The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Not really.  It finished in a way that, if Disney continues it, it'd make sense but also closed it enough that it was a satisfying finale.

Really loved the Cloak & Dagger crossover episode though.  Was disappointing that ended with a "You'll help us next time" that won't happen

46 minutes ago, Benji said:

I still have two episodes left. Does it end with a cliffhanger or not?

Mostly closed the storyline off, with a teaser that is fine unresolved if required.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

YAY Agents of Shield came back this week!  And the episode was great

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

The time-capers are a fun change and should help make this final season memorable.

Helps that Clark Gregg gets to be Coulson again and not "Sarge"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

“Come with me if you want to continue to exist.” 🤣

Oh Enoch, I love you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/08/2020 at 23:38, Rukaru Shida said:

This episode has reminded me how much I've missed Fitz. This show has done him and Simmons dirty. I'm still upset about the bait and switch death.

But, series finale next week. Let's see how it ends.

That was a good ending I think. 

I admit, I cried at pretty much all the Fitz/Simmons stuff. I'm just so glad that they finally get a happy ending after 7 years! While the reveal was awesome and I liked the way it all played out, I feel like the season would have been better had Fitz been in it more. Still my favorite character in the series.

Spoiler

From what I've read, Iain de Caestecker was busy filming another project for most of the time they spent filming season 7, which is why he was in so little. Which is fair and you can't blame him for, seeing as they thought they were cancelled, like, twice, and he wanted to keep working even if AoS was ending.

• Like 1

Finally spent the weekend binging through the final season of SHIELD after holding off on it until the finale had aired.

I must say, despite having spent the past four seasons in a state of acceptance that the show was basically going to be cancelled at the end of the season and against expectations got more seasons added on. I'm still in a mix of happiness and sadness that it's finally all over after six and a half seasons.

The final season was very much a delight, it was goofy, serious, and everything in between without ever going overboard on them. And I'm extremely happy that after the effective sendoff at the end of season 5, they still had the creative power to write a second sendoff that felt as good and as bittersweet as the last one.

I'm going to miss Agents of SHIELD, and in a way it feels like a bookend on an entire generation of Marvel series that I utterly latched onto and loved. From Agents to Peggy Carter to the Netflix stuff. That's all finished now, and by all accounts Marvel/Disney are going forward with more 'grown up' projects with proper MCU characters, where the other shows had been mired in creative purgatory as they were MCU but never got acknowledged as such in any way.

I'm sure the new shows like Falcon & Winter Soldier are going to be awesome, but I feel like nothing will capture the pure enjoyment I experienced from Agents of SHIELD in its peak seasons. The only thing that ever got close to me was my first experience of Stargate as a lad.

What Stargate (And Atlantis) was for me in the 00s, Agents of SHIELD was that in the 10s. I genuinely hope something comes along that will capture the magic in this decade...

Final Spoilery thoughts:

- I liked the appearance of Sousa as a character this season, but honestly felt he was a bit wasted in general and seemed to be only there for a few throwaway jokes and being a weird romantic foil with Daisy... Despite there being no chemistry whatsoever. He seemed a bit too puppy dog, and seemed too much like they tried to transpose the Peggy/Sousa romance from Agent Carter to Daisy instead... A bit of a missed beat. Not sure if they could've done more with Sousa though, but he definitely feels like he didn't contribute much to the overall proceedings other than fan service after they had done the same with Peggy in Endgame.
- The Deke/Mack episode was a gem. The goofy cheap 80s style evil robots complete with absurdly cheap and tacky effects was a delight, and was a great mid-season reprieve from all the gloom going on.
- Obviously like everyone else, so happy that Jemma and Fitz got their happy end fully and with no strings attached. A beautiful daughter and away from all the danger and excitement, after fighting for their lives for so long they finally get to live it properly, together.
- Enoch's death shook me harder than I had assumed it would've. And full props to Joel Stoffer for making Enoch such a memorable character despite being given such a limited emotional palette to play with. Absolute class character, and the death scene nearly had me bawling.
- Deke had to stay behind as the sacrifice, but it's a rare time where I'm happy they sacrificed a character for more than just emotional load. Deke gets to live his best life without being burdened by 'better' people around him, show off his own genuine intelligence in a world where he's the leader of SHIELD... And he gets to be a rock god to boot!
- I don't know if I would've preferred some cameos at the end, like Bobbi and Hunter in some passing way, since we already got a few cameos in the end, but it would've been a nice nod to the past? Would've been nice, but not a huge loss.
- I read that they had planned a final scene with Deke living his 80s rockstar/superspy dream, would've honestly not minded that because it half felt like he was kinda forgotten after his sacrifice apart from the throwaway reference during the final powwow.

But ultimately though, I really really liked the final season. It wasn't perfect, but SHIELD never was. But it did give me everything I had wanted from it and managed to pull the curtain and do a final bow that a lot of long running shows can only wish they could pull off with such panache.

I'm going to miss this show, but I'm happy to have been able to experience it for so long without going over the dreaded creative cliff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In news that potentially only I care about, because I fucking love Ms. Marvel:

Adil El Arbi & Bilall Fallah (Bad Boys For Life), Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (A Girl In The River, Saving Face) and Meera Menon (Equity, Farah Goes Bang) are all going to be directing episodes for Ms. Marvel on Disney+

I think Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is the most surprising one, for me personally.