The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

1 hour ago, Owen said:

I've never watched the prequels, but I enjoyed The Last Jedi. I found myself struggling to follow along with the story in Rogue One, but that's probably just on me. I liked Force Awakens as well.

If you ever watch the prequels the most important thing to remember is that Obi Wan is pretty much wrong about everything.

Including that Anakin is the Chosen One. Especially that.

3 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

If you ever watch the prequels the most important thing to remember is that Obi Wan is pretty much wrong about everything.

Including that Anakin is the Chosen One. Especially that.

Actually, Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force, which he did. He destroyed an entire temple and order of Jedi and left the Jedi as two quiet hermits versus the two Sith. That seems like balance to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, SeanD McMahon said:

Actually, Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force, which he did. He destroyed an entire temple and order of Jedi and left the Jedi as two quiet hermits versus the two Sith. That seems like balance to me.

Except, as Luke said in TLJ, Jedi =/= Light Side. Ergo Sith =/= Dark Side. Balance of the force would mean both the Light and Dark Sides have equal influence in the galaxy, which was absolutely not the case as the Dark Side was fully in control.

Even if you want to go into a numbers game, then those two Sith ruled the entire galaxy and the hermits were hermits. Hardly balanced.

Putting it in chess terms, imagine if at the start of the board, one side has the traditional configuration but the other has 15 queens and one king. Is that balanced?

Also the Sith weren't the only Dark Jedi, or even Dark Side Force-Wielders (but to mention those would fall under EU/Legends territory so YMMV on those. Also in EU/Legends Lore, the Emperor's Imperial Guard are all Force Sensitive so also Dark Siders).

So, no, he really didn't.

Just because the two Jedi were slacker bastards living off the dole doesn't mean there weren't two of them.

2 minutes ago, SeanD McMahon said:

Just because the two Jedi were slacker bastards living off the dole doesn't mean there weren't two of them.

It also doesn't mean they were on equal terms. Balance implies equal terms.

Just now, SeanD McMahon said:

2 = 2.

lrn2math.

Except not only is it canon that were more than two Jedi who survived Order 66, but we also know that by the beginning of ANH there were at least three Dark Jedi.

On 28/07/2018 at 18:26, RPS said:

can someone please succinctly tell me why they disliked the last Jedi. I had two issues with the movie - some of the humor was very non Star Wars and it was a little bloated. 

but i can't see why someone would hate the movie. 

I really, really disliked it. I don't know if I'd say I hated it, as I can barely remember enough of it to say that. It felt incredibly bloated, I didn't really feel any reason to connect to most of the characters, and large swathes of it could have been cut without affecting the overall story one bit. Mostly, it just fell flat and felt oddly paced, with a lack of any real urgency. 

There also seemed to be a conscious effort to just scrap every dangling plot thread from the previous film, and to actively subvert every trope and convention of the series - while I'm not in with the "DISNEY IS RUINING STAR WARS" crowd, it did feel like a lot of the film felt like it made a conscious decision to cock a snook at long-term fans. It's such a minor thing, but killing Admiral Ackbar off-screen felt like a perfect example of that - killing off a minor, but recognisable and loved, character arbitrarily with no pay-off - seemed to sum up a lot of the movie to me.

On 28/07/2018 at 19:20, GoGo Yubari said:

On a post in /r/StarWars someone specifically said that the ending of Return of the Jedi meant absolutely nothing because thirty years later there's basically just another Empire and the heroes of the original trilogy have failed to stop it.

I don't know, I think "we beat the space Nazis, got complacent, and then a few decades later some new Nazis came along" is a more believable storyline than anything else in Star Wars...

Crap attempt at satire aside, I'd somewhat agree with this - but it's a problem of Force Awakens more than a problem of The Last Jedi.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really want Waititi's episode to be documentary style, with an intergalactic film crew following around this Mandalorian warrior, who is actually massively inept, but still manages to come out successful most of the time.

On a more serious note, I'd like to see something done with Old Man Fett, if they can use him in any way. One or two episodes with the Fett Man.