Pens and Papers

KONGO

21 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

They said they would try and make me a character that wasn't too hard to understand. I like the idea of teaming up and being goofy. Have to make sure I'm not being too goofy though :P 

Just channel your inner wrestling fan. Cut a promo on the bad guys! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My advice, ask the players what kind of character would fit well with the current party dynamics. And don't be afraid to ask for help with your build. Your teammates knowing what your character can do makes tactics a lot easier to work out.

EDIT- Also, out of curiosity, what system?

Edited by OctoberRavenO

5 minutes ago, OctoberRavenO said:

My advice, ask the players what kind of character would fit well with the current party dynamics. And don't be afraid to ask for help with your build. Your teammates knowing what your character can do makes tactics a lot easier to work out.

EDIT- Also, out of curiosity, what system?

It's called Pathfinder. I guess it's like wizards and knights and stuff. Sounds like it could be fun

Just now, The Chiksrara Special said:

It's called Pathfinder. I guess it's like wizards and knights and stuff. Sounds like it could be fun

Ooh. Yeah, good system.

Have fun!

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

One of my favorites. There's so much you can do with it.

Let us know what you thought!

I've been playing Tomb of Annihilation with some friends for a while now. My first character got one-shot by a giant snake on our second session, and my second character has managed to survive since then. He's accidentally a bit fire-happy, and has so far accidentally burned two plot points (and ate the bodies to cover up the evidence).

Turns out I quite like D&D!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Don't worry about the repeated deaths, Tomb of Annihilation is meant to be a bit of a meat grinder. I think I'm going to just stay and gamble on the dinosaur races, safer that way :shifty: 

I mean, they don't call it the Tomb of A Jolly Little Romp That Ends With Everyone Getting A Kitten(tm)

EDIT: (...So using that for the future)

Edited by OctoberRavenO
  • Like 2

I've been trying to restart my DnD group, but the problem is I'm the only one willing to DM. 

Is Tomb Of Annihilation any good? I tried running the Out Of The Abyss campaign, but the Underdark setting wasn't too appealing. 

Tomb of Annihilation is a hell of a meat grinder, but I really enjoyed the setting. I'm in the weird spot of consistently DMing a single group, but my other DM who I am usually a player for just keeps jumping around. We've started Curse of Strahd 4 times with different groups, Tomb twice, and the Starter Set a couple times too.

I'm actually talking with my current group about starting a podcast/YouTube series based around a homebrew world I've been working on for a while. This particular game is only my 2nd time being DM, and the first time it was not great. I'm running them through Lost Mines of Phandelver[the starter set] because our most experienced player besides me has been playing just under a year now. I have 2 completely new players[one of whom has watched Critical Role, so has a basic grasp], my GF who is the aforementioned player with a years experience, and my mom, who hasn't played D&D in 35 years, when she was playing 1st edition. It's been crazy fun

I'm currently playing through Lost Mines with two different groups and been interesting to see how the groups have tackled it differently. One of them is my friends first experience of DMing so she kept it simple and is a smaller party than normally would be running with just two of us. Combat in that one has been a bit tricky for us but I'm playing a warlock who due to his charisma has been able to try and talk and trick our way out of a lot of situations, that party have been very helpful and befriended a lot of the town, talking to the DM I think she's looking at focussing the campaign on the local area due to our increased standing with a bit of political intrigue and a more social adventure than the norm.

The other one is a larger group she runs for her sister and a few friends. My character in that one is a goblin (goliath victim of a polymorph spell) barbarian with about 4 intelligence which I'm able to use to avoid thinking a bit meta and offering too much in the way of planning. This one has taken a more combat heavy tone.  That's mainly due to the influence one player who is very much in the "see things, hit it" bracket of player and plays it as a game rather than the story telling approach - room for that but think the DM is struggling a bit more to keep everyone interested in that one but there have been some good sessions. I'm dreading the final part of the adventure because the party have struggled to look good in front of the town and haven't done a lot in the way of finding the various subquests around, the aforementioned player hearing about a pub as the hideout for the redbrands and going in greatsword in hand to threaten the landlord and patrons of the wrong pub (and rolling terribly on his intimidation) has made the party only slightly more popular than the redbrands are. Interested to see how this works out now.

6 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm excited to move at the end of next month...because it means I'll be able to put together my Starfinder campaign and run that :D

I hadn't heard of that before. Just looked it up... and it looks really cool. And it's got rules for starship combat!

12 minutes ago, Toe said:

I hadn't heard of that before. Just looked it up... and it looks really cool. And it's got rules for starship combat!

And for creating your own monsters. And your own ships. And the monster manual adds like 20+ races that you can play.

It's really cool. I've only played a few sessions, but I like the system a lot. 

9 hours ago, Toe said:

Anyone thought of setting up a EWB game through Roll20? Just a thought...

I would be down as hell. I've got a Tiefling Warlock I've been dying to play

As for Starfinder, I've only played a session or two in the system, but it's tons of fun. Played a 3 foot tall genetically modified mouse with a computer in his brain that let him hack things from a distance. And that's just core rulebook stuff haha

Edited by thepunkrockicon

Just realized I never told you guys how my game went. I thought it was pretty fun. I was a fighter but like I rolled the dice very badly like all the time so I was the worst fighter you could imagine. We kind of turned it into a thing and everyone played into it so they made me feel like I didn't suck too bad :P 

• Like 2