TKz

tumblr_om5mbncx0L1rvya9ro1_1280.png

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

In spite of some early "WOOOO WE'RE R-RATED, DID YOU NOTICE HOW R-RATED WE ARE" moments very early, it was real good. 2017 has started out real fucking hot with Get Out, John Wick 2, and Logan, the early-year genre film portion of the year is really delivering the goods.

I didn't notice anything that particularly stood out like that, but then I was just letting the film carry me if I'm honest. What moments were you referring to (spoiler tagged for those that have not seen it yet)?

5 hours ago, DoubleX said:

I didn't notice anything that particularly stood out like that, but then I was just letting the film carry me if I'm honest. What moments were you referring to (spoiler tagged for those that have not seen it yet)?

Spoiler

Random passenger flashing Wolverine first and foremost, and Professor X swearing repeatedly was pretty distracting early on because unlike Wolverine that doesn't really feel like a thing that's in-character but just isn't doable due to ratings restrictions. But he was also drugged out of his mind early on, so, you know.

Very much not the violence. The violence was fine.

They both made sense to me

the flasher is a standard stereotypical long suffering chauffeur getting a crappy hen night trope and alongside the boarish jocks and everything else seemed to fit at how grating it all is for a man who hates people to be stuck in that sort of job to make ends meet. Professor X and his swearing made sense to me due to the fact he was drugged up and is now a very old man forced to live in near total isolation when he'd spent the last... 60 years(?) surrounded by people, where it seems to be implied that part of the drug based suppression is to help him forget that he may well have been responsible for some fatalities leading to the isolation in the first place. I could see how his usually calm attitude has drifted away and he seems to be the bitter Xavier from early in Days of Future Past again

So I didn't think too much of them at the time. Guess I can see where your coming from but it didn't feel too forced when I watched it. 

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/guardians-galaxy-2/guardians-galaxy-vol-2-see-three-exclusive-new-images/

Inspired by the elaborate fractal art of Hal Tenny, who Gunn hired to help design Ego’s environment, it’s pushed visual effects past the existing limit. “We have over a trillion polygons on Ego’s planet,” says Gunn proudly. “It’s the biggest visual effect of all time. There’s nothing even close to it. Which is cool.”

Also, this is pretty cool: cosplayers are already figuring out how to make their own "shutter eyes" for Spider-Man masks.

I like the Batman bits, I like the Wonder Woman bits - I'm iffy on Cyborg because some of that CG looked off and I've never been interested in the character but it's coming together better than I had hoped? It'll all depend on whether they fumble the Wonder Woman movie or not for me.

Saw Logan a few days ago, but didn't feel like commenting until now, after its all had time to really sink in.

My thoughts:

I don't know when Fox loses the rights to the X-Men franchise, but they might as well stop. Because this movie tells you that they've just traded in one shitty future (the one they fought to stop in Days Of Future Past) for another and will never really accomplish anything. I thought the part about 7 mutants dying as a result of Xavier's first seizure was really shitty and should have been left out, because it kind of implies that Xavier killed the X-Men. 

That said, the only other problems I had with the movie: 1. The adamantium bullet. As soon as it was brought up again at the camp while Logan was resting, I knew that was how the clone was going to be dealt with. 2. Laura not speaking at all until well after the shit has not only hit the fan but the entire fucking fan factory. 

I've seen some people complain about Xavier cussing being out of character, but it fits considering he was suffering from dementia and only really did it while suffering bouts of it. Dementia can affect personalities, not just memories. 

I thought the movie was great, but it kind of kills the X-Men franchise (or at least any sense of hope) unless its acknowledged as yet another alternate future, and I don't see how they can really pull that off without it being a cop out. 

Now, as much as I enjoy the movies with James McAvoy as a younger Professor X, I really can't wait for Fox to lose the rights to the franchise. Because I want the X-Men in the MCU.

Didn't one of the guys in production say that they deliberately aren't saying if Logan is in the same universe or not? 

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

Saw Logan a few days ago, but didn't feel like commenting until now, after its all had time to really sink in.

My thoughts:

Hide contents

I don't know when Fox loses the rights to the X-Men franchise, but they might as well stop. Because this movie tells you that they've just traded in one shitty future (the one they fought to stop in Days Of Future Past) for another and will never really accomplish anything. I thought the part about 7 mutants dying as a result of Xavier's first seizure was really shitty and should have been left out, because it kind of implies that Xavier killed the X-Men. 

That said, the only other problems I had with the movie: 1. The adamantium bullet. As soon as it was brought up again at the camp while Logan was resting, I knew that was how the clone was going to be dealt with. 2. Laura not speaking at all until well after the shit has not only hit the fan but the entire fucking fan factory. 

I've seen some people complain about Xavier cussing being out of character, but it fits considering he was suffering from dementia and only really did it while suffering bouts of it. Dementia can affect personalities, not just memories. 

I thought the movie was great, but it kind of kills the X-Men franchise (or at least any sense of hope) unless its acknowledged as yet another alternate future, and I don't see how they can really pull that off without it being a cop out. 

Now, as much as I enjoy the movies with James McAvoy as a younger Professor X, I really can't wait for Fox to lose the rights to the franchise. Because I want the X-Men in the MCU.

Regarding the future...

It is largely implied in Days of Future Past that the odds were they were trading one shitty future for another anyway with a lot of characters wondering if you can truly change the future. Several of the future incidents are still set up, Stryker and the Weapon X program most notably and a few years after the Sentinel program is scrapped this Apocalypse thing happens so non-mutants and their fear is never going to go away. Of course, they've learnt from the past so won't follow on with massive killer robots that someone could find a way of turning against them and go the scientific route, sterilising and essentially wiping out the mutant race with genetically modified crops. While this doesn't explain the death of most of the other X-men, with Jean unlocking pheonix powers earlier it's feasible that Charles had to send his powers into overdrive to counter her at times and having another incredibly powerful, psychic to combat as well as a more militant outlook on the mutant/human "war" mean that his mind is more dangerous should he start to lose control and that risk is more likely in this timeline...

Beast ultimately is proven right about time always finding a way to correct itself somehow and that maybe, mutants were destined to die out. I get why it feels bittersweet but at the same time it kind of made sense.

Wonder Woman has to be good for me to even entertain the possibility that Justice League will be.

I just watched that trailer on my phone with a slight glare and I'm pretty sure I missed 40% of what was happening in the land of eternal darkness.

• Like 2

Binge watched the seven episodes of Legion, and I have to say I don't get all the praise it's been getting. The only episodes I've enjoyed were Chapter 5 and Chapter 7. The first four episodes were a drag, I slept halfway through each one of them. Chapter 5 was a great breath of fresh air before Chapter 6 dove into utter boredom for me again. Chapter 7 was amazing, though, if Aubrey Plaza doesn't get a slew of awards for her performance in that episode, then there is no justice.