The 2014 music thread

METALMAN

Lana Del Rey is hit or miss for me. Her first album had some good songs, some crap ones. The overriding problem with her is the concept of "female character in a David Lynch film set to pop music" has been done. Her name's Julee Cruise. She's awesome.

Damon Albarn's solo album was a snooze. Too bad.

Lone's Reality Testing is fantastic.

Ben Frost's A U R O R A was a great listen, though I don't think I'll listen to it much.

I didn't love the new Robyn/Royk EP, but Do It Again is probably Robyn's best song.

I listened to Mac Demarco's album a few times. Was nice and breezy. Would be a nice album for a beach party.

Keli's new album was a good experiment that didn't pan out. Some songs will probably stick around in my rotation for the year.

Hercules and Love Affair's new album is the most fun I've had listening to an album all year. I'd describe it as 'no-strings attached dance party'.

Le1f's new EP was awesome. Cities Aviv released a great LP. Hip hop has been a bit slow this year.

Soft Pink Truth's "Why Do The Heathens Rage?" is a gay couple reimagining black metal songs into gay club songs. They previously did it with punk songs on "Do You Want New Wave or Do You Want the Soft Pink Truth?" They are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irww9bTGVGM

• Like 1

No idea where to toss this. But this ''joke song'' might become this years top summer hit.

Fuck that Pitbull/J-Lo song, and whatever else might be in the running this year.

This ''Spanish'' song by a bunch of Swedes is addicting as hell and sticks immediately.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lana Del Rey is hit or miss for me. Her first album had some good songs, some crap ones. The overriding problem with her is the concept of "female character in a David Lynch film set to pop music" has been done. Her name's Julee Cruise. She's awesome.

Her latest album is much better. They've toned down the melodramatic orchestral stuff, taken away the Lynch-isms, and added more guitars. No lyrics stood out as being fucking awful, which happened several times during 'Born to Die' and 'Paradise', so that's a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Very well Tom Green..for one moment, your ok in my book