Hollywood Mogul Thread

MalaCloudy Black

Apparently, his hosts went out of business, thats why the site has been down, and why I haven't been able to pay for and play the game. Hopefully it will be sorted out in a day or so.

So, does anyone have any tips for a first time player - when I actually get started?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question.

Is there a way to add actors into the game once it has started?

For instance, say I get two years into the game, then shock-horror, I realise Sean Bean isn't in the talent file i'm using. Would I be able to add him to my current game, decide his stats etc?

Edited by timmayy

Ok.

In my first game, despite just winning an oscar for best picture (even though I had another nominated film that had higher test scores), I'm still hopelessly in debt. It was a film I accidently released straight to video too..........

Money is my only problem on HM. I keep loosing it. Only two films have made a profit so far, and I have released 6/7

Quick question.

Is there a way to add actors into the game once it has started?

For instance, say I get two years into the game, then shock-horror, I realise Sean Bean isn't in the talent file i'm using. Would I be able to add him to my current game, decide his stats etc?

Ok.

In my first game, despite just winning an oscar for best picture (even though I had another nominated film that had higher test scores), I'm still hopelessly in debt. It was a film I accidently released straight to video too..........

Money is my only problem on HM. I keep loosing it. Only two films have made a profit so far, and I have released 6/7

Here's a complete newbie question: how much should I budget. I lost 20 million with my only release - could it be I only had a budget of 10 million or so? It was a horror flick, btw.

Just in general, how much should I select for each?

It really depends on the type of film. For instance, usually for Action/Adventure & Suspense Thrillers I budget them fairly high - around 60 to 75 million $. Things like Dramas, Love Stories, etc. don't need high budgets so I usually give them about 35-45 million etc.

Just guess work this, but presuming the HM ratings are American (I have no idea personally):

All Audiences

Children

Teen-agers 13

Mature, 17

Mature, 18

Adult.

We have

U (All Audiences)

Children (We don't have one for children, but you could change the name to PG. Not the same I know, but it's a free slot)

Teen-agers 13 (could change to our 12A Rating)

Mature, 17 (Could pass as our 15)

Mature, 18 (Well, 18 obviously)

Adult (well, most Adult films get 18 ratings, but you could always create a 21 rating)

Not sure if that helped.

OK, My question. When people say (like Chemical Inbalance) they have a budget of $75M, is that for everything - Physical Costs, stunts, effects, advertising, casting, the works, or is that just for production, production/casting, what?

What i'm basically saying is the for the production values (and if so, how do you divide that among stuns, physical costs etc), or is it for 'the works'?

cheers for the help guys.

On a sidenote, what a bastard this game is sometimes. When I was doing my diary, I couldn't make a good film at all, everything bombed. Now, in my new non-diary game, i've made 3 billion profit and don't think I could make a bad film if I tried.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

My big problem now seems to be timing. I'll have 3/4 films ready to go at once, then nothing for months. Plus, I still needs to better work on budgets on films, but in my new game, nothings cost me much money yet, and I have have some huge sucesses (movies based on Halo, two on Justice League of America, two random action adventure movies in particular, and a low-budget horror movie that did average in the states, but made a killing abroad).

I generaly try and release films in the summer months, so if a film gets finished in say Sept 04, then i'll put the release date as July 2005. That usually helps me always have something in production.

On a sidenote I have the top 9 highest grossing films ever (Including about 5 Final Fantasy films). The best being Final Fantasy: Sephiroth's Return (FF7 Sequel) which made a total of around $4 billion.

Anyone else have some great successes?