European Football Thread

IAceI

Fuck knows what is going on at Sporting.

The president suspended the manager at the weekend, the squad said they were going to refuse to play in the upcoming cup final if he wasn't reinstated and now the Sporting 'Ultras' have invaded the training ground and attacked the squad and manager.

• Confused 1

That's not even half of it. Back when they lost their first leg quarter-finals vs Atletico Madrid he insulted the players on facebook or whatever social media platform it was. As a response the team captain tweeted something about them being good professionals and doing the best they could every game and that it would be better if he was able to show support rather than silly rants on social media. A bunch of players retweeted it. He suspended the whole lot. An emergency team meeting later everyone was back on the team. They actually beat Atletico Madrid in the 2nd leg and went on a short winning streak until they lost the last league game of the season and chaos ensues.

Also, 'crime is part of everyday life'  - His reaction to the attack.

They've got a few players teams elsewhere in Europe want as well, he's not doing much for their prospects of staying. A team from the Premier League or La Liga comes in and offers Carvalho or Bruno Fernandes a way out, are they gonna say "no thanks Barca/Man Utd/Bayern, I want to work for this crackpot and get attacked by my own fans"? I doubt it.

Apparently a load of their players want their contracts terminated now too.

"Sporting players are about to make the police report, they say they are not going to play the final of the Portugal Cup on Sunday and all, including Acuña and Battaglia, will seek to rescind their contracts."

2 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

They've got a few players teams elsewhere in Europe want as well, he's not doing much for their prospects of staying. A team from the Premier League or La Liga comes in and offers Carvalho or Bruno Fernandes a way out, are they gonna say "no thanks Barca/Man Utd/Bayern, I want to work for this crackpot and get attacked by my own fans"? I doubt it.

I only heard about it because Bas Dost, who has been linked to Newcastle in every transfer window since 1983, is being linked to Newcastle because he wants out.

• Like 1

Pretty sure they'll be able to get out of those contract via working/union laws even if it proves difficult through say FIFA/UEFA. Might just be a possible lengthy process. 

You would have an extremely strong argument for unsafe working environment. 

If you're other clubs in Europe you'll be keeping an eye on the situation as they've got some talented players and promising youngsters. 

19 hours ago, The Gazz said:

Fuck knows what is going on at Sporting.

The president suspended the manager at the weekend, the squad said they were going to refuse to play in the upcoming cup final if he wasn't reinstated and now the Sporting 'Ultras' have invaded the training ground and attacked the squad and manager.

Well, officially no one was suspended over the weekend, but there were strong rumors that the managerial staff had been suspended prior to the meeting with the players. This situations was boiling for weeks ever since there was a clear conflict the players and the president after the match with Atletico. Once they started winning matches, things seemed to calm down, but as soon as they drew Benfica, there was clear tension between the manager (who put himself on the players' side of the conflict) and the president. When they lost with Maritimo in the last match and with that ended third, things started to escalate. There had already been some insults thrown at the players that night at Maritimo's stadium, the airports and even at Sporting's own stadium. The following day, the president public ally asks the players and staff to go to the stadium for the meetings where as far as was known, the staff was almost suspended, with intentions to terminate them, but because the players threatened to go on strike for the cup final, everything "stayed the same".

Now this is where things get kinda crazy. Yesterday, the president asked for a new meeting in the club's training grounds around lunch time, but he missed the meeting. Even though there had already been issues over the weekend, security was left on a "normal" level, and 50 dudes get into the training grounds and attack the players and the staff. The president and the "sports director", who are pretty hands on and are many times even on the bench during matches weren't there either. After the whole shitstorm he records a message about it and says pretty much that "These things happen". 

In the meantime, the sports director has been taken by police today due to a possible corruption scandal both in football and handball.

Did Parma always wear white and black as their home kit? I could have sworn their wore yellow and blue stripes at home in the 90s?

Good for them though. They're 90s team was amazing before it was sold off for huge sums.

49 minutes ago, TCO said:

Did Parma always wear white and black as their home kit? I could have sworn their wore yellow and blue stripes at home in the 90s?

Good for them though. They're 90s team was amazing before it was sold off for huge sums.

You might enjoy this: http://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-iconic-team-parma-1998-1999

• Like 1

Just a quick update on the Sporting situation. So, on Saturday the club's president said that the "players were indirectly responsible for what happened to them" and on Sunday they obviously lost the cup final. It is expected that today some of them will start the process of getting out of their contracts, as it seems like the relationship between the players and the president is broken beyond repair, and the president refuses to leave the club.

• Like 1