Tennis!

sahyder1

I'm watching Nick Kyrgios against Richard Gasquet at the minute, Kyrgios loses the first set and goes a break down early in the second. Gets a code violation from the umpire and has then come out and basically intentionally lost every point on a service return game. What the hell is wrong with him? A 20-year-old man acting like a 2-year-old. It's pathetic.

Yep. I hate the whole "oh he's so humble and nice and lovely" everyone says when fawning over Federer all the time.

It's easy to be humble when you're winning constantly and going "he was really unlucky today, I thought he played a great match and could easily have won it on another day" or whatever, the second the cracks started showing and he began losing more frequently that humbleness and humility quickly fucked right off.

I don't care how they act on court, if they're shouting or getting angry with themselves or whatever. They're competing at a level of competition and athleticism I couldn't even dream of approaching in any sport, in the heat of that I'm fine with the way any of them act, by and large (obvious exceptions being if they start directing it towards the opponent or whatever). Here's an example, from the 2011 US Open, near the end of a season for Djokovic that's considered one of, if not the best season all time, and someone regarded as, again, one of, if not the best returner of all time, saves a match point with a return winner and goes on to win the match. Here's Federer post-match:

"It's awkward having to explain this loss, because I feel like I should be doing the other press conference. But it's just the way he returns that. It's just not -- a guy who believes much, you know, anymore in winning. Then to lose against someone like that, it's very disappointing, because you feel like he was mentally out of it already.  Just gets the lucky shot at the end, and off you go."

"Confidence? Are you kidding me? I mean, please.  Look, some players grow up and play like that. I remember losing junior matches. Just being down 5-2 in the third, and they all just start slapping shots. It all goes in for some reason, because that's the kind of way they grew up playing when they were down. I never played that way. I believe in hard work's gonna pay off kinda thing, because early on maybe I didn't always work at my hardest. So for me, this is very hard to understand how can you play a shot like that on match point. But, look, maybe he's been doing it for 20 years, so for him it was very normal. You've got to ask him."

Humility DZepyH5.gif Humble DZepyH5.gif

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that Australia has two very good young players in Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic, but both of them get as much attention for their controversial off-court antics than they do for their promise on the court. I could just as easily see either of them win a Grand Slam as I could see them spiralling into career self-destruction.

• 1 month later...