Pens and Papers

KONGO

1 minute ago, Toe said:

I was on vacation and away from my computer when you did this - how did it go? 

Incredible. We raised more than $6,600 for various charities. Additionally, Filly got about 2.7K views on his stream, which for someone trying to make a living in D&D streaming, I'm so happy for him.

Storyline wise, it was amazing. We kicked off the assault with a distraction attempt so that the next two sessions could get in and free prisoners.

I ran Session #3. They stormed a gate but were attacked by skeletons and a revenant on a warhorse skeleton. They made it in. After solving a puzzle to open the prisoner room, they were met by a Red Wizard who took one of the NPC leaders hostage, leaving a wraith to kill as many prisoners and players as possible, while also raising some specters in the process. They survived and made it out.

In the session I played in (#6), we had to go retrieve explosives that had been stolen so we could blow up a part of the wall. We fought off some guards, a captain and a minotaur skeleton and returned, only to get hit by a Flaming Skull who threw a fireball at us. I was the only one in our group of 4 not to go down and I had 3HP left. I fed a healing potion to an ally, who then healed the other two. We destroyed the skull, then the wall and ran off.

The three sessions were all pretty epic. They fought a bunch of red wizards, a Glazebru, a Death Knight, a Hellhound and a bunch of other stuff. It was all incredible. Only one character died, but they were revived by a cleric using Matt Mercer's resurrection rules.

• Like 2

You're all smart and attractive.... how the fuck do you get map grids on Roll20 lined up just right?\

I swear, it's impossible. I download a map from D&D Beyond, upload it, align to grid, and I go around trying to get it just right... but every time I get the squares just perfect where I'm looking, it's messed up elsewhere. No amount of re-sizing fixes it. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

You're all smart and attractive.... how the fuck do you get map grids on Roll20 lined up just right?\

I swear, it's impossible. I download a map from D&D Beyond, upload it, align to grid, and I go around trying to get it just right... but every time I get the squares just perfect where I'm looking, it's messed up elsewhere. No amount of re-sizing fixes it. 

I'm right there with you. I've never been able to get a hang of Roll20 as a DM.

16 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

https://wiki.roll20.net/Aligning_Maps

5 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I've done that, doesn't always work (for me anyways). I managed to get it to work on one of the smaller maps for Lost Mines, but not on bigger maps. I think I am jut gonna have to accept it's not going to be perfect.

I've also been flirting with the idea of trying Foundry VTT, just because of some of the cool stuff you can do on it. 

42 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

I've done that, doesn't always work (for me anyways). I managed to get it to work on one of the smaller maps for Lost Mines, but not on bigger maps. I think I am jut gonna have to accept it's not going to be perfect.

I've also been flirting with the idea of trying Foundry VTT, just because of some of the cool stuff you can do on it. 

I really love Foundry. 

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I really love Foundry. 

What do you like about it? Easy to use? I'm worried because I mostly like running official content, and I think I would have to bring over the maps and make every token/place them, correct?

1 minute ago, Ruki Returns said:

What do you like about it? Easy to use? I'm worried because I mostly like running official content, and I think I would have to bring over the maps and make every token/place them, correct?

The interface is much better than Roll20, in my opinion. Yes, you'd have to transfer everything but there is a converter to take your Roll20 stuff and upload it into Foundry. I was able to do that with my friend's Strahd official Roll20 campaign.

Let me know if you want to play around with Foundry and I can either give you my login or give you mod powers in a custom game.

23 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

The interface is much better than Roll20, in my opinion. Yes, you'd have to transfer everything but there is a converter to take your Roll20 stuff and upload it into Foundry. I was able to do that with my friend's Strahd official Roll20 campaign.

Let me know if you want to play around with Foundry and I can either give you my login or give you mod powers in a custom game.

Would the mod powers allow me to add modules and stuff?  Because that would be awesome! A way to test it before I commit to it. 

My players are speed-runners, holy shit. 

Three giant strongholds, all three times they manage to find the quickest route to the main baddy. But they stuck around in the main hall too long and had visitors. Twice. At the end, they were stuck in a room (hidden) with about 5 fire giants, while they were clinging to life. 

• 2 weeks later...

Would folks here be interested in one of the following:

• a Westmarches game (a few of us who would want to DM would open sign-ups when we are available to run a game and folks would sign their characters up to play)
  • or a full play-by-post style, run through a discord

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Would folks here be interested in one of the following:

• a Westmarches game (a few of us who would want to DM would open sign-ups when we are available to run a game and folks would sign their characters up to play)
  • or a full play-by-post style, run through a discord

I've never been into pbp. But if interest stays, I could give it a go.

What is Westmarches?

2 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

I've never been into pbp. But if interest stays, I could give it a go.

What is Westmarches?

Pretty much as I explained above. There are multiple DMs. When one of them can run a game, they post a sign up and take a group on an adventure. So you end up playing with different people rather than one standard party. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thepunkrockicon said:

I've been thinking of running a West Marches game for a while, but I heard a different explanation for it, so maybe I'm thinking of a different style of game. What would play by post entail?

We would set up a discord and get some dice bots in there. We then play D&D but all through text. Here is an example.

image.png

1 hour ago, Krabby said:

I might take a bit to learn something past e3.5, but I'd consider a pbp

I was literally just talking about relearning 3.5, since I started with a homebrew version of it. I've only ever DM'd in 5e, but I have a lot of good memories from playing 3.5. My partner recommended maybe picking up Pathfinder, but I don't have any idea how Pathfinder operates. Basically, what I'm saying is I need more D&D in my life