The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

7 minutes ago, DFF said:

Heard rumblings that WV ep 9 has mid- and post- credits scenes. Can anyone verify? 

I finished it a little while ago and yes, it has both.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I finished it a little while ago and yes, it has both.

Thanks. I'm squeezing it into my lunch break later and need to know how much time I have haha. 

• Like 1

Finale.

Spoiler

Yeah, it's solid. Does what it sets out to & doesn't really deliver any surprises. 

I felt that, after all we've been through, she accepted the fading of her reality a little two quickly. I could've done with more catharsis and more conflict. 

But glad they've kept Kathryn Hahn alive for a later date & the end scene with Vision was very touching. 

It's a finale I expected and it was very MCU, I was just hoping they'd ramp it up / surprise me a bit more. That said, the right, expected ending, isn't always a bad thing. And I walk away pretty satisfied from the first proper Marvel TV show; still mad that we're getting this kind of high-budget TV. 

Ultimately, excited to see where they go with Scarlett Witch next. 

Spoiler

I think I'm probably coming out of WandaVision overall a little disappointed because the appeal of it for me was that it was a very left-field initial take on what an MCU show can be, and then it ultimately ended up resolving itself by being exactly what you'd expect an MCU show closer to the style guide and budget of the movies would be. But I'm not sure what I could have reasonably expected, it's not like this was going to be a Tom King Vision deal.

The most important thing, of course, was that Agatha survived. And she did, with a pretty explicit "I'm going to come back at some point" hook! So I'm happy about that. I like the way the episode embraces the Scarlet Witch stuff, too. Ultimately a perfectly fine show with some very good acting and a couple truly excellent moments.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

For sure.  I mean, I'm still waiting for the MCU to take more risks in their storytelling, but I guess their first flag ship TV show wasn't going to be quite it. 

I think it teased something great and I felt like we were getting close with character arcs and development. Still a step in the right direction but I'm with you. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:
  Hide contents

I think I'm probably coming out of WandaVision overall a little disappointed because the appeal of it for me was that it was a very left-field initial take on what an MCU show can be, and then it ultimately ended up resolving itself by being exactly what you'd expect an MCU show closer to the style guide and budget of the movies would be. But I'm not sure what I could have reasonably expected, it's not like this was going to be a Tom King Vision deal.

The most important thing, of course, was that Agatha survived. And she did, with a pretty explicit "I'm going to come back at some point" hook! So I'm happy about that. I like the way the episode embraces the Scarlet Witch stuff, too. Ultimately a perfectly fine show with some very good acting and a couple truly excellent moments.

Spoiler

I feel pretty much the same way. I think I may have given into the hype a bit too much, I was feeling let down because I was sitting the whole time expecting some sort of major reveal, or canon-shaking upheaval that was probably never really going to happen.

I enjoyed it overall and thought it was really good to see something as impressive as the MCU in a serial format, like Jimmy says, I just think they teased a bit too much of the mystery stuff to just wrap things up the way they did.

Like, Evan Peters wasn't MCU quicksilver, or even Fox quicksilver? Theres no immediate link to Dr Strange? Or a multiverse? I assume that the darkhold thing in the post credits is probably leading to that? I have no clue what that book is meant to be tbf.

I dunno. I think the first half of the series was incredible and the ending was sort of flat but still very much looking forward to more shows so it did it's job.

1 hour ago, Kaney said:
  Hide contents

I feel pretty much the same way. I think I may have given into the hype a bit too much, I was feeling let down because I was sitting the whole time expecting some sort of major reveal, or canon-shaking upheaval that was probably never really going to happen.

I enjoyed it overall and thought it was really good to see something as impressive as the MCU in a serial format, like Jimmy says, I just think they teased a bit too much of the mystery stuff to just wrap things up the way they did.

Like, Evan Peters wasn't MCU quicksilver, or even Fox quicksilver? Theres no immediate link to Dr Strange? Or a multiverse? I assume that the darkhold thing in the post credits is probably leading to that? I have no clue what that book is meant to be tbf.

I dunno. I think the first half of the series was incredible and the ending was sort of flat but still very much looking forward to more shows so it did it's job.

Spoiler

The Darkhold is a book made of matter from the same place where Dormammu lives (Dark/Hell Dimension). It's basically a How-To book for what the reader truly desires. And in Wanda's case... it's having Billy & Tommy back, apparently. Who knows where they could be. Maybe a place where mutants exist.

Evan Peters not being Quicksilver is fucking great, I don't care what anyone says. Everyone expected him to be MCU/Fox Quicksilver, or Nightmare, or Mephisto, and he's just RALPH BOHNER. I love the misdirect there all this time. We, the viewer, know who Evan Peters used to play, but Agatha just warped everyone's mind to make them think he was Pietro.

Finale thoughts:

Spoiler

I think because I'd already tempered expectations about big reveals etc (I'd read a quote from the director saying that some people may be disappointing if they're expecting something along that level), that I actually just really enjoyed the ride of the final ep. 

I called the runes spot, and thought it was done quite well. Like, Agatha sort of looks perplexed maybe once or twice when Wanda misses her but they otherwise don't dwell too much on it and I dug that. 

Looks like Rambeau will be joining the skrulls in whatever film/TV show they are in next, and I'm digging that. 

I'm guessing the final clip is leading into Doctor Strange. 

6 hours ago, DFF said:

Finale thoughts:

Hide contents

I think because I'd already tempered expectations about big reveals etc (I'd read a quote from the director saying that some people may be disappointing if they're expecting something along that level), that I actually just really enjoyed the ride of the final ep. 

8 hours ago, Kaney said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

This all ties in to what I said last week, it's the cast and crew feeding the hype and allowing the speculation to run rampant that is breeding the letdown that I think you're both and myself are feeling.

From a show standpoint there was no reason for Paul Bettany to do his whole "actor I've always wanted to work with, lol j/k its me" schtick, there was no reason for Teyonah Parris to say the engineer was going to be a huge reveal when it wasn't, there was no reason for Elizabeth Olsen to tease a "Luke Skywalker cameo" that never happened, and there was no reason to get Evan Peters to play Ralph at all. Everything was done or said to elicit the hype that the show got online, and then didn't deliver on any of them. It's evident they went for that as a marketing strategy, we all bought into it, and now here we are.

That said, I enjoyed the finale, and enjoyed every episode of the series, but my excitement peaked at the possibilities that were being shown when Evan Peters arrived and since then, with the exception of the Agatha reveal, it's all felt a little flat. If anything I'm annoyed at myself for allowing them to troll me for weeks and being too excited to see through it.

• Like 3

Finale thoughts:

Spoiler

Was I slightly disappointed there was no cameo from Dr. Strange or anyone else...sure, but I'm not going to let what would've been probably a 30 second cameo take away from what was an amazing show with amazing story telling. After last week, I already could tell the ideas of the multiverse theories were just fan theories running wild...and had accepted it because in the end, as a stand alone story - it was great.

6 months ago, I gave absolutely zero fucks about Wanda and Vision. Today, I was tearing up watching the hex come down as Wanda realized what she had to do...the added character development was just amazing and I dare say Wanda is now one of my favorite characters in the MCU.

• Like 3

It was fine.

Spoiler

It was basically Marvel cinematic universe in microcosm. Their ability to move beyond the conventional "superhero" genre and cast each story in a slightly different light was admirable for years, but every single time the third act fails to live up to the build.

We had a bunch of hype and some interesting opening episodes that raised questions, all for a final episode that amounted to two characters firing different coloured CGI magic at each other - which, frankly, is how every Marvel property to date has ended. So I was probably less engaged with the finale than with anything that came before it.

A ton of my friends are in group chats and Facebook groups that were poring over every tiny detail, hoping that this sign or this character would be a super significant clue, and really none of it ever was. It seems everyone was desperately hoping for this to be something much deeper or more complex than it was, when really it was a fairly straightforward sci-fi story told pretty well, but nothing more.

One of the reasons the MCU annoys me was evident among all of that, though - people freaking out about X happening or Y showing up because it's something from the comics, or predicting that the plot has to lead to Dr. Strange because that movie is coming up; it's all so meta, it's like second-guessing wrestling booking. But people have become convinced that Disney saying "you need to give us more money to see the rest of the story" or "hey look, it's that guy from that other thing you like" is good storytelling, and not just fanservice.

• Like 2

Spoiler

The biggest flaw with weekly TV like this is it lets people spend way too long doing fantasy booking. Especially for Marvel where there's so much speculation between movies because we just accept the fact each one is going to lead into the next. That attitude carried over into TV show speculation, which as everyone who watched Game of Thrones can tell you just gets extremely messy.

It's my hope that some of the TV shows will be much more independent from the whole universe. This had its expected tie-ins to Captain Marvel 2 and, presumably, Dr. Strange 2. I'm skeptical if that will always be the norm.

Overall as a finale it was the best of the plot episodes, and they built up the characters well enough where there were actual stakes for Wanda at the end. A big complaint I've had with the movies is far too often the lack of actual stakes, but it felt like they were here now. Which is work well-done in just 9 episodes.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Oh, and I disliked that Quicksilver was just gimmick casting. It relies on the audience knowing/expecting something based on out-of-canon/universe knowledge, not any emotional investment in the actual story. Again, the closest comparison is lazy worked shoot wrestling booking. It's aiming for a shock without putting the work in to earn it.

It reminds me of the last Avengers movie. They spend the entire movie teaching us that death in this universe is essentially reversible, but then give us Tony Stark's death as an emotional climax and this one's definitely real guys, not like any of the other deaths this movie has dealt with, or any of the other times we've told you that Tony Stark is either dead, dying or going to stop being Iron Man, this time it's real. The emotional investment comes from the viewer knowing that he's not contracted for another movie, not from earning the moment with any internal consistency from the story.

Also, the Ship of Theseus dialogue was cringeworthy. Vision asks other Vision if he's aware of it. They both are, yet having established that they explain it to one another at length. When they both already know it. 

39 minutes ago, Skummy said:
  Hide contents

Also, the Ship of Theseus dialogue was cringeworthy. Vision asks other Vision if he's aware of it. They both are, yet having established that they explain it to one another at length. When they both already know it. 

Spoiler

I’ll give them a pass on that, as I’m sure it needed explaining to 99% of the audience 😅

• Like 3