General Podcast Thread

Hobo

It's been a long time since I listened but I'll give the feed a look to refresh my memory.

Aum Shinrikyo, Dean Corll, Ed Gein, Charles Manson, Waco, Richard Ramirez and and the 911 call episode.

@HarshMillennium

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HarshMillennium said:

@=BK= I've started listening to Last Podcast On The Left after seeing your recommendation a while ago and I'm loving it. Its both funny and interesting. I've heard Jonestown, HH Holmes, Leonard Lake & Charles Ng, The Donner Party, Carl Panzram and Son Of Sam. Can you recommend any other, preferably funny, episodes?

I listen to at least two episodes of this per day... lemme see. I really like them all and I'm leaving out some of my favorite series here - but I'm going to stick to the ones that have great voices by Henry or comedic bits that really stick out to me.

Satanic Ritual Abuse (68/69) 
Regional Monsters II (109)
Satanism In The Government (118-120)
Ted Kaczynski (135/136)
Charles Manson (147-149)
Hollow Moon (161)
Ed Gein (172-174)
Amnityville (175/176)
Mysterious Sounds and Recordings (177)
Henry Lee Lucas (182-185)
Hollow Earth (192)
Aum Shinrikyo (218-221)
Witch Hunts (223)
Bigfoot Hunters (232)
Billy Meier - Alien Collaborator (239)
Black Monk Of Pontefract (240)
Serial Killers and the Women Who Love Them (241)
Enfield Poltergeist (279/280)
Travis Walton Abduction - Fire In The Sky (284)
Norwegian Black Metal (285-287)
Robert Pickton (288-291)
Casey Anthony (307-308)
The Jersey Devil (314)
Flat Earth (334)

And then there's my favorite - I have Henry's impression of the Chupacabra as my ringtone.

Puerto Rican Chupacabra (259)

And then past THAT there are all the creepypasta/listenerpasta episodes where they read stories and make a big deal out of how Ben is a terrible narrator. I can't pick those out specifically because they all run together but they're good fun as well.

• Like 2

Do their multi-episodes have a lot of filler? I listen to Astonishing Legends from time to time. They did a 4-parter on Resurrection Mary last year that quite frankly should have been 2 or 3 episodes. As a result, I'm wary of listening to anything they do that's more than 2 parts now.

*edited to add* They've done a 3-parter on The Black Monk of Pontefract, and a 3 or 4 parter on Black Eyed Kids.....

Edited by GhostMachine

The Astonishing Legends BEK series was fun for Halloween.

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Do their multi-episodes have a lot of filler? I listen to Astonishing Legends from time to time. They did a 4-parter on Resurrection Mary last year that quite frankly should have been 2 or 3 episodes. As a result, I'm wary of listening to anything they do that's more than 2 parts now.

*edited to add* They've done a 3-parter on The Black Monk of Pontefract, and a 3 or 4 parter on Black Eyed Kids.....

They generally only do multi-part series on things that actually need it, and the multi-parts that go past 2 episodes usually happen because they literally couldn't fit all of their content in. First and foremost, Last Podcast is generally a comedy podcast more than anything - even with the content it's a bit of a lighter take, with only one of the hosts generally doing deep, deep research - with another one of them helping and/or doing more esoteric research for comedic talking points - and then another guy who purposefully doesn't read up on a lot of it so he can react to it. It's a great format.

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Cool. I downloaded the episode on the Jersey Devil, and will give a listen later.

Besides Astonishing Legends, I also listen to Beyond The Darkness occasionally. I recommend both shows.

Are AL or BTD funny? I don’t believe in ghosts and stuff but I still listen to those episodes of Last Podcast just because I find them funny. 

I've listened to a couple Last Podcasts on the Left and I reaaaaaally want to like it because I love the subject matter but I didn't find the hosts very funny.  Then again I think I mostly checked it out years ago and it looks like the episodes being recommended are from later on; if I didnt really like the early episodes, do you think theres any point trying, say, Aum Shinrikyo episodes (since a couple people pointed those ones out and that's something I don't know anything about)?

To answer Meacon:

Nope. They're both serious, though they do goof around sometimes on BTD. More often during the Supernatural News/Parashare episodes than the episodes focused on a particular subject.

I do believe in the paranormal,  because I know too many people who aren't crazy who have had encounters or incidents happen. However, I also believe that 95%+  of so-called occurances can be explained away as mass hypnosis, imagination, misidentification, just plain fraud, or other rational explanations.

*edited to add* If a show (tv, podcast, or otherwise) does an episode (or episodes) on Bobby Mackey's Music World, you can use that to judge the show's credibility. Ghost Adventures has none due to how they've handled the place. Its all gimmick, because the stories don't add up. One ghost that supposedly haunts the place is of a woman who had no connection to the location and was murdered nowhere near it. Yet the GA crew is scared of the place. Must have a hell of a bar tab there......

Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond The Darkness have a ton of fun in their Paranormal news episodes. I've been listening to Dave and Tim since they went on the air in like 2006. They use to be a whole lot more serious than they are now.

They only started doing those when they figured out they didn't have to bring in a Creepypasta guy from YouTube to do it like they had been. Kindy screwy tbh. 

I like Dave on Coast because they normally give him a good guest. I have a Midnight In The Desert subscription and I have no clue who books the guests there but they're mostly terrible spiritual, psychic crap. Can't remember the last one that was spooky like when it was still under Art Bell. I honestly end up throwing on an Art Bell classics stream at work sometimes still.

Basically listened to nothing but Not Another D&D Podcast this past 2 weeks. 50 episodes in and I love it. Still have no interest in actually playing D&D but listening to them role-play it is highly enjoyable.

I just found 'Our Debut Album'. It's just twelve episodes (+One bonus episode) long, and it's really good.

?format=1500w

Our Debut Album is the podcast where two comedians have one hour to write a hit song. Once a month, Dave Shumka and Graham Clark of Stop Podcasting Yourself get together and write a song they hope will be a hit. After 12 months, they’ll have a debut album. You get to hear the entire songwriting process, the worst rhymes ever suggested, arguments about themes and imagery, with all the boring parts edited out.

It's really good. What I like about it is although they're comedians, they're explicitly trying to write (relatively) serious songs. This is an old podcast, so the album is long finished, and you can listen to the finished results over on Spotify after each episode, or all at once when you've finished the show. It's a fun podcast and I definitely recommend it. Also, only twelve episodes so no big commitment!