The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

@Lint

Are you referring to Cottonmouth? Yeah, that was a sort of weird and abrupt ending for him. On the other hand, Diamond Back is legitimately terrifying. His scenes always had me on edge. So I sorta forgot about Cottonmouth because Diamond Back was such a great villian.

Started season 1 of Iron Fist. Does it make me odd that I really enjoyed that first episode? Maybe I’m just easy to please. 

There's plenty to like in Iron Fist, and I didn't hate it as some did. But I agree with others on the sentiment that the series just spun its wheels for a long time on inane things, when it could've been doing so much better/cooler things with the character(s) involved.

Season 1 shows promise, but whenever it feels like it's starting to get going it slams the brakes again and you're stuck with an hour or so of frustrating side stories that make everyone look bad.

I feel Iron Fist the character is one of those that has the most flexibility and potential to do all kinds of stuff with, but they didn't do near enough with him in S1 and I hope they'll actually explore the possibilities in season 2.

Edited by Jasonmufc

There were times on The Punisher I actually thought the violence was too much, such as

When he's just dragging Russo's face across the mirror

Was actually cringing and going "Ohh...thats too much"

10 hours ago, Lint said:

There were times on The Punisher I actually thought the violence was too much, such as

Reveal hidden contents

Was actually cringing and going "Ohh...thats too much"

Yeah. That was fucking crazy, like god damn. 

• Like 1

I'd hazard to say that The Punisher was the most violent television show of 2017, maybe even of this decade if you not count the more ridiculous 'gorefests' like Blood Drive. If there's one show that has shown graphic 'realistic' looking violence it's the Punisher.

Then again, there's Hannibal and Game of Thrones (mountain + eyes). But Punisher's certainly up there in just showing shocking and unadulterated horrific violence.

3 hours ago, livid said:

I've been rewatching Agents of SHIELD and am on the season 2 finale and...

Hide contents

The way that Agent May sets up Ward to shoot Agent 33 when they go to rescue Bobbi is some seriously great stuff. 

Oh yea....post S1, pretty much everything AoS does is fantastic.  You could tell they were REALLY dragging their feet in the lead up to CA:TWS

• Like 1

Really good write-up and explanation of the things that went wrong with Season 1. And it's a real dilemma because as much as Season 1 brought everything down, without the vital character work they did in those terrible episodes also helped make the eventual HYDRA reveal all the stronger.

It could've been done much much earlier though, mid-season finale at the latest rather than pretty much to the end of the show. It treaded water for such a brutally long time that I personally almost gave up upon it even though I was a huge superfan back then as I am right now. It was just boring and excruciatingly slow paced.

Every episode and season since have been a blessing in a way, and it's easily become the best action-drama on television in those years since. But sadly it's never shaken its bad rep, and unless you're a Marvel superfan it's hard to recommend watching the majority of season 1 even though it sets so much of the table.

I never expected season 6 to become a thing, and it's clear the AOS writers also didn't. I'm happy we're getting an encore, but at the same time season 5 was a good ending even though it was bittersweet. It's going to be interesting how they'll do season 6, and I fully expect this one to be the finale for realsies.

And it's really the best time to depart, it's had its high points, their best character/actor has left, and there's no need to drag it on when all the stories have been told. So I'm going into Season 6 with a clear mind, because in a way i've already said goodbye.

1 hour ago, tristy said:

Iron Fist isn't nearly as bad as people like to pretend it is.

Agreed.  It definitely needed work, but it had its moments

• Like 1

It really looked bad at the time because it came off Daredevil S1/S2 and Jessica Jones S1, two series that set a really high bar for everything that followed. And even the first season of Luke Cage that was brilliant, and the second part that was less brilliant.

By comparison, Iron Fist IS the worst of the bunch, but it's still a pretty fun ride from start to finish, albeit really slow at times and I feel it has a lot of missed potential in terms of what they could've done with the characters.

It all wasn't helped by the fact Scott Buck was the showrunner of it, and 'fortunately' they removed him from IF2 when Inhumans ended up being the worst thing of the entire MCU by a mile. This is also the guy that was the showrunner of the final three seasons of Dexter, so yeah.

I have hopes for season 2 of Iron Fist, less episodes will be a good thing in general, and they've gotten past all the table-setting required to establish anything, so hopefully that means they'll forego unneccesary exposing and go right to the action.

How do you guys feel about feel about the villians on the initial seasons of the four main Netflix shows? I like them all for the most part. Some of which make me uneasy when they’re on screen. I’m always expecting a henchman to get waxed because he said something silly. Kingpin, Diamond Back, and Mr. Meachem (forgot his name) especially have been great. 

I feel Kilgrave is in a league of his own in terms of being the best villain in the entire Netflix continuity bar nobody else. Cottonmouth and Kingpin are both in a very strong second place, but they just didn't have the same disturbing gravitas Tennant brought to his performance as the Purple Man.

Kilgrave just got to me as a villain, and it was very much because Tennant made it work masterfully. A guy who could make you do anything he wanted you to do by just telling you to, even forcing an entire precinct to put guns to their own heads just to mess with his own object of interest, Jessica Jones. And of course the very much implied undertones of rape go a long way in making you just straight up despise Kilgrave, who abuses his powers because ultimately he's just a bored petulant manchild who only gets his kicks from using people.

Kingpin is also brilliant, but due to the character's general 'silent fury' aspects he feels a little bit underdeveloped at times. But D'Onofrio seems to be made for the role, and he's just perfect as a foil to Daredevil. A ruthless criminal who has machinations of being more, a guy that wishes to be remembered, to be a politician and basically run New York both under and above the table. He's clearly a dangerous man, but it's all a lot more focussed, controlled, but of course when he kills it's aptly gruesome and shocking.

Cottonmouth is very much like Kingpin, in that he's a gang leader that wishes to be more. Who wants to be the king of Harlem, more like an Avon Barksdale to bring The Wire references into it. A man who wants to be a gang leader, a beloved 'classic' gangster who gets respect through fear/control. But his sister is the wannabe mover and shaker.

I liked Diamondback and Harold Meachum are a bit more on the sillier side. Diamondback ventures straight up into saturday morning cartoon villainy the way he chews the scenery, and Harold is unhinged and crazy because of his resurrections.

Also very big mention, Madame Gao. A character you know is dangerous even though she looks like a pleasant old asian lady, unassuming danger.

• Like 3