I read somewhere that on the Next-Gen you are undrafted.

Yup, the next-gen game (PC too) makes it a whole story-mode kinda affair with drama and all that good stuff.

You start out undrafted and have to play yourselves into a team. Depending on what position you took, some teams are easier to get into as other.

I started as a PG, and the demands from the Mavericks where much higher because they already got two decent guys in Nelson and Harris.

Nelson and Harris are not the worst to go up against!

I want to go SG first time around, hopefully land on a play-off team without a great SG starter.

It's an interesting system. You gotta have a try-out with a team you choose (not every team is on there), and depending on the general level of team and also competition, your expectations are going to be higher for the try-out.

Like the Hornets wanted to see a C from me, whilst the Thunder wanted an A+ performance.

The NBA 2K14 servers were borked until, like, December or January. So it may be a while. Hopefully it won't be, because the servers having an effect upon virtually EVERY SINGLE MODE, especially single player modes like My Career is unacceptable. And it really concerns me that the VC/servers being tied to VC could really, really impact WWE 2K15 and fuck that game over too.

They supposedly changed the way the servers worked compared to NBA 2K14 and redesigned the system so they could get really accurate bug report type things on their end (basically if something is wrong they should be able to pinpoint it in minutes rather than needing to dig around finding the cause). Having said that it doesn't seem to be working too well.

On the server front, I've gotten lucky and haven't really had any problems since day 1. Really enjoying the game so far, though. It feels very crisp and polished in comparison to last year's jump to next-gen. Lots of new animations and the charge/zig-zag/3-point cheese were things I was happy to see fixed. Also, actually making a lay-up after contact is pretty good. Plus, my favorite Raptors jersey ever is finally in the game :(Y):

Shaq and Ernie bits are short, but entertaining. Favorite was probably Shaq's story about Steve Kerr trading him when he was on the Suns.

Edited by Tyrone
  • Like 1

MyGM mode seems awesome so far!

Amen brother, what team have you taken?

Personally I really like the simple additions to MyGM that makes the mode much better. From the badge-system to the star-system and player descriptions where you can easily find player strengths without having to dig through every stat. And the improved training system where you can give players personalised training to actually make them better at the places you want to see him improve at.

And the manager level system reminds me a bit of the old NBA/NHL games where you could also slowly improve your skills and get more advantages by being a more experienced manager.

The ability to manage player/staff morale is also a good addition, and you can actually somewhat keep bench players content through smart conversations rather than be victim to watching them slowly get extremely pissed and see their attributes tank, without the ability to change it (other than put him in the starting 5).

The only mark-downs are some obnoxious Virtual Currency additions. Like having to pay 50K VC to buy the Jazz, or ''Buy'' a level. They're minor problems, but it's still a bit annoying and lazy nonetheless.

Gameplay wise I'm finding defence impossible. I'm used to playing tight on guards and it feels weird. As soon as they move you slide like you're on skates. I need to get used to playing a step or two off them.

I had the same problems early on, what I found works best is to keep an arms distance between you and the guard. Especially elite guys will carve the crap out of you if you try to be cheeky and either over-guard or attempt steals. Simply staying between the ball and the basket will force most guards to take it slow and look elsewhere.

Yesterday I won against the Mavs with the Jazz in the second game of the season, and Dirk Nowitzki was a one man wrecking crew once the Mavs started to lose the game. Guards were a boon, but it's simply a case of knowing their weaknesses and playing them to their weakness. If they don't have any weaknesses, well you're fucked and are left just preventing them from demolishing you.

Also it's a minor thing, but I love the new player portraits. The full-body portraits just look more impressive than simple headshots.

The heaviness of player movements is still something I gotta get used to, unless a good slider set comes out that nullifies that issue. But right now as a gamer that has gone from old-gen to new-gen NBA 2k, this game is awesome in every way. I can understand people who've played 2k14 on XBone or PS4 might be less impressed though.

Despite what's being said I'm still considering - how reliant is the game on god damn VC this year? It was the reason I had to return last time.

It appears to be nonexistent in MyLeague, which is the old franchise/season mode.

Despite what's being said I'm still considering - how reliant is the game on god damn VC this year? It was the reason I had to return last time.

It's not so much that it's reliant on VC as it seems the servers constantly try to check your VC, and end up fucking up to the point of people losing MyCareer mode saves, and so on—that's what I've seen/heard with a bit of searching around. That's just how it is for now, though. I'd wait until the servers issues get fixed.

• Like 1

I've heard people saying that they needed to grab VC in MyCareer mode to feel like they were progressing at any kind of a meaningful rate - I really like hearing how they change the adding stats to be a more general and streamlined thing. Just hoping that I wouldn't have to end up being a total scrub for three years... but then again I'm hoping the new shot meter helps me out there too.