European Football Thread

IAceI

31 minutes ago, Colly said:

When does he challenge though, the next time it goes out of play? That could be 5 minutes away. The whole thing is just murky as hell, the fact that it can only be used to change a decision, not make one that hasn't been given just means there's a perverse incentive for refs to guess that an infringement has happened just to get a stoppage because then the VAR can make the decision for him (in theory). If anyone can come up with a vaguely workable solution to that I'd be on the VAR train, but that's a pretty fucking huge drawback. 

Change captain for manager, he asks the 4th official instantly. The game continues until the ball goes dead (unless it already is, obviously), meanwhile the VAR is already looking at the decision so we're probably not going to lose as much time. Okay in extremely rare circumstances the other team might score/win a penalty while the ball is still in open play after the manager has asked for a review but that's not going to happen regularly.

That in Germany is a farce though, what if that had happened at the end of the second half? Imagine getting home from a game you thought you'd won, only to find out that after you'd left the ground, the referee had pulled the players back out to give the opposition a penalty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Okay in extremely rare circumstances the other team might score/win a penalty while the ball is still in open play after the manager has asked for a review but that's not going to happen regularly.

And what happens when it does? If it's a penalty for the original infringement, then the ball should be classified as 'dead' from the point of the infringement. You can't go up the other end, score, count it and then have the game returned to the opposite end of the pitch for a penalty kick.

I have absolutely no idea why football hasn't just transported the video assistant referee from Rugby Union wholesale. It works. It smacks of the authorities being arrogant and wanting to do their own thing, rather than copy an already tried and tested system.

4 minutes ago, Gazz said:

And what happens when it does? If it's a penalty for the original infringement, then the ball should be classified as 'dead' from the point of the infringement. You can't go up the other end, score, count it and then have the game returned to the opposite end of the pitch for a penalty kick.

I have absolutely no idea why football hasn't just transported the video assistant referee from Rugby Union wholesale. It works. It smacks of the authorities being arrogant and wanting to do their own thing, rather than copy an already tried and tested system.

Exactly as you said, you go back to the original infringement. The issue with copying the rugby union system is the idea that it'll stop the game too often... I don't particularly agree with that (it'll only happen if a referee decides to go to the video for every little thing) but that's the issue.

Isn't the rugby union one just used for try or no try though? I.e. the game is already stopped. 

We've already seen the look of confusion when VAR takes two minutes to award a goal when the ball is dead, imagine what that's like when three minutes of play have continued and its pulled back. "That's not going to happen regularly" really doesn't cut it. 

On 17/04/2018 at 14:31, Matt said:

Exactly as you said, you go back to the original infringement. The issue with copying the rugby union system is the idea that it'll stop the game too often... I don't particularly agree with that (it'll only happen if a referee decides to go to the video for every little thing) but that's the issue.

Football is stop-start anyway. Ball is only in play for 60 minutes at most in a game anyway. Every time someone gets sent off, it's a minute or more of fucking about. Look at the Madrid / Juventus game, four minutes of arguing before the penalty was taken. 

15 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Football is stop-start anyway. Ball is only in play for 60 minutes at most in a game anyway. Every time someone gets sent off, it's a minute or more of fucking about. Look at the Madrid / Juventus game, four minutes of arguing before the penalty was taken. 

Yeah but that is fun. If you are in the crowd you can see the handbags happening. VAR is rubbish and I hate it.

• Like 1

A report out on ESPNFC reveals that Neymar makes more money a year from PSG than the entire salaries of 13 Ligue 1 teams. One player making more money than a whole squad of players in the same league, and for over half the league at that. Just craziness

34 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Who the hell are Eleven sports?

No idea, but they already show La Liga in Belgium and Poland. They've yet to announce how they will be delivering La Liga coverage but I've got to imagine either Sky or BT Sport will pay them a rather significant amount of money to have an Eleven Sports channel or something on their service.

Alternatively, La Liga streaming service a la WWE Network/Netflix etc etc?