The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

It was a good episode, but....

The stuff with Fitz was just unnecessary. Why kill him after all the growth that he's had this season? That's just reverting his character, which is shit. And going after the cryo Fitz feels like such a cheap cop out. Either ruin FitzSimmons (and make everyone sad/mad), or let them fucking be happy (which is what everyone wants).

Also! How the hell is Simmons ok with this situation!? "Welp, my husband died. Time to pluck out his past self from space." Like, no! That's not your Fitz! He's not the same!

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I was actually so confused by the whole conversation going on and I was wondering when they sent Fitz of the current timeline into space, not the one they came back to. Just really weird that she'd be okay with that Fitz, which feels more like a consolation prize than the person she actually loves. I mean, she made the promise to never leave each other's side with the dead Fitz, not the one floating in space. They went through other growths together, found out about Deke together, so this is just weird. I guess when they wake that Fitz up he'll know that he fixed the timeline by doing the whole body freezing thing. Just weird, IMO.

Also, he wasn't shot into space, right? Didn't the bald alien guy who I can't remember his name of just freeze him, then just keep him in the lighthouse with him? They had a spaceship?

Watched the first three episodes of Runaways. I'm really liking it.

Spoiler

Not hugely keen on the changes to Molly, but I understand the various reasons (issues of a younger child actor aging differently to the teenage cast if they don't have each season last a full year, bringing in an otherwise unrepresented POC into the group). It's not going to blow anyone away, but I feel like they have expanded on the original material well without betraying the feel (at least not yet).

I absolutely adore the visuals, the cinematography is exactly what I feel a Runaways TV translation should be. Old Lace looks a bit tacky, but that was something I expected going in because of budget. The casting is almost perfect, though I am not entirely sold on Chase just yet.

Basically, it's a good way to spend an hour or two at a time and I'd suggest giving it a shot as something a bit different to the other Marvel shows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

Hide contents

Not hugely keen on the changes to Molly, but I understand the various reasons (issues of a younger child actor aging differently to the teenage cast if they don't have each season last a full year, bringing in an otherwise unrepresented POC into the group). It's not going to blow anyone away, but I feel like they have expanded on the original material well without betraying the feel (at least not yet).

I absolutely adore the visuals, the cinematography is exactly what I feel a Runaways TV translation should be. Old Lace looks a bit tacky, but that was something I expected going in because of budget. The casting is almost perfect, though I am not entirely sold on Chase just yet.

Basically, it's a good way to spend an hour or two at a time and I'd suggest giving it a shot as something a bit different to the other Marvel shows.

Yeah, I've been enjoying it too. Not sure I can quite put my finger on why, but it does feel a little different to other Marvel shows. 

EDIT: Is Runaways meant to be in the MCU btw? 

32 minutes ago, DFF said:

Yeah, I've been enjoying it too. Not sure I can quite put my finger on why, but it does feel a little different to other Marvel shows. 

EDIT: Is Runaways meant to be in the MCU btw? 

Having not seen The Runaways yet, I'd guess its like Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows.  They'll occasionally acknowledge what happens in the MCU, but it won't have an overall impact on the show 

On 20/05/2018 at 14:27, Benjamin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

At the end of episode 5, Enoch - the bald guy - said he'd summoned a Chronocom vessel, and would take Fitz away from Earth until he woke up. At the end of the episode, he woke up in 2091 on said spaceship, which given the distance it is from Earth - 365 million miles - puts it roughly orbiting Jupiter. It's why the postcard showed up again; before getting in the cryofreeze chamber, Fitz wrote his "working on it" message on the back of it and gave it to Robin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Benji said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoilers for cast members in episode five...

Spoiler

Holy fuck, James Marsden and Julian McMahon in the same show? I am so beyond sold.

4 hours ago, Benji said:

Spoilers for cast members in episode five...

Reveal hidden contents

Don't think there are any cast members who are on EWB, though :shifty:

• Haha 1

So finished The Runaways...some thoughts.  First off, I only signed up for Hulu so I could watch this (it only cost me $3 to add it to my spotify account) and supposedly Cloak & Dagger will be on it, so added bonus

I didn't love the show, but I didn't hate it.  Thought it was just "OK".  Felt like a lot more could've been explained.  The entire "religion" in the show, Gibborim, just felt...meh.  It seemed like the ideas behind the religion weren't explained, like, at all.  "I'm going Ultra" "You're going to go Ultra" "You didn't go Ultra"...ok, you haven't explained what the fuck "going Ultra" means, so I really don't care!

And apparently Jonah and Karolina are aliens?  I only know that because I looked up The Runaways on Wikipedia and read she is.  The mother "not knowing" about her powers and Jonah also having them just says he's an alien also.  It would've been great for the show to establish they were aliens, or if they don't go that route, some reason for them to have those powers.  

But I did like some stuff.  I did think the teen actors and adult actors all had great chemistry.  

While there was no direct reference to the MCU that I can remember, it does feel like these kids grew up in a world with Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Doctor Strange, Thor etc... Simply because, when Nico showed using off that staff, or Karolina turned into a walking rave, or Gert could control a dinosaur, or Molly was super strong, none of them were really like "OH SHIT CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!"  and more like "Well, there is a green rage monster, Nordic Gods have walked the Earth, an evil AI tried to kill us all, a revived branch of Nazi's tried to kill us all....this just seems normal"  

And I really grew to like Old Lace.  Yea, it did look kinda cheesy, but it was a puppet controlled by 6 people, and it didn't look TOO bad for a streaming budget.  And the part were Gert says goodbye to Old Lace, while not as tear jerking as some moments in the MCU, did strike me as rather sad. 

Like I said, I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.  I saw AV Club gave the season a C+ overall, and I'd agree with that.  It built up a solid foundation and S2 should be really good

On 19/05/2018 at 21:45, Ruki said:

Reveal hidden contents

I finally watched this the other day. Yeah fuck that show. Kinda wish it had been cancelled after seeing that

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished Jessica Jones: Season 2.

Spoiler

Yeah, despite some good moments, I feel like this is the weakest of the Netflix MCU shows seasons besides possibly Defenders, which is a shame because S1 of this is arguably on par with Daredevil S1. The lack of any real villain - especially following Kilgrave - as well as pacing issues, and a lot of focus on Hogarth (who - seriously - does anyone care about?) definitely hurt the show.

It wasn't downright awful, there were some real highlights, and in particular the flashback episode I greatly enjoyed, as well as the stuff with Trish and Malcolm, and Ritter was pitch perfect as JJ again even if the actual writing wasn't great. I think it just felt like it lacked a cohesive focus. Nothing the show can't recover from, and I entirely get why people would disagree with my sentiment, but it just didn't feel like this season was as up my alley as I would have liked.

I'm just now getting into the Netflix Marvel T.V. shows. I watched the Punisher first which was probably the wrong order, but oh well, I love the Punisher. I thought it was a really good show...fucking brutal mind you, but good stuff. 

Now I'm watching Daredevil and all I have left is one episode of season 1. Going chronologically I want to watch Jessica Jones season 1 next right? 

Digging Daredevil as we'll, never was a huge Daredevil fan (didn't dislike him either, just wasn't as familiar) and now I'm more interested in the Daredevil comics. I dig it. 

19 minutes ago, Los Ingobernables De VP said:

I'm just now getting into the Netflix Marvel T.V. shows. I watched the Punisher first which was probably the wrong order, but oh well, I love the Punisher. I thought it was a really good show...fucking brutal mind you, but good stuff. 

Now I'm watching Daredevil and all I have left is one episode of season 1. Going chronologically I want to watch Jessica Jones season 1 next right? 

Digging Daredevil as we'll, never was a huge Daredevil fan (didn't dislike him either, just wasn't as familiar) and now I'm more interested in the Daredevil comics. I dig it. 

DD1, JJ1, DD2, LC1, IF1, DEF, PUN, JJ2, 

• Like 1

Started watching Cloak and Dagger on Hulu.  Only 2 episodes have aired so far.  Its ok