The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Slowly working my way through Punisher. It's odd - I'm really enjoying it, but I don't want / feel the need to binge it at all. 

Finished Iron Fist.  I don't think I love any of the Netflix Marvel shows, I enjoy SHIELD a lot more.  I feel like they try to do too much in 13 episodes and there are way too many heel/face turns.  Daredevil and Jessica Jones were pretty straight forward as Hero vs Villian.  Luke Cage and Iron Fist had villains all over the place and building to things that never had a pay off.  I think its The Defenders next?  Then Jessica Jones 2 and then I'm caught up?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Finished Iron Fist.  I don't think I love any of the Netflix Marvel shows, I enjoy SHIELD a lot more.  I feel like they try to do too much in 13 episodes and there are way too many heel/face turns.  Daredevil and Jessica Jones were pretty straight forward as Hero vs Villian.  Luke Cage and Iron Fist had villains all over the place and building to things that never had a pay off.  I think its The Defenders next?  Then Jessica Jones 2 and then I'm caught up?

Punisher in between Defenders and JJ2

Finished episode 8 of JJS2, and I have been enjoying it so far. I admit it's been pretty slow going and feels half baked without a strong singular villain to build around, and Tennant was brilliant in that role, but it's still been more than enjoyable.

Stray notes.

- It's a show of broken toys, everyone in the main cast is broken in some ways. And the way they evolve/devolve from their points is intriguing, although sometimes melodramatic.

- Trish has fully devolved into being a broken shell of a broken shell. I felt a statement from the flashback sequences really echoed Trish, in that she's living vicariously through Jessica's exploits because she's secretly miserable in her actual life of fame/fortune. In their youth it was paying for Jessica's tuition, in the modern day it is Trish completely going off the rails with the combat boosters and trying to be a hero like Jessica. And also quarterbacking the IGH case constantly, acting like it's all about her. She's like an extremely broken version of her mother, using everyone around her because they're miserable with their own lives. And even going into emotional manipulation, whether that's Jessica/Malcolm, or her perfect British boyfriend.

Her entire story, her entire being, is that she wants to run away from her own reality and be someone else. And her going from the relatable 'straight woman' to hatable is a pretty good slow burn.

- Malcolm is the one that was evolving from a broken person to someone that was getting his life back onto track, and had found a job he's brilliant at. (The way he played Benowitz was pretty masterful). But then that snake bastard Konnan Trish pushed her combat stim onto him, and I must admit that it was the first time in a long time that I was yelling 'dont do it' at the screen. His sense of dread after he realized what he did and what was happening was heart-wrenching too.

But yeah, I love Malcolm, he's a naïve little puppy being pushed and kicked around at will by all the various players in the show. Whether that's Jessica using him as a honey pot to the building, or Trish playing with his emotions and admiration for her. He's come into his own, and at times is the most interesting and well played character on the show. Eka Darville deserves all the credit, because he's been brilliant.

- Jessica has been the 'stable' one, not devolving but not evolving. Being her surly high-functioning hatecoholic. But it's been interesting to see some progression, as small as they are, like warming up to her super and still having terrible taste in people. Also I felt genuinely sad when her monstermom crushed the skull of her scumboyfriend in the flashback stuff, because she seemed actually happy even if she was getting played by a smooth talking loser.

Her stuff with her mom has been so-so, and it indeed feels like she's a bit-player in her own show. But it's more so because her story has been a bit meh, rather than the other ones getting significantly more time.

tl;dr - I enjoy it, but it sure as hell is a show that revels in its depressive nature. Because every single character is a broken in some way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

Finished episode 8 of JJS2, and I have been enjoying it so far. I admit it's been pretty slow going and feels half baked without a strong singular villain to build around, and Tennant was brilliant in that role, but it's still been more than enjoyable.

Stray notes.

Hide contents

- It's a show of broken toys, everyone in the main cast is broken in some ways. And the way they evolve/devolve from their points is intriguing, although sometimes melodramatic.

- Trish has fully devolved into being a broken shell of a broken shell. I felt a statement from the flashback sequences really echoed Trish, in that she's living vicariously through Jessica's exploits because she's secretly miserable in her actual life of fame/fortune. In their youth it was paying for Jessica's tuition, in the modern day it is Trish completely going off the rails with the combat boosters and trying to be a hero like Jessica. And also quarterbacking the IGH case constantly, acting like it's all about her. She's like an extremely broken version of her mother, using everyone around her because they're miserable with their own lives. And even going into emotional manipulation, whether that's Jessica/Malcolm, or her perfect British boyfriend.

Her entire story, her entire being, is that she wants to run away from her own reality and be someone else. And her going from the relatable 'straight woman' to hatable is a pretty good slow burn.

- Malcolm is the one that was evolving from a broken person to someone that was getting his life back onto track, and had found a job he's brilliant at. (The way he played Benowitz was pretty masterful). But then that snake bastard Konnan Trish pushed her combat stim onto him, and I must admit that it was the first time in a long time that I was yelling 'dont do it' at the screen. His sense of dread after he realized what he did and what was happening was heart-wrenching too.

But yeah, I love Malcolm, he's a naïve little puppy being pushed and kicked around at will by all the various players in the show. Whether that's Jessica using him as a honey pot to the building, or Trish playing with his emotions and admiration for her. He's come into his own, and at times is the most interesting and well played character on the show. Eka Darville deserves all the credit, because he's been brilliant.

- Jessica has been the 'stable' one, not devolving but not evolving. Being her surly high-functioning hatecoholic. But it's been interesting to see some progression, as small as they are, like warming up to her super and still having terrible taste in people. Also I felt genuinely sad when her monstermom crushed the skull of her scumboyfriend in the flashback stuff, because she seemed actually happy even if she was getting played by a smooth talking loser.

Her stuff with her mom has been so-so, and it indeed feels like she's a bit-player in her own show. But it's more so because her story has been a bit meh, rather than the other ones getting significantly more time.

tl;dr - I enjoy it, but it sure as hell is a show that revels in its depressive nature. Because every single character is a broken in some way.

Your thoughts on Trish pretty damn similar to mine. I won't 100% call it but I'm pretty sure her arc was my favorite non-Jessica arc of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor things that annoy me rant about Agents Shield Season 5 Episode 15

Spoiler

Hale's backstory with a Hydra Academy?  I feel like they just thought Hydra should have an academy and didn't think that it doesn't make sense in the hierarchy of Shield, and decided to just toss the Hydra Logo everywhere so you know for sure these guys are the evil ones.  I get in the 90's Shield didn't know Hydra was still a thing, but you would think with the level of stealth they had in infiltrating Shield they wouldn't be a little more subtle about it, or Shield is just awful at looking at the background of their top secret agents.

2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Hide contents

Hale's backstory with a Hydra Academy?  I feel like they just thought Hydra should have an academy and didn't think that it doesn't make sense in the hierarchy of Shield, and decided to just toss the Hydra Logo everywhere so you know for sure these guys are the evil ones.  I get in the 90's Shield didn't know Hydra was still a thing, but you would think with the level of stealth they had in infiltrating Shield they wouldn't be a little more subtle about it, or Shield is just awful at looking at the background of their top secret agents.

Spoiler

Most of the top secret agents in SHIELD were Hydra already. They'd been infiltrated ever since WW2 when the defected scientists from Hydra joined.

6 hours ago, Azazel said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Hydra keep it a secret from everyone, then the people inside SHIELD make sure they cover doesn't got blown.

6 hours ago, angeluzcr said:
  Hide contents

Hydra keep it a secret from everyone, then the people inside SHIELD make sure they cover doesn't got blown.

Spoiler

I think my major issue was just the fact they had the Hydro logo literally everywhere, even the students wore it on their uniform. not very secret.

4 hours ago, Azazel said:
  Hide contents

I think my major issue was just the fact they had the Hydro logo literally everywhere, even the students wore it on their uniform. not very secret.

Spoiler

Yeah, it was a Hydra secret agent school. Sort of a twist on the Police Academy bit :shifty:

Line in this week's episode...suppose its a spoiler for Infinity War too

"You see the weird stuff happening in New York?"

While I'm curious how none of the SHIELD agents just happened to be in the "half the galaxy", it makes sense they don't address that.  We only have to wait a week for the follow up SHIELD episode, as opposed to a year for the Avengers movie

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lint said:

Line in this week's episode...suppose its a spoiler for Infinity War too

Reveal hidden contents

"You see the weird stuff happening in New York?"

While I'm curious how none of the SHIELD agents just happened to be in the "half the galaxy", it makes sense they don't address that.  We only have to wait a week for the follow up SHIELD episode, as opposed to a year for the Avengers movie

Spoilers for the movie and the last episode:

Spoiler

The events of the episode takes 1 or 2 hours at most,so the "Snap" hasn't happen yet, also depending of how they bring back everyone in Avengers 4 it may never happen.

AOS:

Spoiler

Straight up mentioned Thanos, and now Talbot thinks he can stop him. Oh lord.

Also, yeah, the Black Order just appeared in New York to go after Dr. Strange's time stone, so the snap hasn't happened yet. There's two episodes left, so one of those (probably the season finale) will take place while the Battle of Wakanda is happening.

The bolded bit in the spoiler is notable. The VO during the preview for next week's episode specifically mentioned season finale, instead of series finale.

• Like 1