The Witcher 3

DavidMarrio

Finally completed this yesterday, great game loved every minute. At times I felt the open world was too big as I would completely veer off and do random stuff but I can't think of many faults. I loved the 2nd Witcher and I can see why some people may not enjoy this one even if they aren't familiar with any of the others as at times it can feel a little slow in terms of the story and a bit clunky in terms of the mechanics.

I think this overtakes Bloodborne but not quite The Last Of Us as my favourite game I've played on PS4 so far.

• 4 weeks later...

The hardest part of work taking me on the road for five months has been having to stop playing Witcher 3 just as it was getting truly interesting. On my last night in Australia I managed to get old Gerard laid, but won't get to play again now until October-November >_<

Love how fully realised, alive, and gritty the game world feels. The next Elder Scrolls game could do worse than poaching a bit of this game's attention to creating a dynamic, breathing world.

• 4 weeks later...

So after I returned from my holiday I decided to get back into W3 and tackle some more sideplotty things...
I started to play Gwent...

I am now addicted in the worst way, and jesus christ my entire life revolves around scouring the map for people to play Gwent with, and hopefully win some unique cards.
It's a bit tricky to get into and it seems confusing, but it's actually pretty easy once you come to grips with the idea. The basic gist is that you really need to win with as many cards left in your hand, and then hopefully get the opponent into card troubles in the deciding game.

One useful trick is to stack your deck with spy cards, you'll place them on the other person's side and it gives you 2 cards out of your deck. If you have a lot of spies, you can basically kill your first round by just loading the other guy up with a bunch of spies and getting a lot of cards from your own deck, and then in the two rounds afterwards you take home a reasonably easy win because you have more cards than the other. It's not infallible, but the more spies you start your first round with, the better odds you have at winning.

Another tip is to always have the minimum of 22 monsters in your playing deck, and also as little possible trick-cards. Some people like to play with a bunch of trick cards, and I often take a dummy + 2 Commander horn. The former lets you remove a card from the table and back into your hand, useful if you're losing and you want to return your card for the next game. And the commander horn gives all cards a 2x boost across it's line, e.g. 12 damage infantry becomes 24.
I don't use weather cards, I don't like them and they are too situational to be truly useful.

Other than those, healers can be very useful to have, especially if they're mid-range power. They'll be able to revive any non-trick non-hero card from your discard pile, INCLUDING spies your opponent places on your side, so this might be equally useful if your opponent used a 0 power spy and you can revive him for 2 free cards against no damage boost for your opponent.

Finally your normal fighting card really must be close-bond cards. The reason for this is because cards with close bond double each-other's power if there are multiple on the boards, and the powers do stack. So having 3 close bond cards of 4 power will net you 36 damage from all three of them combined. Very powerful and useful, and they can really mess up an opponent.

Cards without boosts tend to be useful only as long as you don't have other cards that are inherently better. So I still got a few 6 power cards without specialties, but as I earn more specialized cards I swap them out for close bond, spies, and medics.

As you might be reading, i'm fucking addicted to Gwent and I am a fiend for new cards. So i'll stop it here and continue sleuthing for people to play and beat!

• 5 months later...

So the Heart of Stone expansion is excellent. The story is great and slides right into the main game and doesn't feel like it's been tacked on. The new characters are all memorable and fully fleshed out, I just can't speak highly enough about it and the whole game in general.

• 2 months later...

I got this a week ago. I've spent most of the past two/three days just walking around Velen and doing all the little things. And getting slaughtered when I walk across Level 77 Water Hags XD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Benji said:

When you've made a concoction/potion/whatever once, do they just respawn in your inventory after a certain amount of time? Cause the resources for some of these items are mad scarce.

Yes, in W3 all potions are permanent once you've made them once. You only need to meditate and a single bottle of spirits will be used to replenish all used potions/bombs/etc.

• Like 1