The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Just watched the first Star Wars, or a New Hope as I guess its called.

Spoiler

That guy in the black mask, (Vaydurr I think he's called) is pretty bad ass. Sucks that they killed off Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru so early, feel that totally took away from the story. Then they killed Obee One too! (Why would you close your eyes and just stand there with your lightsaver? Pretty dumb if you ask me.) Totally bummed me out for the rest of the movie. That Luke guy is alright, but don't see any reason why he'd ever stand a chance against Vaydurr. Porkins was more believable, but they killed him off too! Luke probably should've died in that garbage pit, his story arc really didn't go anywhere after that. Was too distracted by the cinnamon bun hairstyle to take any scene with the princess seriously. The guy who played Han Solo was pretty good, but he probably won't have much of a career outside this movie. What's his name Garrison Ford? He should probably take acting lessons from Hayden Christensen. Artudeetu did his best, but was clearly lacking the comedic timing of Jar Jar Binks. And where was that Yoda guy from the first three episodes? Talk about a missed opportunity, hope they use him in the sequel if there is one. Can't say I'll watch that again, guess I'll wait to see how the sequel is though, but unless that bear guy who growls a lot takes down Vaydurr, I don't think there's much hope, especially if they don't use more CGI or talk more about trade negotiations.

I saw that and I was like "um, fuel has always been a thing in Star Wars."

Finally got round to watching The Last Jedi. I don't disagree with any of the criticisms you can make but I enjoyed it a lot more than I recall about The Force Awakens.

That "Everything Wrong With..." video JTH posted was so insufferable I stopped watching it after the 4th "sin".

I never really realized that people had all that much of a problem with Last Jedi - I wasn't quite blown away or anything but I never really thought anything bad of it to be honest.

I will say that I am overly hyped for Solo right now and I almost need to see that movie.

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

Finally got round to watching The Last Jedi. I don't disagree with any of the criticisms you can make but I enjoyed it a lot more than I recall about The Force Awakens.

That "Everything Wrong With..." video JTH posted was so insufferable I stopped watching it after the 4th "sin".

Cinema Sins is representative of the absolute dirt worst of film criticism or internet content.

• Like 5

Currently watching the first episode of the CGI Clone Wars series. It's still part of the canon, right? I watched the CGI film a few months back in preparation but never quite got round to the series until now. I'm guessing the earlier series isn't considered canon if the more recent one is, because I'd imagine they present conflicting ideas, but I might watch both if they seem entertaining enough.

3 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Currently watching the first episode of the CGI Clone Wars series. It's still part of the canon, right? I watched the CGI film a few months back in preparation but never quite got round to the series until now. I'm guessing the earlier series isn't considered canon if the more recent one is, because I'd imagine they present conflicting ideas, but I might watch both if they seem entertaining enough.

When they created the Legends concept - the only things existing that were considered canon were the prequel trilogy, the original trilogy and The Clone Wars so yeah, it's proper canon. Anything that came off it (games, novels, etc.) are still part of the Legends concept however.

I think Alden did the best he could, given that he's trying to be the younger version of an iconic character and Harrison Ford has a natural bravado that is just not possible to recreate.

A few thoughts:

Spoiler

Can we have ONE Star Wars movie without a wacky droid to bring comic relief? L3 or whatever the hell her name is supposed was fun but it's a concept that has just been driven into the ground at this point.

Donald Glover had a much easier task in being Lando as we know almost nothing about who he actually was or what he did, other than that he was "friends" with Han, had the Falcon at some point and apparently became the Mayor of a floating city in a card game or something. 

Woody Harrelson was great because he's always great

I wasn't a big fan of them shoehorning Easter eggs from the prequel trilogy. Like...the part with Han committing murder at the end of the movie. They might as well have put in giant letters on the screen "FINE, HE SHOT FIRST. ARE YOU HAPPY?" Or Han and Lando's "I hate you.": "I know" bit.

This movie is apparently about 12 BBY, or 20 years after Episode I so who knows about this Darth Maul nonsense

1 hour ago, El Hijosh del Ice Cream said:

Solo had a rough start, but kept getting better as it went. It’s the worst one since the Disney purchase, but I had a decent time.

Spoiler

I'm guessing the Proxima stuff must have been lost in the transition because she's made to be this huge villain and is literally on screen for about a minute and that entire plot just disappears

3 minutes ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That wasn’t a problem for me at all. I saw what they were doing and it was fine.

For a movie that was basically reshot less than a year ago, featured someone playing an iconic role by one of Hollywood's most iconic actors, and was largely unnecessary in the greater scheme of Star Wars, Solo was a pretty damn good movie.

It definitely was disjointed. Everything on Corellia felt like a pilot for a TV show. Like we got dropped in to this world with Proxima and before we know it she's been defeated or something. Donald Glover was excellent as Lando. Emilia Clarke excellent as Qi'ra. Most of the acting was really good and they brought these characters to life in really interesting ways. It painted a good picture of parts of the galaxy before the Rebellion, how there's all these disparate people trying to find a way to band together to take on the most powerful entity in the galaxy. It had all the cool Star Wars stuff for a fan of all the little details of the galaxy.

But there were no stakes. We knew Han got out okay and eventually went off to Tatooine. We knew Lando survived. And we knew Qi'ra would stop being a part of Han's life, though for her to be working for Maul was a neat twist.

Overall, good movie.

• Like 2

I'm guessing they're doing more Solo films, if only because...

Spoiler

How you make a Han Solo prequel without Jabba The Hutt or Boba Fett is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I'm guessing they're doing more Solo films, if only because...

Hide contents

How you make a Han Solo prequel without Jabba The Hutt or Boba Fett is beyond me.

Spoiler

I mean, Boba Fett I don't see why he'd be necessary, but Jabba I agree with. It seemed implied to me that the next stop for Han & Chewie after the end of this film was to go and work for Jabba on Tattooine. The Maul stuff made me think that they were spinning it off into an Obi Wan movie instead though, or at least hedging their bets in case Solo itself didn't do well at the box office.

16 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:
  Hide contents

I mean, Boba Fett I don't see why he'd be necessary, but Jabba I agree with. It seemed implied to me that the next stop for Han & Chewie after the end of this film was to go and work for Jabba on Tattooine. The Maul stuff made me think that they were spinning it off into an Obi Wan movie instead though, or at least hedging their bets in case Solo itself didn't do well at the box office.

Spoiler

I always felt there was the implication of Fett and Solo having a history - the obsession with which Fett tracks Solo in Empire Strikes Back struck me as having much more behind it than just wanting to get the bounty on his head. Especially as, in the remaster of A New Hope, Fett is seen lurking around the Millennium Falcon while Han Solo speaks with Jabba The Hutt - so it seems like he was keeping an eye on him even before, presumably, there was a bounty on his head.

Given that Solo basically kills Fett as well, it would give him a good well-rounded story, and give some symmetry to it, if he and Solo had been long-term rivals. I'm probably reading more into it than I should, and being influenced by half-remembered bits of expanded universe novels, but I always perceived an implicit acknowledgement of Han and Fett having a history.

Hell, I'd have cut Darth Maul from Solo and replaced him with Boba Fett, if they wanted a dramatic reveal of a known villain - especially as Darth Maul's appearance relies on viewers following the cartoons in order to understand how he's even still alive. Tying him into Han Solo's story felt wholly arbitrary. And it's in violation of the Rule of Two, if we're going to get really Star Wars nerdy about it.

The film definitely ended with Han and Chewie going to work for Jabba, but unless - or even if - they're planning a Han Solo series, that seems like such an odd point to end this story. Han's backstory, insofar as it matters, should be pretty intertwined with Jabba's, and their work together - so either he and Jabba hadn't been working together all that long at the start of A New Hope, or there's going to be a run of Solo movies that will only add a preposterously long period of time between Solo and A New Hope. As if the timeline doesn't already feel completely out of whack as it is.

I'm in two minds about the Boba Fett spin-off - for me, the Boba Fett character was damaged beyond repair by the backstory given to him in the prequels. There's no mystery or intrigue around him any more. If we still only had the original trilogy to work with, then I'd say it was a huge opportunity for a mad sci-fi western, but as it is, I have very little interest.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I agree with that, I've no interest in a Boba Fett film for the same reasons. I hadn't thought much about Han and Fett's implied relationship so I suppose that would add some fuel for the two of them to appear together.

Perhaps, somehow, they'll tie individual Solo, Fett and Obi Wan films together instead of having a series of Solo-specific ones? Might involve too much shoehorning for my liking but it's one way of going.

On Maul and the Rule of Two, I only have a passing knowledge of the events of Clone Wars, but is Maul still supposed to be a Sith entity or just his own thing post-Phantom Menace? I've only seen him referred to as "Maul" with this film at any rate.

26 minutes ago, Skummy said:
  Hide contents

I always felt there was the implication of Fett and Solo having a history - the obsession with which Fett tracks Solo in Empire Strikes Back struck me as having much more behind it than just wanting to get the bounty on his head. Especially as, in the remaster of A New Hope, Fett is seen lurking around the Millennium Falcon while Han Solo speaks with Jabba The Hutt - so it seems like he was keeping an eye on him even before, presumably, there was a bounty on his head.

Given that Solo basically kills Fett as well, it would give him a good well-rounded story, and give some symmetry to it, if he and Solo had been long-term rivals. I'm probably reading more into it than I should, and being influenced by half-remembered bits of expanded universe novels, but I always perceived an implicit acknowledgement of Han and Fett having a history.

Hell, I'd have cut Darth Maul from Solo and replaced him with Boba Fett, if they wanted a dramatic reveal of a known villain - especially as Darth Maul's appearance relies on viewers following the cartoons in order to understand how he's even still alive. Tying him into Han Solo's story felt wholly arbitrary. And it's in violation of the Rule of Two, if we're going to get really Star Wars nerdy about it.

The film definitely ended with Han and Chewie going to work for Jabba, but unless - or even if - they're planning a Han Solo series, that seems like such an odd point to end this story. Han's backstory, insofar as it matters, should be pretty intertwined with Jabba's, and their work together - so either he and Jabba hadn't been working together all that long at the start of A New Hope, or there's going to be a run of Solo movies that will only add a preposterously long period of time between Solo and A New Hope. As if the timeline doesn't already feel completely out of whack as it is.

I'm in two minds about the Boba Fett spin-off - for me, the Boba Fett character was damaged beyond repair by the backstory given to him in the prequels. There's no mystery or intrigue around him any more. If we still only had the original trilogy to work with, then I'd say it was a huge opportunity for a mad sci-fi western, but as it is, I have very little interest.

My reply is above your quote for some reason.