Star Trek TV

Your Mom

10 hours ago, Colly said:

Got it. I enjoy it because I'm stupid.

9 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Not just you.

I can't say why you like it. There's a lot of good parts of the show and it's entirely possible for some people to enjoy something while still seeing flaws in it, and it's possible for some people to not really see or want to see flaws in something they enjoy. And if you like it, that's great, and it doesn't really matter why and I won't say you're stupid for enjoying it. But there are definitely people who the show panders to, who don't realize it's pandering to them, and don't critically consider what they're watching.

A wise man once said, of marketing, "if what they're giving you is an empty vessel, and it is marketing, then they must consider you to be an empty vessel, and you should just be aware of that". The point of Star Trek is to draw eyes and sell products via the commercials and tie ins, and if the way they decide to do that is a show that insults your intelligence then they don't consider themselves to have an intelligent audience.

Again, it's possible to enjoy something by ignoring elements about it you don't like. But that doesn't mean those elements aren't there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, K said:

Nog had probably the most complete story arc in all of star trek, and he was great in it. 

Finally got around to watching the DS9 documentary, What We Left Behind, and thats the general consensus about Nog

Also, man, the remastered HD footage that this includes looks SO damn good

• 2 weeks later...

New trailers for Picard and Disco3 are out and my work computers don't have speakers, I need you guys to tell me what to think of them.

On 06/10/2019 at 05:52, SeanDMan said:

New trailers for Picard and Disco3 are out and my work computers don't have speakers, I need you guys to tell me what to think of them.

The Discovery one was OK - not sure if it's going to convince anyone who didn't like the first two seasons to give the new one a shot.

The Picard trailer was fucking awesome. Watch it now.

I watched them both last night. Neither of them made me want to watch the respective shows but it did make me want to watch a spin off where Riker is a chef and makes various alien dishes for familiar guests.

1 hour ago, SeanDMan said:

it did make me want to watch a spin off where Riker is a chef and makes various alien dishes for familiar guests.

Number One Kitchen :shifty: 

Just started my yearly re-watch of DS9

Oh yeah, season one can be a bit rough. I enjoy Encounter At Far Point, The Battle, When The Bough Breaks, Heart Of Glory, and The Neutral Zone. The rest is rather poor (compared to the rest of the series). Code Of Honor may be the worst episode of Star Trek ever made.

William Shatner's Chaos On The Bridge goes over the trouble behind the scenes of the first few seasons.

The first series of TNG really seems like TOS v1.5 at times. Thankfully Keith (I think) tipped me off to the Greatest Generation podcast (amusing talk-throughs and reviews of TNG episodes) which got me through the bleak times.

Series 2 is very hit and miss too. Three gets better and Four better still.

Star Trek generally has shitty early seasons. Discovery was a welcome change in that regard in the sense that it seemed to have a lot of pieces and ideas functioning relatively early.

Yeah, that is one big thing that made me like Discovery, it wasn't weird or anything like earlier Star Trek seasons. TOS gets a pass, TNG was like TOS-lite with some truly awful first season episodes, and even DS9 had some strange shit early on while it tried to find it's feet. 

• 1 month later...