MTV VMAs

tristy

Fuse isn't much better.

Neither is radio for that matter.  Radio, much like pro wrestling has been ruined by guys who think they know what the people want.  The talented performers are forced to tone down their style to not overshadow the station itself or offend any listeners.  Corporate tell the Program Directors what they have to play even though they have no clue what good music is, just what will make a quick buck.  True fact about radio, the higher ups are given more free stuff from the record companies for playing shittier bands.  The record company knows they can't sell the shitty band without it being shoved down the throats of listeners, so they give the station all kinds of stuff that can be used for promotional material or employees for that matter.  DJs are told what to say and are punished for going off any of that.

Yes there are indy radio stations out there, but keep in mind over 50% of radio stations are owned by Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting (which is owned by Viacom, which also owns MTV).  And there are many other big companies out there that own a good portion of the stations like Sesquehana and Radio 1 (which owns over half of the hip-hop stations in the country).  It's tactics like these that are killing radio and since listeners don't bother to learn these facts and are happy as long as they can hear the new Usher song 27 times a day, it won't change.

And this is coming from an employee of a major radio station owned by one of the big two.  But once satellite gets big, we'll go through a radio revolution, which will eventually be ruined by corporate greed.  It would be nice to see internet radio get big and eventually make it into car stereos, but with the brutal and inexcusable abuse internet radio receives from record companies, that will never happen.

Campus/Community Radio is always the answer.

My local radio fucking blows too. Then I took on a co-op at the local campus/community station and figured out that all radio doesn't suck.

If you don't like MTV, and you're sick of hearing the same shit on the radio, try listening to your local campus station. It's like a breath of fresh air.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, is Nelly becoming another Ja Rule(pop singin' now!!!)?

According to dictionary.com..

Of or for the general public; popular or popularized: pop culture; pop psychology.

Of, relating to, or specializing in popular music: a pop singer.

..He's been pop for a while <_<

Yes there are indy radio stations out there, but keep in mind over 50% of radio stations are owned by Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting (which is owned by Viacom, which also owns MTV).

One of the best radio stations here is a community station, which says a lot about commercial radio IMO. But, then again, the reason I love this particular community station is because they have a 10 PM to 1 AM programming block called "Metal Machine" on Sunday nights that plays stuff like Slayer, Exodus, Cannibal Corpse, etc. etc..

A big station around here has a metal show from Midnight to 2 a.m. on Sunday nights. Another one has one from Midnight to 3 a.m. Who knew Sunday was the day to rock out to some metal?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with commercial radio. We all hate commercials, but that's how radio stations make money and keep people employed. I have no problem with that. The problem I have is when one company owns 13 stations in the 26th market in the country (out of 300 markets).

Guest Mr McFarlane

Lean back is much better lyrical than Head Sprung.

"R to the Ezzy, M to the Yzzy

My arms stay breezy, the Don stay flizzy

Got a date at 8, I'm in the 7-4-fizzive"

Could someone translate this for me please, my Pig Latin has gone to shit...

what was with that performance, it was confusing. Then agin, who cares about the crap that goes on MTV now anyways. It feels like there's nobody viewing what gets aired and what doesn't anymore with all the crap that fills the airwaves.

FUSE is awesome and it's the only station I can really watch.

We have to local radio stations dedicated to rock. One is Z104, which plays crappy, media-hyped stuff like Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd half the time, and then there's 104.9. 104.9 is the newer of the two, having changed their format just a few months back to rock. When they did that, they attracted all of the actual rock fans to the station, as they play the local stuff (which is actually good up here in good ol' Canada Light...err...I mean Wisconsin), the good rock like Crossfade, Chimaira, etc. (though one of the dj's doesn't like Breaking Benjamin, so they're not played, but whatever). I listen to 104.9 when I'm in the car and when I'm sleeping, so it's all good.

Back on topic, the VMA's suck now. They have for the last few years, damn pop music.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

"everyone welcom back this, and welcome back that/

He wasnt welcomed in the 1st place, why we welcomin him back?" im goin with Cam'ron & Juelz Santana on this one.

Guest The Survivor

Rizzy, Mizzy

My arms stay cool, the Don stay fly

Got a date, I'm in the 7-45

Ahh, I see, once you translate, than it rhymes...

if u cant tell what that is, your really fucked in the head,lol
Edited by The Survivor

That's why most of you don't like rap. 'Cause you can't actually listen to the song a couple of times to figure out what it means.

Or some people have different tastes. Stop trying to come across as an elitist snob, we already have enough of them here. Me included.