General Music News

Benji

On 9/7/2016 at 19:55, GA! said:

Here's an interesting note on Spotify: sad to say I had an ear worm which happened to be Lostprophets. Morals (and quality of music) aside, it appears they've done a 'Chris Benoit / WWE Network' job on them - you can't find them on the search engine, but their Spotify page with their songs/albums is accessible through existing user playlists that have their songs on them.

Which begs the question, if Benoit's inclusion on the Network was done solely as not to seriously fuck up integral parts of continuity for five years of WCW and seven years of WWE, why is a band that in no way effects any other content around it actually still on Spotify? Why not just delete them?

Weird, if you search "lostprophets" they don't come up, but if you click "see all artists" they're on the list.

Fakeedit: same with Gary Glitter and Rolf Harris.

• 2 months later...

On 1/29/2016 at 09:25, Lint said:

I'm shocked that the biggest douchebag in Pantera is a douchebag.

I remember watching the Pantera home videos and thinking how much fun it would be to party with the Abbot brothers and the bass player and the rest of the entourage. Then there was try too hard wannabe metal tough guy Phil.

A doctor's been arrested in connection with the death of Matt Roberts, the original guitarist for 3 Doors Down. 

Rolling Stone:

According to Alabama news station WKRG, investigators filed a federal complaint, stating "Dr. Snellgrove prescribed Controlled Substances to Matthew Roberts for no legitimate medical purposes." In the filing, an unnamed subject described Dr. Snellgrove as a "celebrity junkie." The individual described the doctor's relationship with Roberts as "tight" and stated that the guitarist had appointments with him "after hours."

The document alleges that Snellgrove "prescribed Controlled Substances not for a legitimate medical purpose and outside the usual course of professional practice" from October 2010 through August 18th, 2016. Roberts had been a patient of Snellgrove's since at least 2004.

• 5 years later...

Tom DeLonge has rejoined Blink 182.  New song comes out on Friday, new album and world tour next year.  Let's see how long they can last this time around.

No word on what happened with Skiba, but him being freed up for Alkaline Trio stuff is always a good thing in my book.  It is a bit weird to see them just unceremoniously dump him out of the blue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Tom DeLonge has rejoined Blink 182.  New song comes out on Friday, new album and world tour next year.  Let's see how long they can last this time around.

No word on what happened with Skiba, but him being freed up for Alkaline Trio stuff is always a good thing in my book.  It is a bit weird to see them just unceremoniously dumb him out of the blue.

It's a shame it isn't being done as a joint Blink/Alkaline tour, that'd be perfect.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 17:26, Ruki said:

Managed to score myself an overpriced ticket. Further from the stage than I would like/am used to. General admission tickets are apparently going for over $400, which is just silly to me. 

Prices absolutely put me off considering I saw Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer for a combined £80 earlier this year (originally supposed to be 2020).

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Loving the new blink single. Got a classic Blink anthemic feel to it.

Weirdly enough I don't love it. It feels a little generic and hollow. Admittedly they're fifty years old still making songs about being a punk rock kid, so maybe it's that. :P

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2022 at 14:02, RPS said:

Mimi Parker of LOW has passed away. Very sad. 

Mimi Parker had such an exceptional voice. Go listen to White Horse - the way Alan and Mimi duet on that song is astounding. Amongst the chaos, the abstract, the noise, there is two people singing together in harmony, so clearly in sync with one another. Their voices imperfect, but the passion so raw and clear. When Mimi sings, you know she believes every word. Their songs move at a slow, methodical pace, which allows you to contemplate every word. On Fly, when Mimi sings "take my weary bones, and fly" you can feel the weight of the sacrifice. It's abstract, but you know and feel the sacrifice Mimi is making so the subject can fly. The greatest art is that which pushes us to reflect on our own lives. At the times that we can think of when we have sacrificed ourselves for others. I think of my relationship with my children when I hear Fly - of the ways I give my emotional and physical self in order to allow others to thrive. 

Mimi's contribution to Low as a drummer was also exceptional. Low reveled in the abstract, approaching melodies and arrangements in a unique way. The restraint in her drumming have life to everything around it. It is often overlooked how great subtle and restraint drumming can be. Every hit of the drum has weight. 

What an exceptional band and it is truly sad that we lost a visionary like Mimi.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...