The 2014 music thread

METALMAN

On the above note, St. Vincent's new album is just outstanding. As good a listen at first glance as her other records and I don't really see the scattered arguments that this record is overly similar to her other records. I mean, I guess it is, but with a virtuoso guiding the way, even similar songs sure as shit can sound just as haunting as her previous work. And oh god does it.

• 3 weeks later...

Another album I have really fallen for is the debut album of The Mountains, a Danish (super?)-group consisting of Michael Møller and the Nordsø twins from The William Blakes. It is so lush, such gorgeous modern pop music. I honestly can't believe the fucking quality music that has already been released this year, actually. Behemoth, Fossils, Gridlink, The Mountains, St. Vincent, Sun Kil Moon, MØ, so any top albums. And I still have a few records to go through. So excited!

By the way, The Mountains, ladies and gentlemen.

New music from The Black Keys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZUY32iCzU

Pretty much what you'd expect from them at this point but considering they're one of my favorite bands, I'm excited! New album Turn Blue will be out May 23rd.

• 2 weeks later...

The War on Drugs is a fantastic band. Their last album, Slave Ambient, was really goddamn good. That has nothing to do with 2014 but whatever, go download that album if you haven't already.

It took a few tries but man, the new Todd Terje album is really sitting well with me now. My first impression was less than stellar, it seemed very hit-and-miss with a big margin from dull to fantastic but after a few closer listens, I am really appreciating the disco rhythms and the Caribbean flairs that Terje has molded into his house productions. It is a bit of a downer that a few of the best tracks have already been released as EPs but they are given heavy competition by "Svensk Sås", "Alfonso Muskedunder" and "Oh Joy". The only thing that actually really annoys me is that the track with Bryan Ferry is a doozer; it is incredibly uninteresting and sounds so out of place on the record.

Anyone else listened to it yet? RPS? Does anyone else even know Todd Terje?!

Love It's Album Time. His debut was well worth the wait.

The Duck Sauce album is really good. I was a huge skeptic, because I'm distrustful of most modern EDM. But it is a great album that is both retro and modern.

New music from The Black Keys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZUY32iCzU

Pretty much what you'd expect from them at this point but considering they're one of my favorite bands, I'm excited! New album Turn Blue will be out May 23rd.

Another new song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5a1Cl_JOJM

Still obviously The Black Keys, in case anybody was worried.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from HMV and itunes, where are good places to buy albums? I don't mind if it's physical copies or digital but I'm wanting to expand on my music collections without pirating and if I'd like to avoid using itunes wherever possible.

Yeah. Local record stores.

I used to collect vinyl. Just going to local record stores and flipping through their vinyl and CDs, trying to find great values on things, chatting with the people who work there. Nothing is better than flipping through a stack of vinyls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from HMV and itunes, where are good places to buy albums? I don't mind if it's physical copies or digital but I'm wanting to expand on my music collections without pirating and if I'd like to avoid using itunes wherever possible.

If I remember, you're from Cardiff/near Cardiff? It sucks that the only real place to buy music/games/dvds in town is HMV (and Game and CEX), but it's a lot more expensive that you'd find on Amazon or Play. There's Spillers in Cardiff (WORLDS OLDEST RECORD STORE!!1!) which might be worth a look, but the last time I went there (many moons ago), it seemed expensive as well and was more a novelty. As for online stores, I really like Google's Play store, it's cheap and much prefer their services to iTunes.

Anyway, the reason I came in here. I have a feeling that the new/old Michael Jackson song is going to be 2014's Daft Punk. An awesome, fun, fresh, retro, disco inspired summer song that every is going to get sick of by mid-summer.

About an hour's drive from Cardiff yeah. I agree about Spillers when I was there, it just seemed to be about the gimmick of its age.

Might just buy albums on itunes and burn them onto disks if possible. Cheers though.

• 1 month later...

new Death Grips!!!!!!!!

http://thirdworlds.net/

this is “niggas on the moon”, featuring björk on all 8 tracks.
it is the first installment of our new double album, “the powers that b”, due out later this year on Harvest/Third Worlds Records.
the second disc is titled “jenny death”.
peace & love
have a sad cum bb
-us

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1