Godfatha does WCW 1996

Godfatha

When I was a kid there was no WWF, there was no WCW, no ECW, only territories. And even then, up here in Canada, they were few and far between aside from Stampede Wrestling and later on the AWA up here in Winnipeg. But from my first sight of seeing Mad Dog Vachon had me hooked on wrestling. It was never enough to dedicate my life to as we were so isolated but whenever I had the chance, I would catch a show. I grew up and wrestling took a side step for school. As a kid, I would make no bones about being a wrestling fan; the kids at that point hadn’t really known about it so I was more of an educator than a person who was mocked. I didn’t know how it worked and for all intents and purposes, to me it was a work. I could never really answer the question of how they were able to withstand punches to the face and slams on what appeared to be a hard mat. But to me it didn’t matter, as I was able to see entertainment in what was its purest form for me.

As the years grew by, I knew that it was fake but my interest never waned. Whenever someone would overhear me talking about the next episode of Stampede Wrestling they would quite cynically quip, “You know it’s fake right? I mean, they don’t hit each other and it’s all scripted.” I would just ignore the ignorance seeping from that person as I knew there was no way I would be able to educate this man, so I would just calmly say “So are movies, yet you still enjoy them.” That’s the line. Man, that was the line that I would use and it would shut all the doubters up. They would never be able to come up with a rebuttal as they knew movies were fake and scripted. For the most part, wrestling itself told a story, not just in the interviews, but in the matches. As I grew up, I could understand the stories told, I cheered who I liked and booed who I hated, I was captivated. I had wanted to be a pro wrestler but I had to think realistically as my dad always told me it was a lonely and often painful existence. So that little fantasy dream had to take a slide for something more realistic that would enable me to put food on the table.

As I made my way through University, I played a lot of football. I guess it allowed me to take out some aggressions as any kid that age would tell you. I wasn’t spectacular but it’s something I liked. I was always the person who would always give medical advice for any sort of minor injuries and the coaches appreciated that. I had always wanted to be a doctor and I thought that I wouldn’t mind being a sports doctor as I would be doing what I loved: helping people and enjoying sports. When it came time to write the MCAT I felt pretty good about it, I had a feeling I would get into the interview stage and I would be set.

Then it happened, it was my third year of medicine and I was doing my rotations, proctology is something I don’t want to do and I could tell my third day in this awful 3 week rotation. But that night I had heard about something big being promoted on Closed Circuit television: Wrestlemania. It was the first time I had heard of it as I had been a hermit from wrestling due to med school being harder than I thought. My friend John Stashburger and I decided to check it out; this was before Pay Per View so we had to go to a local bar that was hosting it. After listening to a patron recap the storyline between Hogan and Piper I was hooked. I was so fascinated by this concept of showcasing a wrestling event to all of North America, my interest in wrestling, specifically the WWF, instantly peaked again. At the end of this year, I knew what I wanted to declare my specialty in: sports medicine. At first it was because of football, but this spectacle known as Wrestlemania had me hooked in so many ways.

Four years later, I graduated, I was now a sports doctor. I could have applied with the Blue Bombers or started my own practice, but I figured, if I failed in my dream, I could always fall back on that. For me, if I couldn’t be a wrestler, I had to be involved in the business. I had to be a part of this WWF phenomenon. On May 12, 1988, the WWF came to Winnipeg. Headlined by Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase for the WWF Championship, I made sure that I would be there. I used my connection with John who works in the arena as security to try and get me backstage. I figure this would be my best chance to get my name out. Prior to the event starting he allowed me backstage. What I saw absolutely blew my mind. I saw the good guys and bad guys hanging out with each other. In my awe and amazement at what happened I heard it:

"Get that fucking mark out of here NOW!"

I look over and see George “the Animal” Steele, who would be facing Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart later on, popping Clorets in his mouth for the green tongue effect. This of course shocked me even more, but I mustered enough strength to state:

"I’m…here to apply for a position. As a sports doctor. I just graduated from medical school here in Canada and I’m willing to get a work Visa and move and relocate and…"

Steele cut me off and he could sense my zeal and anxiousness as he laughed and put his big hairy arm around me. We started walking and I saw other wrestler’s getting ready. I could see Savage lacing up his boots, Rick Rude spraying his hair and Koko B. Ware and Heenan working out their match for later on tonight.

"Vince has been looking for more doctors, he’s not here now, but tomorrow we’re going to Omaha, then Hartford, after that you can go see Vince McMahon".

I couldn’t believe why Steele was doing this, why was he so friendly to me when he heard I was a sports doctor?

"But he’s just an announcer…"

Steele laughed a hearty laugh and said:

"Kid, you got a lot to learn about this business."

So began my tenure with the WWF, it’s a date I’ll never forget, May 12, 1988.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be brief since I knew the basics of the story and came up with the catchy subtitle, but it sets up for what should be an interesting ride. I was still markish in this phase in real life, so it'll be a challenge to see if you can make me remember that time or not, at least through the eyes of someone unfamiliar to the business anyway. Good luck with this, and if your booking is the way you say it is, I willl return and feast on your entrails or something <_<

Good work GF, the backstory was fuckin' awesome and I love retro diaries. I'm looking forward to the rest of this! :thumbsup:

Don't forget a Koko B. Ware sighting ;)

The backstory isn't done yet. I'm going out of town today but I'll be back on Friday. I hope to have it done sometime then.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I hope I can live up to the potential you all are giving it.

Edited by Godfatha

Guest Ringmaster

I like the whole feel to the backstory. It's not the average "random rich guy buys WWF/E and runs it". And after what you told me I'm intrigued to see what its all about as well.

May 14, 1988.

Today would be the day that I would meet Vince McMahon. The home of the WWF was in Stamford. We arrived in Hartford that day and everyone wished me good luck with my meeting with Vince. I still didn’t understand why everyone was so nice to me, a mark, when kayfabe was all the rage. I went to the Hertz terminal in the Bradley International Airport of Hartford. I picked up a modest Ford Taurus and proceeded to drive down to Stamford Connecticut myself. After checking into the Stamford Marriott I unpacked my things, sat down and called the number that I was given by Steele.

" Vince McMahon’s office, how may I direct your call?"

"Uh, hi. I was given this number by George Steele and he told me to ask for Mr. McMahon. It’s about a job as a sports physician."

"Oh…yes. Well, Mr. McMahon prefers to meet his clients in person, so how about we set up a meeting then?"

"That’d be great. When is Vince free?"

"Well, if you’re out of town we can arrange for you to fly over and stay at a hotel at our cost"

Shit…why did I have to be so fucking hasty?!

"Umm, actually I’m already in town and I can meet Mr. McMahon anytime."

"Oh perfect, how does tomorrow morning at 9am sound?"

"It sounds great!"

"What hotel are you staying at so we can send a pickup for you?"

"The Stamford Marriott."

"OK, perfect, it will be there at 8:30am. Please make certain you’re on time."

"I will, thanks."

Why the hell was he seeing me first thing in the morning? There’s no way I could have been this special or important, I just graduated from medical school. I was wet behind the ears. Still, it was quite the ego booster that I was important enough for Mr. McMahon to see me first thing in the morning.

I tried to sleep that night but I couldn’t. I just lied there overanalyzing everything in my bed. Why did I have to be so good in my psychiatry rotation?! Damn them, it’s because of that I’ve been so analytical. I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep for awhile, so I turned on the television. Paul Hogan was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson talking about his upcoming sequel, Crocodile Dundee 2. This of course led me to think of the Immortal Hulk Hogan. In the 2 days I was on the house show circuit, I have not had the pleasure of meeting him yet. I had had enough of Hogan’s annoying accent so I turned off the television.

I woke up at 4:47 that morning. I couldn’t sleep any longer. So I took an extra long shower and got myself ready. I made sure I had everything, my medical license, my CV, and anything else of importance. I headed on down for an early breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant while I waited for the limousine.

When I finally arrived at the outskirts of Vince’s office I was scared. I had no reason to be since all the wrestlers told me I was lock as a doctor, but I guess since I’m meeting the man who created this entire empire of the WWF, I would be a little nervous.

"Sir…excuse me…sir…Mr. McMahon will see you now."

I walked through the doors to see an enormous office of Vince McMahon Jr. Vince had a large oak desk which, despite its massive size, was barely containing all the papers that Vince was shuffling through. On each side of the office there were all sorts of exotic plants on each side of the giant room. There was a water cooler right beside Vince and his trash can was overflowing with paper and paper cups.

Jeez, the recycling company would make a fortune here.

I couldn’t help but notice on one wall was a giant portrait of Vince himself on the wall. I stared at it for a second but not for too long lest Vince catch me staring at him.

"Ah, so you’re the doctor who the wrestler’s have been praising about! Come in, sit down. Can I get Gladys to get you anything?"

"Uh..no sir. I feel like I’ve said this a million times, but here goes, I really would like a position in this company as a physician. I just graduated and even though I live in Canada, I’m willing to get a work visa, move here in Stamford, become a citizen, whatever it takes. "

"Whoa, whoa, slow down now. I’m a very busy man, as you can understand. But lemme cut to the chase: We need physicians. Young ones, fresh young ones like you."

"Why, one would think you want experienced ones."

"Well, the truth is that older doctors are more settled with lives, families and whatnot. The fact is our doctors have to travel with us in every single house show and event. That’s a lot of traveling for an experienced doctor to handle and it would take quite a toll so not many are willing to do that. But the fact that you showed such enthusiasm for the job that you’re willing to make so many concessions proves my point entirely. Bottom line is, our old doctors are now getting to the point where the stress is catching up with them. We need new doctors now."

"Well, Mr. McMahon, I’d be willing to travel all over. I’ve loved wrestling since I was young so I wouldn’t even think of it as trouble, I’d think of it as a privilege."

"Privilege huh? Yeah….that it is."

A sort of sneer entered his face and his voice was a sort of growl when he said that. Of course at the time I didn’t care as I was just too happy to have a job in my dream company.

"Oh, before you go, I want to give you this man’s contact information. His name is George Zahorian. Talk to Gladys, then talk to him. It’s imperative you do that otherwise you can’t have this position. Do you understand that?"

"Uh…Yes…sir."

"Good. Please shut the door on the way out."

Vince was chuckling as he said good and he had this dark look on his face. I didn’t know what to make of that. He picked up the phone as I closed his office. Regardless of what just transpired, as of now, I was an employee of the World Wrestling Federation.

Edited by Godfatha

November 2, 1993

I had been working with the company now for five years. Because of my eagerness to learn the business inside out, I was now the number one physician in the company. Because of this, I was no longer seen as a doctor, but now as a friend to wrestlers and creative alike. I had never really pitched ideas at first but when Hulk Hogan really liked my ideas that I would pitch to him during our weekly chats when he would visit my office for his checkup, I decided to go to Vince and tell my ideas. It wasn’t good at first but it was just for Hogan to win the title at Wrestlemania 9. It didn’t really pan out. Now Hogan was gone from the company off to film some beach television show. I guess the reason for that thought was due to me still being in awe of Hogan. There was no reason to be though because I had been seeing him for 4 years before he left. Every week I would deliver him the medication from Dr. Zahorian and Hogan would thank me. But it wouldn’t just be about business, the last time we talked, it was his daughter Brooke and how despite her age, she may have the lead singing role in her Sunday School choir.No one else knew what Hogan and I did each week, but no one asked. It was strange though that no other wrestler ever received a package from Dr. Zahorian through me. But I figure with Hogan being the top guy in the WWF and because of the grueling schedule, it was just pain medication.

That night I got in my 1992 Porsche 968 and drove home. It was a long day but the house show schedule was all done for the week. This whole concept of Monday Night RAW was starting to take off, although that awful Manhattan Center was a tank. As a doctor I felt like I would catch 9 different venereal diseases just walking to the urinal. But it was good to be home in Stamford. I had become a US citizen a few years ago and am now a dual citizen so I won’t be hassled whenever I go back home to visit friends and family. As I got out of my car and put the keys in the door an overwhelming sense of relief hit me. I was home, safe and sound.

I picked up my mail from the past week and set it on the desk. There was nothing of note, some JC Penney catalogue, a few flyers and a couple of useless coupons that allowed me to save ten cents on a can of spinach. I poured myself a rye and coke and sat down to watch some TV. I saw a commercial for the movie Super Mario Brothers and I promptly changed the channel. Robin Williams had just finished talking to Jay Leno about his upcoming movie Mrs. Doubtfire while Jay told us to wait for Tim Burton as he talks about the success of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Well, one out of three good movies isn’t bad I guess.

The next morning I was disturbed from my peaceful sleep by a phone call at 8:34 am.

“….mm…Hello?”

”We have to talk to you now immediatly. It’s very important, we will be arriving at your location at 9:30am. Goodbye.”

I lay there in bed, still half-asleep and hung over, silence gripped me until I heard that click and the dialtone.

”What?”

I managed to drag myself out of bed and into the shower, sure enough at 9:30 my doorbell rang. Had any of my fellow physicians seen me they would have laughed at my dress despite the fact I had a brand new sports car and a 3 story house. I answered the door and three men in jet black suits were standing at my door.

”My name is Agent Steve Wickstrom and these are my partners Agent Colin Mendes, and Agent Aaron Taylor. May we step in to talk to you for a moment?

They all flashed me their badges and even though I had never seen a real FBI badge I could tell they were real in the same way you can tell if a passport is real despite the fact you have no idea what to look for.

I gathered them all in the living room.

”What’s this all about?”

”Do you work for the World Wrestling Federation as their sports physician?”

”Yeah, I do. Why?”

“Have you been in contact with Dr. Zahorian? Have you received anything from him?”

”Yes, Mr. McMahon told me to see him as he had intimate knowledge of the wrestlers’ medical conditions.”

“Did you receive any packages from Dr. Zahorian?”

”Yeah…pain medication for one of my wrestlers.”

”Who?”

Of course now it hit me that I should have been a bit more discrete in my answers. I didn’t have to tell them a damn thing but I was still confused, tired and hung over; it’s too late to take back what I said, but I’ll be damned if I give out any more information before I know what’s going on.

“I can’t tell you that I’m sorry. It’s the doctor-patient confidentiality agreement.”

”Alright, since you’re the head physician, is it safe for us to assume that you have seen all the wrestlers at one point?”

”I’m not saying anything. I want my lawyer.”

The agents then talked amongst themselves for a few seconds, then Agent Wickstrom leaned over to me.

“Let me be blunt, we know about Dr. Zahorian. We’ve tapped his phone lines and your name was mentioned several times in his conversations with Vince McMahon. You say you were delivering pain medication, have you ever even opened one of those packages up?”

”No, like I said, there’s no reason to.”

“You’ve been delivering steroids to a Terry Bollea for 4 years, we could charge you right now if we want to. Your medical career would be over and in turn your life…over. We have all the evidence as the phone taps tell us everything about you. We can fucking destroy your life right here, right now if we wanted to if you don’t play ball.”

”What? No, that….that can’t be. Oh my God…oh…fuck. Don’t, don’t arrest me please. I didn’t know; I was just delivering them to him. I was a normal doctor, I didn’t traffic anything.”

“Lucky for you, we don’t care about small time people like you. We’re going after the bigger fish, your boss, Vince McMahon.”

”What? Vince? Why?!”

“We have reason to believe that Vince McMahon was allowing wrestlers to take steroids and even providing them with sources to get these drugs. Now unfortunately for us, Dr. Zahorian has never talked to Vince McMahon specifically about steroids but we do know that Dr. Zahorian deals out steroids. As you can see, there isn’t enough to go beyond reasonable doubt. This is where you come in. We want you to testify against Vince McMahon in exchange for full immunity on your part.”

”What…oh…Jesus. I…I can’t. I don’t know if I can. My job…I’ll be blackballed from the medical community.”

“Don’t worry about that, we’ll take care of you, we’ll provide you with a new name, new identity and even a new medical licence so you can relocate and still practice. You won’t be touched by us ever again so long as you keep your nose clean. Now, do we have a deal, or should we indict you as well?”

I didn’t know what to say, I lowered my head and in a resigned voice I accepted. I would be turning my back on the man who allowed me to accomplish my dream.

On Friday, November 19, 1993, Vince McMahon was indicted for the charges I was told about by the three FBI agents. Part of the deal that I signed was that I wasn’t allowed to tip off anyone about what had transpired. Let me tell you, those two weeks were the hardest two weeks of my life.

On May 30, 1994, I testified against my boss, Vince McMahon. My name wasn’t on the list as I would be a surprise witness called in case things were going sour for the prosecution. They were as their evidence was shrouded in contradictions, as I appeared I could see the look in Vince’s eyes and suddenly it all became clear:

Vince wanted young doctors because they’d be easily corrupt by the easy money they’d be getting. He knew that after medical school they’d be near broke with student loans and if flashed a lot of money they’ll damned near break the Hippocratic Oath if they had to. He also knew that more experienced doctors are more likely to be suspicious and thus might turn in Vince. He knew that younger doctors would be more likely to follow the very rules they were indirectly breaking by not asking too many questions (as they wanted to keep the cash coming in) and by not looking in any of the packages. Yet here I was testifying against him. The knowledge that I had would be dangerous, but luckily, despite the fact that I was testifying against my boss, I didn’t want to destroy his life and family. To say that I lied would be a wrong as I didn’t, I just stated only the bare minimum when it came to questions and I pleaded the Fifth Amendment a few times. God Bless America.

Finally, on July 16, 1994, after 16 hours of deliberation, the jury found Vince McMahon innocent of the charges brought against him. Dr. Zahorian would later be found guilty of twelve counts related to illegal steroid distribution. I was happy that Vince survived that aftermath but I was worried about the aftermath, what if the Government wouldn’t live through their promises? In my deep thought, Vince approached me with anger and hurt in his eyes. The look of relief and satisfaction went away the minute he saw me. He looked at me and said:

“You’re fired. You’ll never work for our company again. You’ve betrayed me, you’ve betrayed everyone. And for what? Nothing. You’ve destroyed your only chance at achieving your dream. Goodbye and good luck with the rest of your life.”

Vince walked away saying nothing else. The federal attorneys approached me and we had things to discuss.

June 7, 1996

It had been two years since I even watched a wrestling program. The feds lived up to their deal and I am now living in Virginia enjoying my life. I’m married and kids will be in production soon. I’ve set up a practice as a family doctor and I’m doing things I couldn’t do during my tenure in the WWF, like playing the game of golf. Let me tell you, Virginia has some beautiful courses down here.

While riding my mower my wife stepped out with the phone in her hand.

”Honey, it’s for you.”

”Thanks, who is it?”

”I’m not sure, he didn’t say.”

“Hello?”

“Ah, there he is. How are you?”

”I’m fine, who are you and what do you want?”

”How would you like to be in the wrestling business again?”

Shit, what the hell?

”How did you find out about that?!”

”Relax don’t worry. Trust me, there will be no illegal misdoings here, and whatever you were making in the WWF we can triple it.”

”How can I be certain of this?

”Well why don’t you come on down then, and we can put it in your contract so everything will be nice and 100% legal.

I’m not going to make the same mistake I did nearly 8 years ago.

”Fine, I’ll come on down to meet you, but only if you fly me down and pay for my accommodations.”

“I understand that and it’s done. Fly down to Atlanta, and we’ll reimburse you for the money spent.”

”Great, now, who are you and why do you want me?”

”My name is Eric Bischoff, and I work for WCW. I want to hire you for the position of head physician and personal assistant to me.”

”Assistant?”

“Ah…yes, that was worded improperly. Let’s just say, you and I will be spending a lot of time together, I’m the head booker of WCW and I’m interested in you being my partner in booking WCW.”

Holy shit, booking WCW. I knew of them but I wasn’t really impressed of what they were doing. The Dungeon of Doom? Yikes. But still, I can’t really turn down this job as they’re going to pay me triple of what I made at the WWF, I’ll be able to practice and help to run WCW.

”I’ll agree to meet you, I’ll be there tomorrow, but my wife will be with us as well.”

”Of course, I understand.

”Just one more question, why do you want me?”

”It’s simple, I already hired two of Vince’s biggest stars, so I’ve already said “fuck you” on a talent wise standpoint, but with the hiring of you, what better way is there to say “fuck you” to Vince than to hire a man who knows all of his secrets?”

Hol-y Shit. That there was my 2nd Favourite backstory (2nd to LAW) and now I'm interested to see what you can do with the shows. But just from the subtitle I'm assuming you'll be hiring Randy Orton. Oh hell Yes. for the first time in a long time let me just say.

COME ON WCW :thumbsup:

The next day I’m at the parking lot of WCW Headquarters. My wife is sitting beside me looking anxious and a bit upset that I would even consider Eric’s offer. She knew of my past and certainly did not want me jeopardizing my future again. For this time it’s not just my future, it’s hers and any future children’s. The chauffeur opened our doors and welcomed us to WCW Headquarters. It certainly looks a lot more extravagant than the Titan Towers I became familiar with, but with Ted Turner financing your company, what do you expect.

As we walked in the building, something caught my eye, Diesel and Razor Ramon, or their incarnations as Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Underneath there was something about the Invasion from up north. I knew that Nash and Hall were hired by WCW but this was a brilliant strategy by Bischoff; making it as if Hall and Nash came from the WWF to invade WCW.

I started to walk towards the elevator when I pulled out the poorly scribbled note in my pocket. It told of what floor Eric was on…

”Top floor, figures…” I mumbled to myself.

When I got to the top of the building, everything looked a lot different than Vince’s head office. OK, well there’s still a secretary but everything seemed a lot more relaxed. I saw Ted Turner’s gap-toothed smile looking right at me instead of the stern gaze of Vince McMahon and I knew that it would be a better environment working for WCW.

”Southern comfort.” I muttered to myself.

Eric opened the door to greet us. He was grinning a wide grin wearing a WCW t-shirt, a leather jacket and really, really tight blue denim jeans.

”Come in doctor! Come in! And…oh wow. This must be your wife, wow, she truly is a lot more gorgeous in person. Please, come in and sit down. Make yourselves at home, anything you want, ANYTHING, just name it and it’s yours.”

As soon as I walked into Eric’s office I could notice a difference in between his and Vince’s. Instead of what seemed like millions of disorganized papers on his desk, a giant takeout coffee cup stood on Eric’s desk. The latest copy of USA was on it and that was it. There was a lot more plant life surrounding the desk than Vince’s. And it wasn’t just the basic simple plants, they were exotic with differing colors and some with giant leaves. It seemed strange that Vince was busy working on who knows what and Eric is just…sitting with his coffee and his paper.

”So…I told you the offer, what’s it going to be?

”OK, Eric,….”

”Don’t you dare get my husband involved in any funny business. So help me God if you do!!!!”

”Relax, the main reason why I want him is not for his medical skills, but for him to aid me in booking WCW. As you know, we’re about to turn a corner here, people are starting to be attracted by what we’re doing. I saw this invasion angle in Japan and I’m convinced it can work here.” He chuckled here…We’re gonna use Vince’s own guys against him and bury him! And I want you to help me do it. Make him regret firing you!”

”Why do you think I’ll even be a good booker?”

”Well, Terry was telling me about the ideas that you had when you and him were together in the WWF and he thought they were pretty good.”

”Wait…Terry…Bollea? Is he here?”

Eric chuckled again and said ”Oh, no he’s not. But should you accept you’ll be working very closely with him.” He pointed to my wife “and not with drugs I assure you. Like I said, you’ll be booking with me and if things turn out in the positive end for WCW, you might even be head booker.”

”What makes you think I’m qualified? Why can’t you do this, or one of your staff members?”

”Well the reason why I can’t do it is because I know business is starting to pick up and I won’t be able to handle booking and dealing with the execs. It’ll be too much for me and I’ll burn out too quickly. I mean look at me already, I dye my hair because of all the stress.” Eric chuckled at that, I don’t know why. It’s not that funny, maybe he just likes chuckling. ”As for my staff members, the answer is simple, we have a lot of Vince’s former stars, stars who worked with you. You know them better than anyone on my creative team, you’ll know how to work with them. You’ll have writers and everything, you won’t be doing everything alone! You’ll also have your own assistant named Sophie. Sophie can you come in here?”

In walked this stunning woman with legs as long as a palm tree. My wife, God bless her, was right beside me, and while she was attractive, this Sophie character was just….fucking hot. I looked over at my wife with this goofy grin on my face; I wish I could say she had that expression as well, but she didn’t. To say she gave me the scowling of a lifetime would be an understatement. As soon as I saw my wife my grin went away.

”Uh, Eric, I appreciate the offer, I really do. But I’m not so certain I want to get back in the business. I mean, you’re offering me my dream and with tremendous dream, but…I’ve got to think about my family.”

”Well here’s the thing, you just have to be in the city for Nitro, and the PPV. That’s it. Sophie can handle the house show booking. You can move your family here, I mean, Virginia isn’t too far from Atlanta. And if you want, you can still have your practice here.”

”Eric, I have to know, how did you find me?”

”Come on, I knew of you for awhile now. And with Turner’s money and his connections in the government, you’d have to be naïve to think I wouldn’t find you!” Once again, he chuckled at that.

”And you said he’ll be paid…how much?”

I looked at my wife with a shocked look. Well, I guess money does talk.

Eric had a sly grin on his face ”$3.6 million a year."

With that both me and my wife just stopped moving. We were stunned at that announcement. Damn, Bischoff loves spending Turner’s money.

”So for only…5 days a week, he gets $3.6 million a year?!”

”That’s right. Eric leaned back and kicked his feet up on the desk smiling. ”So what’ll it be?

”When would I start?

”Well if you could, right now, there’s some things I want to talk about our next event, Bash at the Beach. But that’s only if you agree, we can work out a contract at a latter date with our lawyers.”

I looked over at my wife, and I knew she wanted me to take it. So I nodded my head. My wife then shook Eric’s hand and told me she’d meet me back at the hotel.

”Well, what’ve you got in mind Eric?

”It’s Bash at the Beach, as you know I’ve got Hall and Nash invading WCW and Sting, Luger and Savage will defend WCW at the Bash. But I need a third person, once I get that we can work on the rest of the card.”

”Did you have anyone in mind?”

”Yeah, I had Bret Hart in mind as his contract was up with the WWF, but he just signed with Vince. So now I don’t know what to do.”

”I’ve got an idea Eric….”

And with that we set work on the Bash at the Beach card for next month. It would be my first show that I booked.

Nah I ain't gonna hire Orton, he was 16 at this point in time ;)

WCW Nitro: Greensboro Coliseum, 5.68 Rating, 5014 tickets sold, $200560 in ticket sales.

Well, the Bash at the Beach was done, The Horsemen turned face and Hogan turned heel. The n.W.o was born and I couldn’t be prouder. It was my idea that allowed all of this to start. Of course when people saw it people proclaimed Eric as the genius but I knew it was all me. The next night would be the toughest, Greensboro, South Carolina. My first booked show in Nitro. I was still relatively new at this as Bischoff figured that people will tune into Nitro regardless so it didn’t matter if it was a bad show so long as the announcers hyped what happened the night before. He figured it would be a safe night for me to book my first show. As 6:57 drew closer and closer I got more and more scared, I didn’t want to disappoint Eric otherwise I’ll never be allowed to book again and I’ll be stuck as a doctor, still, the $3.6 million a year was quite nice.

The pyro hit and the Nitro theme music played all across the arena, I sat in the gorilla position with my headphones on so I could hear the announcers. Rey Mysterio Jr. flashed me a good luck sign as Ultimo Dragon headed out to the ring.

Tony: ”Welcome everyone to a new era in WCW! This promises to be one of the most historic Nitro’s…..in WCW history. Hulk Hogan is here tonight to further explain his actions by aligning himself with the n.W.o and most importantly, address his intentions. Also tonight is Arn Anderson taking on Scott Hall, and the mega event we have for you with Sting and Luger taking on Hogan and Nash! With me as always, is the Brain himself, Bobby Heenan.”

Heenan:”You got that right Schiavone, did I call it last night or what? I said it as soon as Hogan came out, ‘who’s side is he on?!’ I knew it from my years with Hogan that he was no good and this proves me right…..as always.”

The camera then stopped focusing on the announcers and panned above the ring to see Ultimo Dragon standing in the ring already. Rey Mysterio Jr.’s music hit the speakers and fans rose to their feet.

Tony:”Hooo boy, what a way to kick off Nitro then to see our cruiser division showcase their talent. We’ve got two of the best in Rey Mysterio and Ultimo Dragon. And here…we…go.”

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Ultimo Dragon

The crowd silenced themselves as they began to watch two of the most interesting cruisers to ever grace the WCW ring. That’s something I noticed about that ring, it’s definitely too small. I never liked it but I was in no shape to complain since I was just hired. Rey and Ultimo locked up in a traditional collar-and-elbow lockup. After a series of arm drags by both wrestlers, reversals, and flips, it was clear both men were at a stalemate. The crowd started to warm up to the match.

Tony:”Folks we are told that this match is for a shot at the Cruiserweight title which was successfully defended by Dean Malenko last night. The winner of this match and Malenko will hook it up at Road Wild. And Mysterio with a beautiful hurricurana! He covers Dragon, hooks the leg!!!!! No, he only gets two.”

Heenan: “You know that Mysterio, he’s a great athlete. Wrestling is in his blood. He never married anyone because he doesn’t know how to put the ring on her finger.”

That Heenan, even still, he loved to crack wise cracks. After some more back and forth action, Mysterio managed to steal the victory with a flying hurricurana.

Tony:”And hoo boy, look who’s coming out now. It’s the Cruiserweight Champion Dean Malenko and he does not look happy.”

Heenan:”Does he ever look happy Schiavone? Does he ever look sad?!”

Malenko stood in the ring with Mysterio, the title draped across his shoulder as he stared at Mysterio’s eyes. He extended his hand for a handshake but decked Mysterio with a clothesline during the shake. Then just as he walked in, he walked out of the ring looking as cool as ice. The feud was set for Road Wild.

****1/4, 83%, 67%, 99%

Tony:Folks stay tuned, we’re getting word that the n.W.o will be joining us, next. Don’t forget, Anderson and Hall and Luger and Sting take on Nash and Hogan!”

I stood at the gorilla position as the folks were counting down from commercial. All of a sudden the porno music of the n.W.o. hit and out walked the three men. Hall did that stupid airplane walk while Nash stood really tall lifting up his fingers. Hogan played the guitar but he still looked like a wrinkly, old, mess. Regardless, I still admired Hogan.

Interview with the n.W.o

Tony:”Well folks, here they are, the New World Order standing in the ring, our ring, WCW’s ring.”

Hogan” Ya know somethin’ boys? Ever since last night, all you fans have been booing the Hulkster. You all told me that I’ve turned my backs on all of you. I’ve turned my backs on you?! Well lemme tell you somethin’ brother, when I was done my time up North, I wanted to be done with wrestling. But I came back, I came to WCW, and what did I get? A pathetic ticker tape parade. No one cheered when I came to WCW and ripped off my shirts brother. So the way I see it is, you fans didn’t care. So if you didn’t care about me, why should I care about you? Or you guys in the booth. Why should I care about WCW as a whole? As far as I’m concerned, you people can just STICK IT~! The n.W.o doesn’t care about you guys and that’s why we’re here, to destroy what is WCW.”

Hall:”…Heeyyy yooo.” The crowd cheers. ”It goes like this meng….we here at the n.W.o are taking over. We wanna see who can step up, and who will be crushed. As far as we’re concerned, we’re gonna see a lot more people joining us, but lemme tell you, we will only accept the best of what this company has to offer. So Flexy Lexy, The Sting Man, Flair….we’re waiting.”

Nash:”Well, this is WCW huh?! This is where the Big Boys play? Well lemme tell you, we’ve got the biggest one of them all right here in Kevin Nash. Any of you WCW boys wanna take on a real challenger who came from up North, we’re waiting, because we’re here, and we’re here to take over.”

Nash drops the mic as they walk off.

86%

The commercials come on again as the three men headed backstage. The Steiners and Public Enemy were standing beside me getting ready to head to the ring. I could hear the countdown and I heard Tony’s voice in my ears.

Tony:”Welcome back, powerful words from the New World Order Brain. Just powerful.”

Brain:”You got that right Schiavone. Like I said, I never liked Hogan and I told you all I was right. What did I get in return, a weasel suit.” A powerful silence stood between the announcers. Was he supposed to say that?!

Tony:”Uhh folks, remember to stay tuned tonight for Hogan and Nash taking on Sting and Luger.”

Out came Public Enemy for their match with the Steiners.

Steiners vs. Public Enemy

The fans didn’t seem to care about this one too much but then again the workrate of these guys never really gave them reason to care. This is something that must be looked at, the Steiners are fine, but man, Public Enemy.

It was your typical brawlfest between the Steiners and PE, but the Steiners would always have the fans cheering with the Steinerlines and the hot tag to the Dog faced Rick. After a few suplexes from Rick Steiner, Scott was tagged in.

Tony:”Rocco Rock here, on the top turnbuckle. He’s in danger here, and wait, watch out! Frankensteiner! Steiner with the cover, the count, the victory! Steiner Brothers win!”

**1\2, 70%, 68%, 72%

Tony:” Scott is grabbing the mic here, it looks like he wants to say a few words.”

Steiners do an interview.

Scott:”Harlem Heat, you all know what we want. You have those belts, we want a shot at ‘em. At Road Wild, it’s going to be you, and us. We’ve beaten team after team and guess what guys, you’re next!”

Rick:”That’s right Scott!” He begins to bark a bit and the crowd catches on. ”Booker T, Stevie Ray, hold on to those belts REEEEAL tight, they’re ours at Road Wild. So if you’re willing, come get some!”

78%

Tony: “Well folks, we’re heading for a commercial break, stay tuned as WCW Nitro returns!”

Nitro was progressing well so far, people seemed to be enjoying themselves. I just hoped they would continue to do so as the night progresses.

Tony:”Welcome back folks, what a night we’ve had so far and we’re only halfway through. Stay tuned for Anderson vs. Hall and….wait a minute. I’m getting word in the back. The n.W.o are there, let’s see if we can get a camera backstage.”

The n.W.o strike

A camera in the back is shown running “Cops” style when we hear a bunch of screams. What we see is horrific. An absolutely bloody McMichael is lying motionless. Nash, Hall and Hogan are stomping his near lifeless body.

Nash: “How do you like that huh Horseman?! You’re pathetic!”

Hall picked up McMichael and put him in the Outsiders Edge. He threw him onto the hood of a car. His head smashed into the front windshield. The crowd let out a huge “OOOHHHH” and a tiny “Holy shit” chant could be heard if you’re trying to hear for it. Nash then picks up McMichael and proceeds to Jackknife McMichael on the hood but it wasn’t close enough. Nash held on as he slammed McMichael onto the car, well his head hit the car. The rest hit the pavement.

Tony: “Good God! Where are the Horsemen?!? Why aren’t they stopping this massacre?

78%

The Giant to the rescue

Tony:” Wait just a minute. Look who’s there, it’s the Giant! The Giant is here to save McMichael!”

At the sight of the Giant, Hall and Nash backed off but Hogan stared at The Giant right in his face.

Giant:”Back off….NOW!!!!” Hogan glares at the Giant.

Hogan:”Alright, that’s enough. I gotta get ready, we all do.”

The scene fades off with medics finally able to tend to McMichael as the Giant cracks a bit of a smile.

79%

The Horsemen talk…

We come back to air and we see Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit backstage in their lockerroom.

Ric:”They did WHAT?! Well where is he now?! Why did he get to the arena now?! Where was he all day?!?!”

Ric was livid, he was saying all those questions so fast it was as if it was one giant question. You can bet he threw off his jacket and was jumping around while talking.

Arn:”Mongo said he wanted to go out and explore Greensboro on his own. I hadn’t seen him since. He must have gotten here before us.”

Ric:”Well why the hell weren’t we informed of all of this?! Why didn’t anyone knock on our door when it happened?! Why did they knock on our door now!?”

Arn:”I dunno Ric, you were the one who came in and told us the news. Why didn’t you come in sooner?

Ric:”What, you think I wanted that to happen?! I’m Ric Flair, this is the Horsemen, I’m the LEADER of the Horsemen. And right now we’re crippled because of the n.W.o. Get out of here!” Flair pushes out the camera man as Arn leaves the room.

99%

Tony:”Folks stay with us, Arn Anderson will be taking on Scott Hall. Next!”

As we come back we see Scott Hall take his time to get to the ring. The porno music is playing as he swaggers to the ring. Before he could even take the mic Anderson comes walking down to the ring with a purpose.

Arn Anderson vs. Scott Hall

Arn begins with a vicious series of fists to Hall. You can tell the anger in his eyes because of Hall taking out one of the Horsemen. Arn was wrestling as if he wanted to take out Hall for good.

Tony:”Huge Spinebuster!”

Bobby:”That’ll quiver your liver.”

Tony:”He’s got him pinned….no! 2 count. Oh wait a minute, wait just a minute. Ric Flair now is coming to the ring!”

Flair entered the ring. He placed the knucks on the floor outside the ring where referee Nick Patrick wouldn’t see it. He then got on the apron and started shouting “I’M RIC FLAIR DAMMIT! WHOOOOOOOOOO~!” This of course got a nice response from the crowd. When the ref’s back was turned, Arn took the knucks and plastered Hall with it.

Tony:” There it is, the cover! 1, 2, 3!!! Anderson wins!”

***1\4, 81%, 81% 81%

Bobby:”Uh oh, he’s got the mic, you know there’s trouble when he’s got the mic!”

Flair speaks…

Flair:”Hall, you think by taking out Mongo, you can take out the Horsemen?! You think you can take out WCW?! Well lemme tell ya, I made WCW baby! WOOO! I built it with my sweat and my tears and I’ll be damned if I let you take it away from me without a fight!”

93%

The camera fades off on Flair’s face. When we come back we hear Lord Steven Regal’s music. Eddie Guerrero comes out after him in what should be a classic bout.

Eddie vs. Regal

This was a technical masterpiece for what it was. Their contrasting styles gelled perfectly as Eddie showed off his quick luchadore style but Regal easily reversed it into his slow methodical holds. The crowd started to get behind Eddie. I’m really liking these two, I could see big things in the future for both of them. When I stopped daydreaming, Eddie was climbing the top rope for the Frog Splash. 1, 2, 3. It’s over. The fans popped harder for Eddie after the match than before, hint, hint.

***1/4, 77, 65, 89

Tony:”Folks, we’ll be taking our final commercial break, when we return, Sting and Luger will take on Hollywood Hogan and Kevin Nash. Stay tuned!!!

The final commercial break was upon us, Nitro was almost done and I’d be hearing about it from Eric and the rest of the brass. I hope I did a good job.

Tony:”We’re back and uh oh, what the hell?!”

The screen cut off for the n.W.o., it was the first time it was done and the crowd really seemed to come alive. Out walked Hogan and Nash. Nash still looks like Diesel, I don’t care what anyone says. Hogan, well, he suddenly got “bigger” then when he first appeared on WCW. But at least this time, my hands were clean.

Sting and Luger came out separately. Finally, when all the dust was settled, Sting and Hogan squared off in the ring. Before any actual wrestling occurred, Hogan flexed his biceps at Sting and the crowd booed. Sting did his high pitched “wooo” with his hands cupped around his mouth. Naturally, in a Pavlovian response, it got huge cheers. Poor Lex Luger was left behind also flexing his muscles, too bad that’s the only thing he has going for him.

Sting and Hogan traded some, what would have been for other wrestlers, boring offense, but since it was Hogan and Sting the crowd ate it up. Nash tagged in, and for some reason Sting tagged in Luger. I watched in horror as these two tried to come up with a match. Although to be fair, Nash did have some decent moves in his repertoire. Luger lived up to his role in the match and was simply fodder for Nash to serve as the hot tag for Sting.

Nash:”I want that title Flexy Lexy, and I’m going to take it at Road Wild!!!”

There was supposed to be a reaction from the crowd, but there was nothing. Oh great, on my first fucking day they give me nothing to work with. Yargh…

After the hot tag Sting got decked by Hogan’s belt whipping and Luger had to carry the team. Even with all his muscles there is no way he can do that. In the end, Nash Jackknifed powerbombed Luger into the mat. There it is: 1, 2, 3.

Tony:”What a night for the n.W.o! Could this be foreshadowing of what’s to come. We’ll find out next week on WCW Nitro! Goodnight everyone!”

That’s it…it’s done. My first night as booker, was…complete.

The show seemed rushed. The backstory was drawn out, written with detail, I could tell you were putting effort into it, but I didn't get the same impression with the show.

I don't mind summarized matches at all, but these barely even painted a picture of what was going on.

Eddie vs. Regal's pretty high up the card considering both of their positions at the time.

You could have done a lot more with the crowd responses, especially during the NWO interview. Considering Hulk Hogan had just turned his back on the World of Wrestling, showing the fans reaction to that would have been helpful.

The backstory really got my hopes up and really, that was just disappointing.

Yeah, I felt it being a bit rushed. It's the first time writing a show so I didn't know what format felt best for me in terms of writing down matches and promos. I'm still in the feeling out period.

When I re-read it just now I feel disappointed as well. 8 pages in Word seems like a lot but then you realize that it's not enough.