European Football Thread

IAceI

On 06/08/2018 at 19:01, Matt said:

I mean, there's a lot more football available then there used to be.

True, but that's still 3 separate sources just for the Premier League. The idea it would drive competition is just nonsensical, football domestically doesn't work like a consumer product where I can switch to an alternative. Oh, I'll start supporting Girona now, that'll save me some money. 

• Like 1

The way English football is done is still basically a monopoly in terms of what they offer the consumer. All it's done is drive the price up for bidders. If you want to watch an individual match legally, you still only have 1 option. The fact that these companies are crippling themselves financially to buy these packages is even worse for the viewer.

Wouldn't be as ridiculous if all the matches were shown but we're forced to watch whatever the broadcaster wants. I don't give a fuck about Man United and their dire football but there they are every week one of the few slots.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colly said:

True, but that's still 3 separate sources just for the Premier League. The idea it would drive competition is just nonsensical, football domestically doesn't work like a consumer product where I can switch to an alternative. Oh, I'll start supporting Girona now, that'll save me some money. 

But (and I've not bothered to check this for a fact, but I'll be surprised if it isn't true) you still get at least as many premier league games as you did 20 years ago on a sky sports package. Just because you can get more packages elsewhere with more games, doesn't mean you're losing out

• Admin

A regular-season La Liga game is set to be played in the United States or Canada for the first time after the league reached an agreement with Relevent, a multinational media, sports and entertainment company, on a 15-year joint venture for promotion in North America.

Although the date and location are yet to be determined, it would be the first time the league has decided to play a game outside of Europe.

"This extraordinary joint venture is the next giant leap in growing soccer's popularity in North America," said Relevent chairman and owner Stephen Ross. "This unique relationship will create new opportunities for millions of North American soccer fans to experience the most passionate, exciting, and highest level of soccer in the world."

Ross also owns the Miami Dolphins and is a part owner of their home, Hard Rock Stadium, which would make them the frontrunner to host the event.

"It's not hard to figure out where we would want it to be based on our ownership with Stephen Ross," Relevent CEO Danny Sillman said via telephone. "That part isn't too difficult to figure out. [The match will be held] much sooner than the public is expecting."

The venture, called LaLiga North America, will represent the league in the U.S. and Canada in all business and development activities. The organization will support the league's growth through the establishment of youth academies, development of youth soccer coaches, marketing agreements, consumer activations, and exhibition matches.

LaLiga North America will be led by Boris Gartner, formerly the head of strategy at Televisa. He also has executive experience with Univision.

"We're devoted to growing the passion for soccer around the world," La Liga president Javier Tebas said. "This ground-breaking agreement is certain to give a major impulse to the popularity of the beautiful game in the U.S. and Canada. Relevent has filled stadiums across the U.S. with the International Champions Cup, [and] we're thrilled to partner with them on a joint mission to grow soccer in North America."

LaLiga North America will also handle the sale of media rights on the continent once the deal with beIN SPORTS expires at the conclusion of the 2019-20 season.

Sillman said that while there will be efforts on multiple fronts to increase revenue and build awareness, the media rights will be the biggest revenue driver. He said La Liga is already the second-largest soccer league in terms of media rights, behind the Premier League.

"The [North America] media rights now sell for about $120 million to beIN, and if you look at the upticks of the other leagues -- the EPL doubled, the Champions League doubled -- even if we grew 15 to 20 percent a year, you're talking [a total of] $2 billion just in media value," Sillman said.

Sillman said Tebas has been working on the next media rights deal for the last six to 12 months, so the intention is to sustain that effort.

"Obviously, they want to maximize their distribution, so we'll be moving very quickly with Tebas, getting in the marketplace, and understanding what the broadcast and streaming partners are looking for," Sillman said. "La Liga works with Facebook in India and a bunch of the digital players as well. We'll start to figure out the best way to carve up the rights from the digital and live broadcast in Spanish, English, and French for the U.S. and Canada and start to move fairly fast on putting a strategy together."

Sillman said that the process of joining forces with La Liga began 18 months ago with an extensive proposal process. Relevent was chosen in February in part because it had experience working with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid through the International Champions Cup, a summer tournament that the clubs use for preseason.

The particulars of the joint venture were finalized in the last few days.

"Tebas saw what we did with El Clasico [in Miami] as a part of our ICC tournament last summer," Sillman said. "Our ability to tell the story of the history behind the clubs, the league, and the matchups really [helped] build a great spectacle for American fans.

"The [regular-season] match will be a big piece of the joint venture as well. With the precedent set for American sports to be exported all over the world -- MLS going to Japan, the NBA in Europe, the NFL in Mexico and Europe -- there still hasn't been anything with European football in the States, so it's going to be really exciting from that standpoint to import the games to American fans and give them a chance to see it up close for those who may not get the chance to see it in Spain."

ESPN.

@LL. @Meacxico

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Colly said:

Vigo v Gijon is going to put bums on seats. Also challenging names that will undoubtedly be pronounced wrong. 

I did not research this and both clubs are probably in the second tier... 

Celta Vigo plays in the first while Sporting Gijon actually reached the promotion playoffs last season, so you were very close to getting both right. :P

I like the fact La Liga, with TV rights up in 2020, is going all-in at trying to reach the US fans. I think it's an incredibly exciting league with probably the best quality of matches of any major league. But this arrangement is probably gonna work out like the NFL does, where teams that don't do well with home attendance will "give up" their home match, no? And nobody would want to give up their home match against one of the big clubs, since the away fans will eat up a lot of available tickets.

So I guess Leganes v. Eibar it is!

This is odd. I just read the idea is having a game of either Barcelona or Real Madrid being played in the US.

I can't imagine a smaller team willingly accepting missing out on their biggest ticket sales of the season and even if they do get money from it the fans would riot because they won't want to miss those matches.

The alternative would be a Barcelona or Real Madrid home game. I feel that's more up Real Madrid's alley but again, can't see too many fans happy with that.

Yesterday, Gus Poyet had a proper rant about the board selling a player without telling him, so today, they sacked him.

• Like 1