Madden NFL 2005

THIR13EN²

Now I've looked all over the place for some kind of decent review on both Madden NFL 2005 & ESPN 2k5. I'd like to hear from the people who have played both games, or either one that could tell me which one is better, and that could give me a reason why I should by it. I've been a fan of Madden, not a big fan, but I enjoy how good the gameplay is, on the other hand it seems as though ESPN has better graphics...

Guest Bluesman

If you've played Madden 2004, you've pretty much played 2005. Aside from the hit stick and updated rosters, there really isn't anything worth getting the newest version of the game. My friend went out and bought it the day it came out and has regretted it ever since. I personally have ESPN and enjoy it more than Madden. So does my friend.

If nothing else rent both of them and try them out.

The thing with ESPN is I hate being able to run for 250+ yards every game, plus rookies never get better. Plus with Madden you can take your NCAA class and draft them in Madden. You can find some draft classes online that have real players, 2005 draft class has baby Vick and Mike Williams :D .

The thing with ESPN is I hate being able to run for 250+ yards every game, plus rookies never get better. Plus with Madden you can take your NCAA class and draft them in Madden. You can find some draft classes online that have real players, 2005 draft class has baby Vick and Mike Williams  .

Guest Bluesman

Isn't baby Vick going to be known as "bitch Vick" in jail?

You can edit rookies in ESPN, to get Williams and Vick (if he isn't in jail).

As for the rushing, all you have to do is adjust the sliders. My only complaint is that interceptions still are far too frequent considering I have the slider all the way down.

Anyway, in terms of rushing, it's the opposite with Madden (well, atleast for me).

Same here.

But I love the progression of players on Madden. It's so great. On ESPN, players only progress after every pre-season it seems like, and it's only a little bit. On Madden, I've had guys go from 65, to 81, to 73 all in one season. Brilliant.

Oh, and Trung Canidate owns all in that game. ^_^

Yeah you can edit the rookies in ESPN but some times they come way too good(90's, 100s!) with Madden you can have them in NCAA, they stay in that game 3/4 years then import them into Madden, much closer in stats then putting them in your self on ESPN. The progession on Madden happens every 4 games :) .

Edited by joker

Am I the only person who likes both games equally?

No, you're not.

Both games are quite good, but one thing makes me choose Madden over ESPN. ESPN feels like a football game, which is great...but Madden feels more like a strategy game now. It's not just call a pass play and jetpack whichever receiver's got single coverage. Now you've got to make sure your formation is going to both fend off the rush as well as get an open man. In short form: the defensive strategies are much improved, and make the overall gameplay feel so much more intense from beginning to end.

Agreed with Mid...The.

I have Madden but one thing people didn't mention about the Franchise Mode is the new Storyline Central. It's a lot more like a simulation in that you'll have to deal with 2nd string players bitching about not being on the 1st string lineup.

They'll talk to the media and eventually their morale will be really low. If it's one of your key players, watch out because if they leave your team, your team prestige drops which affects how people view your team and in turn less people will watch your games.

Also, to show the progression of players:

I'm playing as the Vikings and I created Brock Lesnar with 40's and 50's in stats (except for speed).

In 5 seasons he's now in the 70's and is starting to complain as to why he's not on the 1st string.

Madden sucks because its the same as last year, which also sucked in comparison to ESPN.

Why you wouldn't want a football game that feels like a football game, I don't know. Madden's only difference, from my terrible experiences of having to play it, are the soundtrack(saving grace of the game thanks to Green Day) the hit stick(Maxium Tackling is better) and that annoying storyline central which gets repetitive after a few weeks of your season.

Like strategy? Weekly Preparation is ESPN's way of helping, or hurting based on the set of activities you have them do for practice during the week. This includes meetings, rehabbing injuries, lots of different kinds of work outs, team drills, position drills, scrimmage and full practice with different options for pads.

Neglect wide out at practice? They get worse because of it.

Trying to keep your whole team happy and productive > trying to keep a single player happy.

ESPN's offseason mode is the best in any football game, ever. Contract neogotiations are just as difficult as they are in real life, with the option of removing the salary cap if thats too hard for some. Free Agency, quick and easy like last year and this time Sportscenter recaps retirements, offseason trades and free agency signings.

The real highlight? The draft. Mel Kiper Jr. gives his draft analysis, tells you about first rounders, mid rounders and sleepers. Combine works just as good as ever and oh yeah, the rookies HAVE FACES and 90% of their names are called, unlike last year where only about 30% were.

Factor in improved gameplay(too easy? Up the difficulty!), especially the running game with the wonderful thumbstick moves, better graphics(especially on XBox) and you have a better game than the same crap Madden trots out each year.

Guest Bluesman

Go to ESPN.com (in the game), go to the Edit Rookies, and then hit 'x' over the rookie you want to edit. I'm pretty sure (not certain) you can edit appearance, but I know you can change their height, weight, etc.

Edited by Bluesman

The thing with ESPN is I hate being able to run for 250+ yards every game,

But from what I understand (I've yet to play Madden) it's easy as hell to pass like 500+ yards a game. (That might be exaggerated? but I do believe that's around the number many gave...can't really remember though). A lot of reviews..and people have said when it comes to the passing game its an 'NFL Blitz type game'.

Madden 2004 was a passer's dream, even on All-Pro and All-Madden. Yoink that difficulty up there this year, and watch the DBs start snatching those same passes.

Maxx, while I did dig the idea of preperation each week, I prefer having more strategy on-field than off-field. With Madden, the controls feel much more fluid, whereas on ESPN, I feel like I'm having to sit and pray that the play I called works.

And btw, you're wrong wrong toally f'n wrong. It's the Chevelle and Earshot songs that make that soundtrack great :)

Madden 2004, you could bomb it every play, but if you play this years on all pro or all madden you can't do that at all. I also like that you have to stick to the running game for it to work, not just pick a play and run like ESPN. Madden is much more realistic. And every song on the soundtrack blows, thats why you can add your own :D .