The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Again, my original exaggeration aside, it's not literally an issue of telling the characters apart. It's an issue of most of the characters not being far from the same mold, making those characters and the overall ensemble more bland in the process. There's a pretty good gender split, but I could do with a greater variety of ethnicity and especially "attractiveness" for lack of a much better word. Everyone's a model and mostly white. It's not ultimately about diversity just for the sake of it, but using anything at your disposal to make individual characters stand out as unique and interesting.

Like I said, over time, other factors may well make every character much more three-dimensional, but Coulson's pretty much the only character I currently care about significantly.

Coulson's the only character you care about because it's just the pilot and you know his character from other things. Of course you're not going to have a connection to the others, you don't know them as well as you do Coulson.

The other point isn't really saying anything other than the fact that you wish the TV industry wasn't as shallow as it is. If you want to lampoon the industry for that, go ahead but don't pretend that it's a real critique of the actual show because it isn't, as it has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the show.

Coulson's the only character you care about because it's just the pilot and you know his character from other things. Of course you're not going to have a connection to the others, you don't know them as well as you do Coulson.

The other point isn't really saying anything other than the fact that you wish the TV industry wasn't as shallow as it is. If you want to lampoon the industry for that, go ahead but don't pretend that it's a real critique of the actual show because it isn't, as it has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the show.

But it is a critique of this particular show. Just because others are guilty doesn't mean this one's not. I rarely bother with most other shows for similar reasons. In the end, I actually DO like this show and WANT to like it. That's why I shared my few complaints. I critique it because I like and want to like it.

It's shows like Big Bang Theory and NCIS that I usually don't even bother mentioning. Well, at least not beyond "yo, fuck that show."

• Like 2

Man, I think some of you are harsh critics. I loved the first episode. It had the right amount of humour and intrigue. Coulson is always awesome. Not to mention J August Richards appearing in like the first minute of the show. Makes me wonder how many other Whedonesque actors/actresses are going to show up.

Man, I think some of you are harsh critics. I loved the first episode. It had the right amount of humour and intrigue. Coulson is always awesome. Not to mention J August Richards appearing in like the first minute of the show. Makes me wonder how many other Whedonesque actors/actresses are going to show up.

A lot.

It's a Joss Whedon show. If Johnathon Woodward doesn't show up at some point, I'll eat my hat.

It was quite nice to read this thread (sans spoilers) first, the lowered expectations meant I really enjoyed it. As people said its a pilot so they had to squash scene setting and characterisation of a biggish cast into 40 odd minutes which I think they did a really good job of. Certainly gripped me more than say Alphas.

As a proud Englishman are we supposed to be hearing the banter between Fitz and Simmons? Just sounded like a noise to me, and her posho voice (who said Scottish? My word) is grating. IMBD says she's from Sheffield, I would love if she just lapsed into that post pilot. Obviously won't, but tv and film need a female Sean Bean to bring more South Yorkshire to the world whether the role requires it or not. She is fit though.

I thought the sound mixing was weird on some of the dialogue. It got way too easily overshadowed by the sound effects and music. Fitz and Simmons definitely got the worst of it because of how rapid-fire their dialogue is and the accents.

I was all hyped for J August and Ron Glass, only to discover one's a cameo and one's a bit-part.

The pilot was... okay. Nothing groundbreaking, and I'm not attached to the characters immediately, but it's got a lot of potential. If it didn't have the Marvel background supporting it then I'd probably be more negative.