus Lizard. There was David Yow two others that went to Rapeman, then one of those guys formed Jesus Lizard. 

They’re really good though, interesting sounds. Hard to describe as they fit in that post-hardcore sorta mold but aren’t as noisy as other stuff in that era. 

Close enough. I love Sonic Youth also, definitely a band I'd pay good money to see live if the opportunity ever presents itself. I kind of use this thread for my noise rock musings anyway. Hell man, most of those bands and bands like Sonic Youth came about because of punk influences. The song Hotwire My Heart is an old Crime song. 

On 16/03/2019 at 19:44, VerbalPuke said:

band I love covering band I love. 

Love it.

I don't like that, mainly because Jello's vocals are pretty iconic for me...Dead Kennedys was one of the first punk bands I got into.  Musically I like it, but I don't like how the singer sounds on it.  I also generally dislike most covers of DK though  

On 08/05/2019 at 13:43, Ruki said:

I love everything Blink does.

Also! Going to my first concert in years in July! Reel Big Fish + The Aquabats!

I don't like everything Blink does, but I do like that song.  It shows the maturing and progression they've been doing the last couple of albums.  

On 07/05/2019 at 12:12, Rich said:

On the Post-hardcore front, I am amazed I will get to see Jawbox later this year, never thought I would get the chance

There are so many bands I've only seen due to reunions being a thing. One of my best gig buddies never went to any of those because he dislikes the idea and I actually get his point of view. We're not really living those shows from back when the bands were really feeling what they wrote, both musically and lyrically.  I get it. It's not as organic and sincere. Possibly less intense too.

I'll still try go to every reunion show I can if I really like the band, though, so yeah...

42 minutes ago, Lint said:

I don't like that, mainly because Jello's vocals are pretty iconic for me...Dead Kennedys was one of the first punk bands I got into.  Musically I like it, but I don't like how the singer sounds on it.  I also generally dislike most covers of DK though  

I don't like everything Blink does, but I do like that song.  It shows the maturing and progression they've been doing the last couple of albums.  

It's going to be nearly impossible to find anyone who'd add that much to a DK song with his unique vocals as Jello did. I went to Dead Kennedys gigs some 15 years ago or so, obviously without him, and while I get it wasn't the same thing, I still went because I felt it was going to be the only possible way to ever see them live (so far I haven't been proven wrong). 

While not exactly the same situation, I do understand why you'd feel that way. I know it's not the same, however I still get all excited whenever I see a small band playing a DK cover. Just lower a bit the expectations and enjoy it for what it is, I guess.

I've seen Jello since, with the Guantanamo School of Medicine. It's cool, just not the Dead Kennedys.

Every band is going to have their own take on something. I felt like Steel Pole Bathtub does well making it their own but staying true to the original also (not changing so drastically that it sounds bad).

I saw DK three years ago in Vegas and it was honestly an amazing show. It wasn’t Jello but the musicians were original and East Bay Ray is among my favorite guitar players ever so it still meant something to me. Honestly, the dude they had filling in for Jello did an admirable job, he brought energy and didn’t take away from the sound.