Pens and Papers

KONGO

So I have a weird question: Is anyone available/interested in playing a Dungeon crawling one shot in D&D 5e on March 17th around 12 pm PST? I've recently started trying to run games professionally and I have my first client, but he's the only one that's signed up for a one shot that's intended for 4 players. I would really rather not have to run 3 NPC's for my first paid game, and I thought maybe some of you guys would be interested in playing. If you are, shoot me a message, and I can send you the session link so you can get the info. It's being run through startplaying.games and all the info is on there, but if you sign up through the site, it's a $10 charge. I'm willing to shoot you the discord call link for free just so I can run the game, so don't sign up through the site unless you wanna pay me money to run D&D for you.

I like doing an encounter with a shady individual who got some magic items that just "fell of the back of the carriage". They'd be low level stuff like minor potions of healing, and maybe one big item that has a chance to be fake. 

Another is a travelling food stand selling something that's really weird and giving the players a chance to RP it. Bonus points if your party thinks its cover for a Hag.

On 16/02/2021 at 12:32, Ruki Returns said:

I dunno if I just prefer DMing to playing, or if I just have much higher standards for DMs now. I played my first session of Rime of thr Frost Maiden last night and it was fine. But I just want my DM to a) know the rules b) know how to use the tools we're using. 

He was making ruling calls that are most definitely in the book (opposed grapple check, unarmed damage), we're using the official modules from roll20, but not using any tokens and using custom maps that just feel lifeless and flat. Oh, and a DMPC, which I feel are just incredibly tacky. 

On 28/02/2021 at 13:20, Ruki Returns said:

Follow up: He owns the module on Roll20, but we used a blank white battleboard when maps ARE available. He's using inconsistent rules when it comes to disengage. We don't even have proper tokens assigned. The DMPC is still a thing (which benefited from the disengage). He wanted to punish a player for using 'Create Bonfire' as we were using it to make a fire, and he didn't like that and said if he keeps doing it he's going to take psychic damage. He said he had stuff prepared, but it totally seemed like he was not. Like.... why is it so hard to have a DM who just knows the rules? I want to clone myself so my DM could be me.

The whole time I was thinking "I should just run this campaign instead." And I'm considering dropping it and running ANOTHER game. 

Yeah. I dropped it.

Sunday was the 3rd session. It felt increasingly more that I was a passenger to a story, not a character in one. Many actions decided for us, telling us we rest of many days (when we don't want to), any attempt to RP with an NPC shut down, the DMPC getting a benefit over the PCs, DRAWING AWFUL MAPS WHEN THE MAPS ARE AVAILABLE TO YOU DAN, and his voice for an excited dog sounded more like a horny dog mid orgasm. 

I've never played in a West Marches campaign, but my understanding is that it's a campaign driven by the players as opposed to the DM. Matt Colville has a video on it that makes it sound super interesting, and I've wanted to five it a try for a while. Basically the idea is that the DM lays out the immediate area and some available places to explore/quests to fulfill, and the players get together into groups and decide which one they're going after. So instead of the DM prepping an adventure, they prep quest hooks and then only prep the actual quests that the players decide to follow

• 1 month later...

TPK'd some motherfuckers tonight, because they decided to stand and fight instead of running (when they KNEW they were outmatched). They got cocky with the necklace of fireballs doing some big damage. 

• Haha 1

On 17/03/2021 at 17:11, Ruki Returns said:

I've heard the name Westmarches, but all I know about it is that it has like... a million players. What is it?

On 17/03/2021 at 19:35, thepunkrockicon said:

I've never played in a West Marches campaign, but my understanding is that it's a campaign driven by the players as opposed to the DM. Matt Colville has a video on it that makes it sound super interesting, and I've wanted to five it a try for a while. Basically the idea is that the DM lays out the immediate area and some available places to explore/quests to fulfill, and the players get together into groups and decide which one they're going after. So instead of the DM prepping an adventure, they prep quest hooks and then only prep the actual quests that the players decide to follow

Yeah, sorry for the delay on this. I think our game is sort of like what punkrock laid out, but it is still very DM focused.

It was the best way to make it work for our community. There are several DMs and we have roughly 50 players. When a DM can run a game, they open the sign-ups and take a group of the players. The sessions pretty much always end up back in the main city and wrap up fairly neatly (with some threads or stuff to build future sessions) so that any combination of players can do the next session and everyone is back in the city.

I actually think it could work well here. If we set up a discord, everyone had characters and when a DM wanted to run a session, they post sign-ups and the available players head out for a game.

15 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Yeah, sorry for the delay on this. I think our game is sort of like what punkrock laid out, but it is still very DM focused.

It was the best way to make it work for our community. There are several DMs and we have roughly 50 players. When a DM can run a game, they open the sign-ups and take a group of the players. The sessions pretty much always end up back in the main city and wrap up fairly neatly (with some threads or stuff to build future sessions) so that any combination of players can do the next session and everyone is back in the city.

I actually think it could work well here. If we set up a discord, everyone had characters and when a DM wanted to run a session, they post sign-ups and the available players head out for a game.

I would 100% be on board for something like this. I'm already running a game on Twitch, so I have a little experience handling a Discord for stuff like this, although it's only one group, to be fair.

On 29/08/2016 at 10:57, Toe said:

My group is now running through Out Of The Abyss. I was finding it hard to plan out my own campaign, and going with one of Wizard's campaign books has helped quite a bit. They still require some planning and preparation, but the setting is really fun.

I'm actually running that right now! That's what caused the TPK on Sunday!

(In case y'all couldn't tell. I'm bored and going through some old posts in here)

• Like 2