What bands do you hate?

METALMAN

10 hours ago, Naitch said:

If anyone told me they were a metalhead, and then followed up with Papa Roach or Limp Bizkit as their favourite band, I'd laugh at them. Never heard the term before "metaller" though.

Dewd! Everyone knows the greatest metal band is Korn!

:rolleyes:

Forgot to mention another band that I hate, but it's mainly due to my DJing days: Volbeat. I actually used to like a few Volbeat songs. But for a period of time I got requests for them a LOT. And though I haven't DJ'd for over a year and a half, I still can't bring myself to listen to them. I heard Dead But Rising on the radio several months ago, but I haven't actively listened to their music in ages. (Also cannot listen to ACDC's song Thunderstruck for the same reason.)

On 9/26/2017 at 11:42, Naitch said:

If anyone told me they were a metalhead, and then followed up with Papa Roach or Limp Bizkit as their favourite band, I'd laugh at them. Never heard the term before "metaller" though.

Hey. Guess what. My favorite band is Papa Roach. Listening to them right this second. This "real" metal/rock attitude is a bunch of horseshit that people should leave behind after they turn 18.

The difference there is you didn't define yourself as a metalhead as though it was the single most important aspect of your identity. I like Papa Roach too, up to Time for Annihilation at least, as I'm not familiar with stuff after that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, =BK= said:

Hey. Guess what. My favorite band is Papa Roach. Listening to them right this second. This "real" metal/rock attitude is a bunch of horseshit that people should leave behind after they turn 18.

The thing is, I agree with you. The only reason I get music snobbish at these guys is that they're the ones acting like their music taste defines them, and that metal is what they listen to and nothing else, and that being into metal makes them counter-culture or rebellious. There seems to be an inverse correlation between someone defining themselves as a metalhead or letting that be such a core part of their identity, and how much they actually know about the genre. In my experience, the 30 year old still wearing a Slipknot T-shirt and listening to all the same stuff he listened to when he was 16 is going to make a big fuss about being "METAL~!", where the guy with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the genre won't give a shit.

Listen to what you listen to, and that's cool. Like what you like. But the moment someone starts lording it as if it makes them special or different, fuck 'em, I've got no time for that. I'll begrudgingly accept it from a teenager, but if you're still doing it well into your 20s and 30s, it gets a little sad.

When I was a teenager, and into my early 20s, I was obsessed with finding new music - I'd record 120 Minutes from MTV2, I'd go to HMV and blow my wages on half the CDs on the new releases display, I'd do everything I could to find something I hadn't heard before. I get that not everyone was like that, and most people just found something they liked and will gladly listen to that for the rest of their lives. That's fine. But when people do that yet still act as if the music they're into is some edgy counter-culture, underground scene, it's pathetic. And I've never encountered it in any genre other than heavy metal, which is why I single it out specifically.

I guess it's a hangover from this idea that metal was something rebellious and scary, and that your parents would hate it, or whatever the fuck - but, again, if you still believe that, or care about that, at 30, sort your life out. The notion of rock and metal as something anti-commercial and anti-establishment is hilarious to me - you'll see guys ranting about "commercial" music while decked out in merchandise, or talking about not listening to "mainstream" music while listening to the most consistently successful genre in the history of Western recorded music. Like Jello Biafra said - there's not a gym teacher in America that can convince that many teenagers to dress identically.

• Like 3

I get what you're saying now. I just had knee jerk reaction to the Papa Roach mention because I've gotten so much shit from fans of "real" metal for my fandom.

I think heavily defining yourself as a "Metalhead" or anything similar is something to be left behind with the snob attitude too. It's felt weird to hear grown people do it. So I guess were on the same train of thought in a way. Like, in Highschool I called myself that but since then I gave up the act of being the scary metal guy and embraced all this other music. I love Rock and metal but I also love violin and electronic music and sweet voiced acoustic and pop songs. Anytime I encounter someone so stuck in one kind of music it feels odd. Oh and it's almost always Metalheads and Punks.  Sometimes Juggalos.

I cannot stand Katy Perry. I actually insisted that no Katy Perry song be played at my wedding.  

In general I don't hate many artists, but I cannot listen to the radio.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2017 at 13:48, Naitch said:

Arctic Monkeys. There seems to have been some weird cult-like obsession with them amongst a good proportion of university-aged males for the last 5 years at least, and they serve as the flagship band promoted by the "indie/alternative/pop punk" night at the only club in Norwich I've ever really enjoyed. Over the last year its made being there go from "I'll be ok if I avoid the main room" to "I can't stand it anywhere here now" and haven't been on a Friday for a month; probably my longest voluntary break since I started going out regularly.

Try starting university in Sheffield in 2006. Fucking hell.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hobo said:

Does anyone remember The Lighthouse Family? They were awful.

My friend once worked with someone who kicked in the radio of his work van because he was having a bad day and the Lighthouse Family came on.

• Haha 1

Meh, Ocean Drive came on Radio 2 the other day, I sang along. 

And I differ massively on Arctic Monkeys, I find the early stuff quite hard to listen to as it's very much of it's time, and while I loved it at the time there's only so many times you can hear a jaunty tune about a night out or that bloke what did that thing once in your home town. I absolutely love Suck it and See though, there's bits of Teenage Fanclub in there and I can only see that as a good thing. I get the Scott Walker obsession in the Last Shadow Puppets stuff but I can't see a massive influence in the main band.