The Wrestling Bear

Boulder

“So,” I asked, “is there any way to make it so that he doesn’t, uh, y’know, in the ring? I had to buy a new canvas.”

Sophie answered me without taking her eyes or hands from The Bear. “When he does that, Mr. Fried, it means he’s comfortable. When he’s comfortable, he’s relaxed. When he’s relaxed, he’s easy to work with. Surely, a few canvases are no major inconvenience when it comes to a bear who’s easy to work with?”

“Good point,” I said, “but there must be some way to, say, make him ‘relax’ more before going out to the ring?”

Sophie smiled at me. “I’ll see what I can do.” She turned back around to tend to The Bear. You know, I had to admit, as weird as she was, she was one sweet-

“You can’t read people’s thoughts, right?”

“No, Mr. Fried. Only bears.”

Good. Good, good, good, good, good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for the reposts. New stuff is coming up.

Bear TV- February 16, 2004

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!” I shouted once again. “WELCOME BACK TO BEAR TV!” Actually, “welcome back” wasn’t the phrase to use; Hoss Peabody couldn’t make it this week due to prior engagements. Instead, factory worker “Curly” Haire came, though unfortunately, he didn’t bring any of his children. “Domination, fans, is an odd beast. For as much as it leads to the demoralization of one’s enemy, that very same demoralization heightens jealousy, anger, and the desire for retaliation. Tonight, we will see how The Hotshots demonstrate this desire for retaliation. Plus, we’ll have a four man mini-tournament to determine a number one contender to the Pro Wrestling BEAR World Title!”

Curly seemed enthusiastic. If only I knew he’d retain that enthusiasm during the non-Bear matches.

Semifinal Round Tournament Match: Mr. Boombastic versus Greg Pawluk

Greg Pawluk, the brilliant young Canadian technician, made his BEAR debut in this thrilling match. Pawluk kept Boombastic grounded in the early goings, stretching him on the mat and wearing out his back and legs. Boombastic managed to poke Pawluk in the eye, though, and from there, he gained the upper hand. A suplex damaged the newcomer, despite the fact that Boombastic’s injured legs kept him from holding Pawluk up for long. Finally, Boombastic hit the Boombastic Smasher and picked up the win.

Overall-51%

Crowd- 22%

Match- 80%

----------

“What a win by England’s own Mr. Boombastic!” I yelled. Curly seemed mildly amused as he leaned back with his arms crossed. “But we move from one potential challenger to two others- please welcome Chase Stevens and Cassidy O’Reilly, The Hotshots!”

Stevens and O’Reilly made their way out to the ring. Though Curly had never seen them before, he booed them, knowing they were heels due to their arrogant demeanor- and the fact that it was overcast, but they were wearing sunglasses. “Stevens and O’Reilly,” I said, “a please to have you both here. Gentlemen, I understand you have a surprise for World Champion The Bear.”

Stevens grabbed the microphone from me. “You damn right, Fried. We do have a surprise for that joke of a World Champion. Bear, seems like so far, you been smarter than you look. You had me and Cassidy’s number, we’ll admit. But not tonight, son. You see, you’re gonna wrestle tonight, Bear. You’re gonna put that World Title on the line tonight, Bear. And you’re gonna wrestle me.”

Cassidy took the microphone, “Or me!”

Stevens took it back. “That’s right, Bear. You’re gonna wrestle a Hotshot tonight. But you ain’t gonna know which one until match time! Chase or Cassidy, baby, Chase or Cassidy!”

Overall- 43%

----------

Semifinal Round Tournament Match: Jason Norcross versus Asylum

Asylum’s typical big-man offense may not have been original, but nobody would argue over its effectiveness. Asylum clotheslined Norcross, then hit him with a couple of powerslams. Asylum followed up with a Gorilla Press Slam which I liked, but Curly didn’t. “Bring out The Bear!” he shouted, embarrassing the three of us in the ring. We cut things short, as Asylum went for a slam, but Norcross rolled him up for the pin.

Overall- 38%

Crowd- 10%

Match- 67%

----------

Final Round Tournament Match: Mr. Boombastic versus Jason Norcross

We quickly jumped into the match, as I wanted to get The Bear out as soon as possible. Curly was an impatient man, and it was not beyond him to leave if he was unentertained. Boombastic rushed the ring and gave Norcross a German Suplex. He then went up to the top turnbuckle, and came off with an elbow drop. Boombastic covered, but I hesitated to make the count after the shady circumstances of his performance. He yelled a threat to me, at which point I made the three count.

Overall- 48%

Crowd- 28%

Match- 69%

----------

“Mr. Boombastic,” I said, taking the microphone. “Though your win was questionable at best, you will go on to challenge The Wrestling Bear for the BEAR Title next week. What are your thoughts?”

“My thoughts, Fried? It’s a bleeding bear!” I had urged Boombastic to play up his ethnicity, while at the same time taking an Un-American tone. “Maybe he’d be a challenge to you American wankers, but to a real man, an Englishman, he’s just a dumb animal.” Curly started a “U.S.A.” chant. “You fans know it’s good and true! You colonials are a piss-poor Xerox of us, and that Bear will fall tonight! Bugger all, it’s not even a Canadian Grizzly! American Brown Bear, my arse!"

Overall- 34%

----------

Pro Wrestling BEAR World Championship Match: The Wrestling Bear © versus Chase Stevens

As The Bear made his way out to the ring, Curly let loose with cheers, whistles, and even a “hot damn!” The Hotshots stood in the corner together, until Cassidy O’Reilly jumped out of the ring and Chase Stevens charged The Bear. The Bear snarled, so Stevens ran behind him, and kicked him in the posterior. The Bear grunted, and started to turn around, but Stevens followed The Bear’s rear and kicked it again. The Bear turned, Stevens followed, and kicked him again, but this time, The Bear retaliated with a back kick, catching Stevens in the gut. The Hotshot crumbled to the canvas, and The Bear walked over to him and started licking him. This was as good as a cover, I figured, so I made the three count. Cassidy O’Reilly ran into the ring to attack, but The Bear lifted a paw, and O’Reilly hit the road. The Bear went back to licking Stevens’s face and chest, and did so for the next seven minutes. Curly couldn’t get enough of it.

Overall- 64%

Crowd- 46%

Match- 82%

----------

Overall- 48%

Edited by Boulder

“The Bear is happier than he’s ever been before,” Sophie told me later in the week as we sipped on green tea on a porch swing right outside my house. “How’s Chase?”

“Soggy, but enthusiastic,” I told her. “And he had the added bonus of explaining a Frisbee-sized hickey to his girlfriend. So how have you been, Sophie?”

“Mars is in retrograde, making projects difficult to complete,” she told me. I was starting to enjoy this a lot, actually.

“Not for me, babe. I’ve got the greatest angle in Pro Wrestling BEAR history planned out for next week’s show. It should have the whole town talking.”

She poked me in the ribs playfully. “Don’t call me ‘babe,’” she said. “Is it really that good?”

“Am I generally one to brag?” I asked her.

“Well,” she replied, “not ‘brag,’ but you have a subtle ‘tooting-one’s-own-horn’ air about you.”

“There’s nothing subtle about this, Soph. I’m the man, and this is going to rule.”

“So long as you’re modest,” she told me.

Bear TV- February 23, 2004

I guess it’s true. You’re just never prepared to hit it big. I’m talking big-time big.

By the time we were ready to start Bear TV, there were five people in the audience. Now, yes, I’m realistic. I know that we’re not talking Tokyo Dome numbers here, but this represented an important breakthrough for Pro Wrestling BEAR: our first crowd. Things could only get better from here, especially with the angle I had in mind.

I stepped into the ring and took a look at Hoss Peabody, his brother, Cooge, “Curly” Haire, his wife Edna, and their son, Red. I could barely contain my smile. “Ladies and gentlemen,” I began. “Welcome to the biggest night in Pro Wrestling BEAR history! Not only are The Hotshots, the hottest young tag team in wrestling, in singles action tonight, but our main event is sure to thrill: The Wrestling Bear defends his championship against Mr. Boombastic!”

The fans cheered the line-up. Hoss and Curly started a “Bear” chant, and the rest soon followed.

Cassidy O’Reilly versus Jason Norcross

Norcross displayed some attitude early in the match, slapping O’Reilly across the face to start things out. When O’Reilly tried to retaliate, Norcross ducked and caught him with a back suplex. Things continued at this pace- O’Reilly was fierce, but Norcross had a physical response for every move. However, Norcross missed a superkick, allowing O’Reilly to hit one of his own. The pin followed.

Overall- 49%

Crowd- 36%

Match- 75%

----------

Chase Stevens versus Greg Pawluk

I was pleased. Hoss and Curly responded well to O’Reilly in the last match, and Stevens in this one. Maybe we could be more than just a one-bear show. This match was more one-sided than the previous one. However, it was Pawluk who remained in charge. He tied Stevens up in knots on the mat, drawing squeals from the Hotshot. This delighted Hoss and Curly. Pawluk regained control until the ending, when Stevens poked him in the eye. While Pawluk was blinded, Stevens rolled him up, grabbed the ropes, and scored the pin.

Overall- 49%

Crowd- 33%

Match- 77%

----------

“What great action we’ve seen so far tonight, ladies and gentlemen,” I yelled. “But the best is yet to come. I now present to you the man who has the opportunity to become the Pro Wrestling BEAR World Champion tonight, in this very ring! I present to you MISTER BOOMBASTIC!”

Boombastic came out draped in the Union Jack flag. Curly booed, but the others didn’t seem to know what to make of this.

“Shut your bloody trap, Fried. You’re already spewing bollocks. I WILL become the BEAR World Champion tonight. There’s not a sodding thing you, The Bear, or the hillbilly brigade can do about it.” Now, everyone was booing him.

“Well,” I said, “I’ll do my best to remain impartial… The Wrestling Bear is undefeated so far. Beating him is a tall order.”

“I’ll say it slow, Fried,” Boombastic got right in my face. “He’s… never… faced… an… Englishman… before! And even more importantly, he’s never faced ME before! I’ll be down there tonight, Fried. I’ll wear this flag down to the ring, I’ll beat The Bear, and I’ll take that title!”

Overall- 35%

----------

Asylum versus Flash Christian

This match, on the other hand, was not so well received. While Asylum tossed Flash around the ring, another “Bear” chant broke out. I think the fans thought that I would be happy to hear it, but of course, that wasn’t the case. Rather than end the match early, though, I had them keeping going. I’m still not certain if that was a good idea, but by the time Asylum Speared Flash for the win, the crowd was even more psyched for The Bear.

Overall- 36%

Crowd- 12%

Match- 69%

----------

Pro Wrestling BEAR World Championship Match: The Wrestling Bear © versus Mr. Boombastic

Boombastic, as promised, came to the ring draped in his flag. The Bear remained, well, bare. After his meeting with Sophie earlier today, he was pretty docile. He needed to be that way, though, for the post-match angle. Boombastic tried to put The Bear in a headlock, but a growl scared him off. Boombastic then went for a leg, but he may as well have been trying to uproot a tree. He then went underneath The Bear and punched up at his stomach, but The Bear sat down, pinning Boombastic.

Overall- 55%

Crowd- 43%

Match- 82%

----------

“Your winner, and STILL-” I started, but I was cut off abruptly. The Hotshots had run out of the back, and along with the newly-arisen Mr. Boombastic, they had The Bear surrounded. The Bear looked both confused and sleepy, but seemed a little annoyed when the three men started pounding on him. Luckily, he was pretty sedated, as Sophie had put him in a bit of a trance earlier. He went down to his knees as Stevens, O’Reilly, and Boombastic laced into him with worked punches and kicks. All five members of the audience were standing, looks of panic on their faces.

“This is horrible… just horrible!” I said into the microphone. But the “worst” was yet to come. Boombastic rolled out of the ring, grabbed his Union Jack, and rolled back in the ring. He held it up in the air as the crowd booed. Stevens grabbed a corner of the flag, O’Reilly grabbed another corner, and Boombastic took a third corner. They lifted the flag up, and did the unthinkable.

“No… no,” I said into the microphone. “No, it can’t be… NO! THEY PUT THE FLAG ON THE BEAR!!! THEY PUT THE FLAG ON THE BEAR!!! MR. BOOMBASTIC AND THE HOTSHOTS JUST PUT THE FLAG ON THE BEAR!!!”

The crowd seemed horrified, but supremely interested. The three men in the ring all raised their hands in triumph. Red turned his face to his mother’s dress and started crying.

At that point, a tear almost came to my eye. This was wrestling.

Overall- 52%

----------

Overall- 46%

“No… no,” I said into the microphone. “No, it can’t be… NO! THEY PUT THE FLAG ON THE BEAR!!! THEY PUT THE FLAG ON THE BEAR!!! MR. BOOMBASTIC AND THE HOTSHOTS JUST PUT THE FLAG ON THE BEAR!!!”

... My god. BRILLIANT. I love this diary so much, and a line like that warranted a rare reply in a diary from me.

OMFG! The bear is down for the count. How dare those damn hotshots... The two best bits about that show...

A classic line, but I just love this bit...

Red turned his face to his mother’s dress and started crying.

Poor kid, it must be horrible seeing three guys put a flag on a bear... <wipes tear> Those evil bastards!

• 3 weeks later...

Grammar/Spelling-Nothing wrong here it seems.

9 Points

Storyline/Angles/Promos/Booking-You didn't really have any storylines until you introduced the flag incident with the trio of wrestlers. Great stuff I think. Probably will become better as time progresses. Booking is done well although I haven't heard any promos. I want to hear a Bear promo;)

17 points

Match Writing-Just the right length needed for the matches and aren't so drawn out and simple and boring. Seem to convey a mental image in my head and that's what gives any diary writer props in my head.

12 points

Layout/Color Use-Nothing wrong here, I'm actually liking the bolder darker colors that you use for your shows.

5 points

Backstory/Diary Updates-How many backstories actually start out with you getting money for a federation, but only if you use a bear as one of it's wrestlers? It's genius I tell you, and the diary updates are enough to assist one's appetites.

9 points

Total Score-52/60 points(or a 86% which translates into a B letter Grade)

This diary has potential to be one of the best diaries out there if given some time to develop. Once you can really start rolling in the fans and have more lenghty events I think this diary could be one of the greatest out there. Some definate laugh out loud moments in there: your overhyping and screaming while one person is in the audience; your bears crazy match finishing moves; and the recent assault on the bear. I hope you continue this and make it into an awesome diary.

• 1 year later...