The thread where I list my 120 favourite songs in no particular order for no particular reason

METALMAN

Exactly as it says. Before I was finding songs for this I used to think I was pretty cool and had a really varied and esoteric taste. Then I realised that pretty much all of the songs I chose are singles. >_>

Anyway, let's get started! Feel free to tell me my choices are wrong and shit and stuff. And yes, Cher Lloyd will feature.

Zoey van Goey - The Cake And Eating It

(2011)

These guys were pretty big in the Glasgow scene a couple of years ago. I think anyone who has ever picked up a guitar in the area has shared a bill with them a few times (even me!). They've made two albums, both of which are pretty good. The first was a bit twee and acoustic. This song is from their second album, which is a bit louder. I'm always a sucker for a shared male and female vocal in a song, and this is an excellent example of that. It's enormously catchy, but it's charm doesn't fade after repeated listens.

Scott Walker - Jackie

(1967)

As much as I love Scott Walker, both now and then, I firmly believe he never bettered his first single. It's a Jacques Brel cover with an incredible cinematic arrangement, a soaring climax and crazy lyrics. The orchestration means it's not a million miles away from veering into James Last territory, but so what? It's amazing.