Star Trek TV

Your Mom

Rewatching early Star Trek: Voyager.

Nelix: Doctor... Are you programmed to sing?

*Doctor gives him a dirty look*

On 09/01/2019 at 11:25, Toe said:

So on top of Discovery and the new Picard show (which will be set after the destruction of Romulus), CBS has announced an animated series called "Lower Decks".

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-trek-animated-series-announced

I hate that title.  Its one of the more touching episodes of TNG and using that name for an animated comedy is terrible

So... who saw episode one of season two? And what did you think?

I really enjoyed it. The change in tone is welcome, with Pike bringing the complete opposite energy to Lorca. This episode was way stronger then the beginning of season one, and I think that episode ("The Vulcan Hello") kind of turned off some fans. 

I'm excited to see where this season goes. My only complaint with the episode was that scene with the landers... but it was still fun. It just felt superfluous. I guess they just felt they needed a big action scene in the middle? I dunno. 

45 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I am going to watch it this weekend. I liked the moody over-seriousness of Discovery. Will I be a little disappointed?

No.

Episode 2 of Season 2 of the Orville is great. It's a sort of a sequel to the transgendered baby episode in season 1 and deals with compulsory behaviour (and given it's Seth McFarlane it's not super surprising what the compulsion is). 

DIscovery I will probably watch tonight.

Both episodes of season two have been amazing.

I love the implication that they're going to go off and do random one off star trek stuff, but actually it's all part of a bigger plan. Best of both worlds (heh) init.

Also I love how many women there are. There's a real gender equality in the crew and the extras and I'm 100% on board for it.

4 hours ago, K said:

Both episodes of season two have been amazing.

Reveal hidden contents

Also I love how many women there are. There's a real gender equality in the crew and the extras and I'm 100% on board for it.

Spoiler

I like that they said "General Order 1" and not "The Prime Directive". Nice little old school touch there. 

On 03/02/2019 at 05:46, Pooker said:

Finally finished my watch through of Deep Space Nine. Those last 10 episodes are probably the best Star Trek I've ever seen. Loved every second of it.

I'm rewatching along with a review podcast, The Greatest Generation, and they're just about to get to the start of season four, and I'm not sure I can go as slowly as they do from now on, because Season 4 is where it really starts to kick off.

Still really enjoying Discovery. I've also finally got my hands on decent versions of the Short Treks. (They're not available at all outside of North America :( ) I've watched three, really liked them. I have to wonder if

The decision to set one of the episodes a thousand years in the future, marking the furthest point in the future we've ever seen in the Trek universe, was in response to all the people who complained about the last three iterations of Star Trek all staying in "the past".

Despite hearing some bad things about it, I started to watch Enterprise last night. It's a bit odd and, honestly, I don't get why they felt the need to do a sequel. But it's kinda cool to see the beginnings, I guess? Anyway, I'm enjoying it through the first three episodes so far.

2 hours ago, Pooker said:

Despite hearing some bad things about it, I started to watch Enterprise last night. It's a bit odd and, honestly, I don't get why they felt the need to do a sequel. But it's kinda cool to see the beginnings, I guess? Anyway, I'm enjoying it through the first three episodes so far.

Enterprise is really good. One of the seasons, three or four, is honestly some of the best trek there is.

I'm going to warn you now. The last episode of season four is the *worst* star Trek has ever been. The episode before that serves as a perfectly good season finale

I highly, highly recommend you watch up to and including the second-last episode, then stop for a while. Let that experience sit in your memory as Enterprise, then a couple weeks later come back and watch the finale. Treat it as bonus footage or something.

It really does a disservice to everything that Enterprise achieved.

I honestly can't prepare you enough for how bad it is.

On 17/02/2019 at 16:01, hugobomb said:

Season 2 of Discovery has been so fucking good so far. 

I agree. Episode 4 was the weakest episode so far, but it set up episode 5. And that episode was great - especially when...

Spoiler

...they found Hugh in the network. And when it looked like they were going to have to leave him? I got a bit chocked up.