My step-dad went to the All-Star race last weekend. He said that Charlotte was by far the cleanliest track he's ever been to. I've been to Dover about a dozen times, since I grew up like half-hour from there, and Richmond twice.

I haven't watched in years, but this year I've caught Daytona, a few more, and today's race. I've been a Gordon fan for as long as I can remember him driving. I loved that he drove for DuPont, because my dad and grandfather both use to work there.

I honestly hated Nascar for the longest time and shared the view of a lot of people who never understood it such as "It's 3 hours of people going left" but after I chose a driver (Truex) and started cheering him, I've learned to appreciate it a lot more. It's sad that I have to say that I'm not a fan of Gordon...mostly because my mother is and I could never cheer for the same driver. :P

I was raised on it, since I'm the product of a very redneck family. Since moving away from where I grew up, I've majorly lost touch with it. When I turned on the 500 this year, I knew maybe ten or eleven of the drivers. It seems to be a bunch of young punks with no personality nowadays.

I do know of Truex, though. My step-dad was a huuuuuuuuuuuge Earnhardt Sr. fan, so much so that he sobbed like a baby the day he died. And he liked Truex, because Dale Sr. had handpicked him to be a part of his team and saw something in him. Clearly whatever it was he saw has yet to come to fruition. :shifty:

:P

• Like 1

I didn't watch today but I still want to try it

It's fun. I would try to pick a driver before you start though. I used the very technical way of choosing a driver....which means I thought Martin Truex Jr sounded cool for a name :shifty:

Oh god, why did you bring this evil to EWB? Now the Redneck is going to spread like a disease till we all look like this.

I used to be a much bigger fan than I am now. Used to watch every race and I have the autographs of several now retired drivers (including Richard Petty). The only race I ever went to was a Bristol race won by Dale Earnhardt Sr.

I haven't seen more than half the races in a season in about a decade, and usually watch only 3 to 6 a year now.

Why? I don't like the changes to the format, there's a distinct lack of personalities, and I believe the talent level is watered down. Jimmie Johnson already having 6 championships is astounding....and he's one of my favorite drivers.

My favorite drivers at the moment, in no particular order: Jimmie Johnson, Joey Logano, Brian Vickers, Brad Keselowski, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards and Trevor Bayne. Used to be a Tony Stewart fan, but not so much anymore. I don't care for Jeff Gordon, and absolutely cannot stand either of the Busch brothers (Kurt especially). I'll also be surprised if Danica Patrick ever wins a race unless its because all the drivers in front of her crash on the last lap.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

Oh god, why did you bring this evil to EWB? Now the Redneck is going to spread like a disease till we all look like this.

That looks fun as fuck.

• Like 5

Yeah, the format pisses me off. I read an article years ago now, that said if things had still been done the old way, Gordon would likely have six (at this point maybe seven) championships.

NASCAR really lost me when they added the Chase. They thought they were going to bring in a new batch of fans, but not only did that not necessarily happen, but they lost a lot of their regular fans, me included. Don't have a 36-race season and then tell me the first 26 pretty much mean dick. I loved the longevity and strategy needed to be consistent enough to win a championship.

• Like 2

Yeah, the format pisses me off. I read an article years ago now, that said if things had still been done the old way, Gordon would likely have six (at this point maybe seven) championships.

NASCAR really lost me when they added the Chase. They thought they were going to bring in a new batch of fans, but not only did that not necessarily happen, but they lost a lot of their regular fans, me included. Don't have a 36-race season and then tell me the first 26 pretty much mean dick. I loved the longevity and strategy needed to be consistent enough to win a championship.

Last year they started to make the first several races mean more by making it a "Win and you're in" type of thing. They feel it put more emphasis on winning and racing at 100% instead of running 3rd or 4th every race and somehow still winning the championship. It, like anything else new, still has some growing pains but it seems to be bringing out the best in people because now instead of hearing things like "At least we had a good points night", we've got people really racing hard for the win. And those who already have a win, well they feel like they've got nothing to lose so they go balls to the wall trying for another win even if it means spinning out like Jimmy Johnson did twice last night.

If they don't change the format, then I'd like to see them at least shake it up so that the drivers who have actually won races have an advantage over those who haven't when it comes time for the Chase. And I don't mean an advantage based on # of races won, just on having actually won a race.

Uproxx has a pretty neat story up right now called "Here's What Happens When A Northerner Goes To A Nascar Race". It's worth a read, I think.