The New Kit Thread

So they've released the alternative Newcastle shirt. It's sold at cost price and it's purpose is to give the fans an option to wear the colours without supporting Wonga!

CLBfZ3TWoAEqC1l.png

It's actually quite nice!

• Admin

Manchester United's new kit for women

Adidas has defended the design of Manchester United’s new women’s shirt after it was branded sexist by fans.

The German sportswear giant, which unveiled the first United kit of its £750m deal with the Old Trafford club last week, was criticised on social media for the design of the women’s shirt, which has a much lower neckline than the men’s version.

One United fan, @MUnitedGirl, posted on Twitter: “Seriously Adidas? Why is the V-neck so low compared with the men’s one? Some of us don’t like to show cleavage. I call that discrimination. Nike never did that.”

Responding to the criticism, Adidas said it took the thoughts of fans into account before producing the kit. “Adidas provides an adult shirt which is a replica of what the players wear,” a spokesperson said.

“Based on research from fans, we also offer a women’s shirt as part of our lifestyle range of products. This range has a slightly different design and fit to give fans a choice.”

There were those who did not find the design of the new shirt offensive. Sonal Raja said: “Wow, they actually released a women’s shirt this year! About time tbh... It’s cute u know. I like it.”

Nike did not produce a women’s version of the United shirt last season. Adidas pointed out that it makes women’s kits for Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and all of its other top European clubs.

I'm quite curious now about whether 'women's' kits are sold as replica shirts or just as a fashion thing, since having seen Newcastle's women's team they look like they just wear baggier men's kit rather the ones the club shop sells.

The Newcastle female ones aren't bad. I was looking at them as an silly present for my girlfriend not so long ago and they're just like the male ones, but more fitted to a woman's shape. 

adidas Manchester United Home Shirt 2015 2016adidas Manchester United Home Shirt 2015 2016 Ladies

Puma Newcastle United Home Shirt 2015 2016Puma Newcastle United Home Shirt 2015 2016 Ladies

For comparison sake. 

I'm normally first to criticise the PC brigade but that's pretty awful by any standard.

Edited by TCO

The Nike ones do not have as deep a V for women as the Adidas ones do. But I honestly don't see the issue here. Women buy those types of shirt constantly. 

• Like 1

They're just a different version of the normal replica kits with Chelsea. Stokerina has one from a few years back...although she prefers her goalkeeper top (which doesn't come in women's cuts), simply because it has purple trim. :shifty:

Nonetheless there's usually a fair amount of rather unimaginative women's 'fashion' wear on sale in the club shop. Basically, everything is pink and grey.

The whole point of football shirts is that they look oversized, baggy and unfathomably sexy on your girlfriend.

• Like 2