General Podcast Thread

Hobo

On 6/6/2017 at 03:00, K said:

I've just subscribed to a new podcast called 'Ear Hustle' that was advertised on the latest episode of the Bugle. They don't have any full episodes yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Here's the 'about'

Ear Hustle brings you stories of life inside prison, shared and produced by those living it. The podcast is a partnership between Earlonne Woods and Antwan Williams, currently incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison, and Nigel Poor, a Bay Area artist.

The team works in San Quentin’s media lab to produce stories that are sometimes difficult, often funny, and always honest, offering a nuanced view of people living within the American prison system.

Nigel (who is a woman btw) has been going to SQ for a while working on this, so I think they have a bunch of episodes ready to release, and the first one is due next week. It sounds really interesting, all the sound design is produced in the prison, the interviews are done in house, everything is done in SQ, and they have no internet inside. They'll take questions from listeners via postcard. 

Yeah, have a listen to the preview episode, see if it's your thing.

Episode one of this came out the other day and I really enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Leviathan Chronicles posted an audio update on their feed yesterday. Roughly 3 years since anything on there. They're looking to bring it back and finish season two in the future. No dates as of yet, but I'm excited.

I've listened through the whole of S-Town. Was a good story. Seemed unfinished though.
Nearly finished season 1 of The Black Tapes. I'm enjoying it. These last couple episodes are gonna be pretty interesting.
Also The Hadron Gospel Hour have released episode 20 after a year long (ish) hiatus. Looking forward to this one too.

• Like 1

Levar Burton (Reading Rainbow/Roots/Star Trek TNG) has a new Reading Rainbow style podcast called Levar Burton Reads. It's got a couple episodes out already but I haven't listened yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really do podcasts any more, but I've seen a lot of praise for Athletico Mince, the Bob Mortimer podcast. Does anyone listen to it? I've seen the odd comment saying that it doesn't matter if you don't like football - is anyone in a position to confirm?

51 minutes ago, Skummy said:

I don't really do podcasts any more, but I've seen a lot of praise for Athletico Mince, the Bob Mortimer podcast. Does anyone listen to it? I've seen the odd comment saying that it doesn't matter if you don't like football - is anyone in a position to confirm?

Not listened to it in a while, but it goes off in tangents you would expect from Bob.

• 1 month later...

The Dollop episode about UBER, recorded just after the #DELETEUBER thing is really, really good. That company is bonkers and it's definitely worth a listen. The subject is much more contemporary than they usually deal with, but it's really interesting (And very funny)

https://thedollop.libsyn.com/271-uber

I've noticed a weird trend of my not liking podcasts by people who I enjoy as podcast guests. Namely Dana Gould and Doug Benson. But this could also extend to John Hodgman. I love John Hodgman but care very little for Judge John Hodgman.

• 3 weeks later...

A few months since I was last in here...
Finished 2 seasons of The Black Tapes (w/ Season 3 having just starting recently)
Finished 3 Seasons of Tanis (I think I like this more than The Black Tapes. It's a more interesting story)
Finished 1 Season of Rabbits (I don't see where they can go for a second season but I thought the same thing about Shooter on Netflix)
   With the above there is a lot of interaction between the hosts but only in reference to the story they tell. Which I guess makes sense as they all work together,
   but want to keep their work to themselves... I guess.. I dunno.
Finished 1 Season of Limetown (Hopeful for a return but two years off seems a long time.)
Finished 1 Season The Haven Chronicles. Season two can't be far off. Hopefully within a couple months.)
Finished 1 Season of Sundown Audio Theatre. (Different story every Season. Season 2 should be up within a couple weeks I think)
Finished The Cleansed. I tried it before and couldn't get into it. Thought I'd give it another shot and it's actually a really good listen.
   Great casting and I've never wanted kids to die more in my life (Not a spoiler)
Finished 1 Season of The Dark Tome (Sister podcast to The Cleansed. Based on short stories made into Audio Dramas. The first being The Devil on the Staircase.)
   They have a good way of interpreting the stories and making it flow with the overall storyline of the cast.
Season 2 of Our Fair City has started recently so that's on rotation with The Black Tapes, Kings Fall AM, and
Steal The Stars, which is currently my favorite listen every week. Aliens, Private Sector, Treason it's all basically there. Still a few days til the next episode :/

Lined up for my next binge listen is
The Orphans. I do believe they have just completed season 2. pretty short episodes (20minutes) so it shouldn't take long to get through.
Sight Unseen. Made by the same people as The Cleansed and Dark Tome, I think. Only 6 episodes so I don;t have much to lose.

From Audible I've listened to
X-Files: Cold Cases. If you've watched the show, you'll have no trouble listening to the audio drama. It feels like you're actually watching it as you can easily imagine the characters.

Just picked up
X-Files: Stolen Lives. Released earlier this week. I'm excited for it.
Locke & Key is going to be good too. I've had my eye out for it for a while until I just opted to get it on Audible.

You are the only person I've ever seen put Tanis over The Black Tapes. Tanis is soooo slow with a billion things to keep track of. Rabbits was fantastic though.

I think I just found it easier to follow. Black Tapes goes all over the place trying to follow this thing and the to this thing and we're back at season one etc. where as Tanis is basically focused only on Tanis.  And I may have got an audio crush on MK <_<

14 hours ago, MDK said:

@K Ear Hustle is great. Haven't listened to all of it but so far, so good. The one guy with his animals was sweet.

Glad you like it man. I made my sister listen to it the other day and she loved it.

I wanna be a wish dragon

🐉

1 minute ago, K said:

Glad you like it man. I made my sister listen to it the other day and she loved it.

I wanna be a wish dragon

🐉

I'm assuming you heard about it roughly the same time I did because they gave a shout out to it on The Bugle. Except that I forgot to listen to it until I noticed it in this thread >_> 

Did someone here mention a prison podcast? I can't seem to recall who posted about it but if like to listen to it as I am working on my own prison podcast and want to make sure not to delve into territory I shouldn't. 

On 6/5/2017 at 19:00, K said:

I've just subscribed to a new podcast called 'Ear Hustle' that was advertised on the latest episode of the Bugle. They don't have any full episodes yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Here's the 'about'

Ear Hustle brings you stories of life inside prison, shared and produced by those living it. The podcast is a partnership between Earlonne Woods and Antwan Williams, currently incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison, and Nigel Poor, a Bay Area artist.

The team works in San Quentin’s media lab to produce stories that are sometimes difficult, often funny, and always honest, offering a nuanced view of people living within the American prison system.

Nigel (who is a woman btw) has been going to SQ for a while working on this, so I think they have a bunch of episodes ready to release, and the first one is due next week. It sounds really interesting, all the sound design is produced in the prison, the interviews are done in house, everything is done in SQ, and they have no internet inside. They'll take questions from listeners via postcard. 

Yeah, have a listen to the preview episode, see if it's your thing.

@LL.

• Thanks 1