The Punk Thread

RPS

The hardest thing to overcome for me with bands trying to be DK or cover DK songs is I just don't believe in people singing them the way I do Jello. 

For example, I personally felt that Green Day leaned way into being DK with their political stuff. It makes sense as an influence on them, and Green Day is a fine band, but I don't believe it when they do it the way I do when Jello does.

I did feel the Serj Tankian and Foo Fighters cover of Holiday in Cambodia had something behind it, if for no other reason then Serj being Armenian has knowledge about genocide (I've been drinking, that probably came out worse then I meant it to)

11 hours ago, Lint said:

I did feel the Serj Tankian and Foo Fighters cover of Holiday in Cambodia had something behind it, if for no other reason then Serj being Armenian has knowledge about genocide (I've been drinking, that probably came out worse then I meant it to)

It's fine, but has none of the venom or energy of Jello. It's a small thing, but if you can't use the full lyrics then it isn't the right venue for that song. I dunno, just my opinion.

I'd like to see them try and play Police Truck on MTV, though.

Only posting here because the soundtrack was absolutely killer, but if you are into horror movies, check out The Ranger. Non-spoiler synopsis: five punk kids are on the run because the cops broke up an unauthorized punk show and one of the kids stabs a cop.

It's available on the Shudder streaming service.

• 2 weeks later...

So uh, I’m going to see the Murder Junkies. And I’m on the guest list. 

So my son had a birthday party, one of his friends parents is married to a dude in a really good local band. That band is playing with the Murder Junkies and she asked us if we wanted to be on the guest list. 

So fuck it, why not. Kind of more excited to see the local guys.

• Like 1

Released 30 years ago today!

• Like 1

Ughh I wasn't planning on going back to Riot Fest this year because its just too big of a festival for me to really enjoy the way I wanna, buuuuut Bikini Kill...Against Me playing all of Reinventing Axl Rose AND Transgender Dysphoria Blues...so many others ughhhhhh...

No photo description available.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

Ughh I wasn't planning on going back to Riot Fest this year because its just too big of a festival for me to really enjoy the way I wanna, buuuuut Bikini Kill...Against Me playing all of Reinventing Axl Rose AND Transgender Dysphoria Blues...so many others ughhhhhh...

No photo description available.

I read Against me were playing full albums but none of them pre-searching for a former clarity. I didn't know they were playing Reinventing Axl Rose. That's awesome. Whenever I see them live they play a couple old songs (mostly Walking is Still Honest and maybe pints.. ) and that's it. :(

So after a night of processing everything, that was a fine fine show last night seeing the Damned. My buddy and I left work and went right downtown for the show, we had a few drinks at this cool little bar across from the venue (St. Andrews, one of the best in Detroit). We got in right as the Detroit Cobras were finishing which is a shame because the 3 minutes I heard were really good, but couldn't do much about that with our work schedule. 

So the Damned played all of Machine Gun Etiquette plus a bunch of other stuff and they were so fucking good. Considering their age they had plenty of energy, sounded tight, and just really had everything going. It was amazing, it is up there for some of the best shows I've seen, it was one of them shows that you're like "Damn, that felt like a religious experience".

I feel fortunate that I've seen a lot of great shows and there are even more coming up this year. Definitely going to see the Adicts in August, and hoping maybe to see D.R.I., Mudhoney, and perhaps others that come through. 

7 hours ago, Stevie B said:

I really don't keep up with modern music these days, but discovering these guys before seeing them at Slam Dunk made my festival.

They got huge the last couple f years! They're playing everywhere now!

5 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

So after a night of processing everything, that was a fine fine show last night seeing the Damned. My buddy and I left work and went right downtown for the show, we had a few drinks at this cool little bar across from the venue (St. Andrews, one of the best in Detroit). We got in right as the Detroit Cobras were finishing which is a shame because the 3 minutes I heard were really good, but couldn't do much about that with our work schedule. 

So the Damned played all of Machine Gun Etiquette plus a bunch of other stuff and they were so fucking good. Considering their age they had plenty of energy, sounded tight, and just really had everything going. It was amazing, it is up there for some of the best shows I've seen, it was one of them shows that you're like "Damn, that felt like a religious experience".

I feel fortunate that I've seen a lot of great shows and there are even more coming up this year. Definitely going to see the Adicts in August, and hoping maybe to see D.R.I., Mudhoney, and perhaps others that come through. 

Was it the first time you saw them live?

On 30/05/2019 at 06:50, Malenko said:

I read Against me were playing full albums but none of them pre-searching for a former clarity. I didn't know they were playing Reinventing Axl Rose. That's awesome. Whenever I see them live they play a couple old songs (mostly Walking is Still Honest and maybe pints.. ) and that's it. :(

Having seen them play Axl Rose through twice I can honestly say it's an amazing experience

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

My friend's band (who i love, i'm so excited for this) is putting out their first EP soon and they just put the first song "When I Became A Magical Girl I Wished That You Would Never Die" online; if yr into heart attack man/sorority noise/remo drive check it out!

I love that title!

• Like 1