Pens and Papers

KONGO

The first set contains an adventure for early level players, and I am just taking that and modifying it a little. This adventure will essentially be their introduction to each other (in character) and to the game.

I'm using the Dragon Age system because I'm more familiar with the setting then D&D, and I've heard that the system is easy to learn for new players and most of my players have very little experience playing a RPG.

There's a guy at my working running an off the wall, everyone does whatever they want and creativity is welcome game of Pathfinder that I am looking to get into.

When we played D&D with one of the guys last year, he was rigid with the rules and while he created a decent scenario it was little fun. We can spend entire breaks talking about this guy's Pathfinder game.. he has an armoured dog with a balista on its back for christ sakes! I'm going to buy a class sheet for a Battle Chef character and make my race something like goblin/knoll and join up with their crew next time they play.

The best part about their games is the simple fact that it's structured so people can drop out and come back in at random.

Yesterday my players learned a valuable lesson: Don't split the party.

The two melee types went in the front door and alerted the gang (about 7-8 people) while the healer and the mage were sneaking around back and waiting for things to kick off before joining the fray. Rather than back away, the cavalier struck out at a person...and then immediately put to sleep by the sorcerer (psh! Making a will save). The monk decided that 1 v 8 was pretty bad odds and ran off, found the cleric/arcanist and ran off to get help. They get two cops that they befriended and come back and fight in what was a rather challenging fight.

They go to the back, find the cavalier tied to a chair and about to be coup de grace'd...everyone gets one surprise round action, but the bastard is still standing. Goes to for the coup, which thankfully provokes an Attack of Opportunity...the monk lands an attack, but doesn't do enough damage. The cleric misses. At this point, the only other person in range, the cop monk, wouldn;t have had enough damage to put the guy out. So I was nice and allowed the arcanist to get an AoO (because, really, I didn't want to kill a player in the 3rd session)...doesn't kill him, but the cop still has a roll...it lands! And it knocks him the fuck out!

Needless to say, they learned to never split the group (and this is the SECOND time that this has happened. The first time the Cav and monk were smart enough to run away), and I warned them that I won't be so kind in the future.

Oh. Yeah. Toe. Lesson two.

Don't split the fucking party!

A different post now. Every year I paint a model of a dragon for a relative. This year will be a kind of... I dunno... regal (?) Dragon.

I'll take a pic of it when I'm done.

Last year was the Dragon from the pathfinder main book. Model was well done, even stood on the ruins in the pic. Was fun to paint.

I just started 3 hours ago. Hope to finish by around 7 hours. If it looks good I'll show it here.

Even as a DM. It's just not fun because, and this is fundamentally important... all players are basically retarded and will speak out if they aren't there. You know, when you want to involve just one person? Flesh them out or give them a nice solo experience? Expect a lot of "don't do that!" Or "tell him this!"

In fact, science proved the further separated a group is, the more likened to a bag of rusty nails they become.

True fact.

• Like 1

Every year I paint a model of a dragon for a relative. This year will be a kind of... I dunno... regal (?) Dragon.

I'll take a pic of it when I'm done.

Last year was the Dragon from the pathfinder main book. Model was well done, even stood on the ruins in the pic. Was fun to paint.

I just started 3 hours ago. Hope to finish by around 7 hours. If it looks good I'll show it here.

1897706_10155037425605347_64311008476096

10868057_10155037423445347_8726320435788

To be honest it's hard to capture how well the wings shine with a nifty glow. May use this polish on "magic" swords and the like.

• Like 1

Thanks toe! I do one a year as a present. But man I've got about 600 models that need paint. 2 different kickstarter. Lucky for me EWB'S best Wifey loves to paint too so we will have painting dates.

Was actually thinking of making a class for this stuff at my buddies comic shop. Teach kids to paint. I think Reaper hosts that stuff but meh, no response if they still do or not.

First game session complete. I had a ton of fun, and the players said they really enjoyed it too.

I had them start at a Baron's courtyard, getting a quest from the Baron's aide. They spent a lot longer there then I thought they would, since this was just the excuse to get them to travel to where I wanted them to go.

They got to a farm house, fought some wolves (with the Mage kicking ass while her friends flailed about), and did a lot of things I didn't expect.

Then, after finding a wounded elf, they went to a village to get help, the players ended up forcing me to improv an entire scene in a tavern which included the bar's regulars and a very racist bar keep.

We got about halfway through my first adventure, and I was pleased to see them embrace the setting and game system. The player using the Mage, who is regularly the most shy, did the most RPing and really took charge, which was awesome to see.

I can't wait to play again. I had more fun DMing then I've ever had playing.

Edited by Toe
  • Like 2

"You have to start asking yourself 'What would Jesus do?'"

"You have to ask yourself 'What would Jesus do if he had a shotgun'"

"...he'd at least pistol whip the guy first."

I play with the best/worst people

(This happened shortly after meeting a saint for the first time and shooting his face off)

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the makeup of the party and the gear and spells they have onhand. Try it out, and if it turns out to be a slaughter on the part of the monsters, have some good old `divine intervention' happen.

Edited by GhostMachine